Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my wife an LCP, and I am looking for a good carry round that this gun will like. Anyone with experience with this?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
In many tests loads that use Hornady's XTP hollow point come out at the top.

Hornady Custom, Hornady American Gunner, Fiocchi and Precision One.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense

I'm sure you know this, but the Hornady Critical Defense has the Hornady FTX bullet which is the same bullet as the Hornady Custom which is the Hornady XTP bullet, but the FTX has a little pink polymer plug in the cavity, other than that identical. The difference in performance is quite a bit though, the XTP without the plug performs far superior than the FTX with the plug. Hornady Critical Defense with the FTX tends to stay closed, plugged up, whatever you want to call it especially when fired into clothing like denim. There is not a whole lot to work with in the little low velocity, small weight 380 bullet. I prefer and use the Hornady Custom XTP. YMMV
BTW, the Precision One XTP has a slightly higher rating than the Hornady XTP. Go figure, it must be right balance of penetration and expansion of all the parts that go in it.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Buffalo Bore has a 38 special full wadcutter at 850 out of a 2 inch barrel very accurate and not too much recoil and a full flat wadcutter to boot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, and that one is the identical ammo of the Custom renamed in a prettier box with a patriotic appeal. :D
Yes the box is very eye catching and seems to always be available at my local Academy. I've read very good reports on it. I use American Gunner 9mm +P 124 gr XTP as carry ammo in my Beretta Nano.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I carry Hornady Critical Defense. I've also been happy to carry PMC Starfire. I've taken coyotes and small hogs with both of these loads to confirm their performance on living tissue - I'd trust my life to either.

I've yet to find any ammo that wouldn't feed in any of our 4 LCP's, once they were broken in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes the box is very eye catching and seems to always be available at my local Academy. I've read very good reports on it. I use American Gunner 9mm +P 124 gr XTP as carry ammo in my Beretta Nano.
Going thru the manual, Ruger states not to use +P. Any reason ?
Thanks for forgiving the newbie question

·
Registered
183 Posts
Varminterror , want to make sure I got this . You've taken coyotes and a couple of small hogs with the 380 acp cartridge ? Or do you mean just that you've used the Hornady and pmc ammo in different cartridges and it's performed well ?

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I carry Hornady for all my firearms.
I like the
"CANNELURED BULLET WITH CRIMPED CASE ensures no bullet setback during feeding."
For my LC380 both of the following appear to have the cannelured bullet.
380 Auto 90 gr FTX® Critical Defense®
380 Auto 90 gr Z-MAX™

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Varminterror , want to make sure I got this . You've taken coyotes and a couple of small hogs with the 380 acp cartridge ? Or do you mean just that you've used the Hornady and pmc ammo in different cartridges and it's performed well ?
You read it right. I believe it's irresponsible to carry any ammunition or bullet that you have not proven on live game.

I've taken game with the LCP, but more often with a PPK/S in the .380acp.

·
Registered
917 Posts
When I had mine, I always kept it loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. It always cycled fine and had a good sense of accuracy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts