Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Ruger LCP Gen2 .380 today and it seems to have quite a bit of oil on/in it...especially where the spent casings eject.

I assume I should take it apart and give it a good wipe down before firing it?

Any advice or words of wisdom for breaking down and cleaning the LCP Gen2?

Thanks!

BCubed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Strip it down and get ALL that oil out of it. The manual shows you how to strip it and reassemble. My LCP was dripping with oil when I got it and I used a degreaser to remove it, then applied a lite coat of Remoil to the moving parts. You dont need to take it completely apart, just remove the slide and barrel and then remove the excessive oil from the slide and trigger componets, I use carb cleaner on mine, it works like Gun Scrubber but doesn't cost nearly as much. Reassemble and go shooting. {don't forget to wipe down your magazines too}.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Field strip it per the Owner's Manual, clean it per the Ruger video, oil it per the Ruger video, and go shoot!

·
Registered
53 Posts
My new LCP was pretty clean. I wiped it down with Ballistol and Breakfree CLP and lubed with Slip2000 EWL and Tetra Grease. Inside of the barrel was lubricated with Breakfree Collector.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
My new LCP was pretty clean. I wiped it down with Ballistol and Breakfree CLP and lubed with Slip2000 EWL and Tetra Grease. Inside of the barrel was lubricated with Breakfree Collector.
You say you use SIX DIFFERENT LUBRICANTS on one gun at the same time. That's simply incredible to me. Or were you just joking?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Also look into the tandemkross take down pin. Makes it a little easier.
+1 on this. Get the tool-less takedown pin.

I CLP'd mine and then put a THIN coat of oil on the rails. I tend to run my guns a bit "dry" and haven't had any issues.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,027 Posts
You say you use SIX DIFFERENT LUBRICANTS on one gun at the same time. That's simply incredible to me. Or were you just joking?
:eek: His gun was pretty clean... until he "cleaned" it! :rolleyes:

Maybe he sells lubricants for a living and is dropping names. Sort of like Peyton mentioning umpteen times after the Super Bowl that he was going to go have a Budweiser. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
:eek: His gun was pretty clean... until he "cleaned" it! :rolleyes:

Maybe he sells lubricants for a living and is dropping names. Sort of like Peyton mentioning umpteen times after the Super Bowl that he was going to go have a Budweiser. :)
Harbor Freight sells the 3PK empty, plastic drip bottles often used for gun oils. One of mine has 50-50% mix of two CLP oils. In case you aren't aware, CLPs clean the guns too. They keep things like lead and copper to a minimum.

Then I "slippery" oil the gun afterwards (currently) using Slip200EWL and grease the slide-areas with Tetra.

All my gun bores that see the outdoors a-lot get the best rust inhibitor next, that being Breakfree Collector.

Now hopefully I cleared that up for ya'. If you want to use (1) and keep itsimple and inferior to my cleanings/oilings/greasings, then knock yourself out.

I'm done with this. No time for bozo-talk.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Harbor Freight sells the 3PK empty, plastic drip bottles often used for gun oils. One of mine has 50-50% mix of two CLP oils. In case you aren't aware, CLPs clean the guns too. They keep things like lead and copper to a minimum.

Then I "slippery" oil the gun afterwards (currently) using Slip200EWL and grease the slide-areas with Tetra.

All my gun bores that see the outdoors a-lot get the best rust inhibitor next, that being Breakfree Collector.

Now hopefully I cleared that up for ya'. If you want to use (1) and keep itsimple and inferior to my cleanings/oilings/greasings, then knock yourself out.

I'm done with this. No time for bozo-talk.
I don't think it's any more bozo talk than you are spouting. If you want to use CLP to clean your gun and use "cleany" oil for that, the use "slippery" oil afterwards, and then "greasy" oil afterwards, and finish off with "collectory" oil in the bore, it's your business. However, I would like you to explain how a simpler method is inferior. Your assertion so let's see the proof.

While CLP does indeed have solvent properties, I will assert that while functional it may not be the best product for removing fouling.

You have to admit, your method is not common practice. :D

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,027 Posts
I've got a shotgun, a couple rifles and a revolver here in the safe that have accompanied me to and hunted in several countries across three continents as my career took me around the world. If my guns could collect frequent flyer miles, they'd probably have several hundred thousand between the lot of 'em.

Through all that, and some very steamy, equatorial environments, all they have is the usual scratches and wear from field use. No rust.

And that was only using (drumroll please....) one CLP!

Guess I just don't use my guns enough to warrant five or six CLPs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Really it's four.
1) I have a mix of two CLPs in one drip bottle for cleaning (Ballistol/Breakfree or Birchwood-Casey)
2) I then oil (Slip2000EWL or MPro-7)
3) I then grease (Tetra)
4) I then rust inhibit the bore (Breakfree Collector)

The reason I use something different for the bore is my gun gets caught outdoors everyday .... ahalf-zozen times a day sometimes...... all more than just a few minutes. For instance; I walk 2-1/2 miles twice a day, no matter the weather. That's 365 X 2. So that bore can get wet..... thus the need for a top-dog inhibitor.

My LCP goes in my front pocket unholstered normally. My Taurus has a hip holster that only partially covers it. So when my outer garment-cover gets wet, so may the gun. There's been times I stripped either gun more than once a day.

As a result of this, I demand top products for the gun and I demand a top-notch, working-order gun, in-case I need it for defense.

When I stated I was done with this thread, I did not see your post to me. Sorry for the delay in-response.
Now I'm done with this.

Happy trails!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a Ruger LCP Gen2 .380 today and it seems to have quite a bit of oil on/in it...I assume I should take it apart and give it a good wipe down before firing it?

Any advice or words of wisdom for breaking down and cleaning the LCP Gen2?
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

I always clean a new firearm before firing it for the first time. Read the owner's manual first. I then take a quick look at a video to see the take down and assembly. YouTube videos like this one can be helpful https://youtu.be/d1pcLtfAQA4

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
De-grease with rubbing alcohol then apply Froglube.
Same here for the most part. I use denatured alcohol to clean off the factory lube, heat the metal (per the instructions), apply the FL to season the metal.. Been using it for years and no problems. The big thing IS following the instructions to the letter.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Same here for the most part. I use denatured alcohol to clean off the factory lube, heat the metal (per the instructions), apply the FL to season the metal.. Been using it for years and no problems. The big thing IS following the instructions to the letter.
I switched to Frog Lube 3 years ago for all me guns, everything from AR15 to 22/45 and have yet to find a downside. I have always had very acidic hand sweat and could rust a barrel in 8 hours just shooting. After Frog Lube I no longer worry about rust of any kind. stuff is truly amazing. The real proof was using it on my table saw steel table. Amazing protection and lubrication without contaminating the wood being worked (problems with paint ans stain adhesion from lubricant/protectant).

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I switched to Frog Lube 3 years ago for all me guns, everything from AR15 to 22/45 and have yet to find a downside. I have always had very acidic hand sweat and could rust a barrel in 8 hours just shooting. After Frog Lube I no longer worry about rust of any kind. stuff is truly amazing. The real proof was using it on my table saw steel table. Amazing protection and lubrication without contaminating the wood being worked (problems with paint ans stain adhesion from lubricant/protectant).
I have that same problem with hand sweat. Always made sure I wiped off my hand prints after cleaning before putting any weapon away or I could find the same problem, finger print rust. It can also get VERY humid here in the Summer for long stretches. After finding Frog Lube, that problem disappeared completely. I also use mine on some of my hand tools that were prone to rust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts