Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at the range yesterday shooting my LCP the pin worked it`s way out and the gun fell apart in my hands while shooting it. Has anybody else had this problem?
The Dog:eek:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I shoot my LCP regularly and have not had this problem. Normally, the problem is getting the pin out to clean it. Did it seem loose once you assembled the gun?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I've had problems with the LC9 pins walking out. This is ridiculous though! Call Ruger on Monday. I'm sure they will compensate you a lot for this. Ruger is a good like that.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Call Ruger now, they are 3 hours different then us here on the east coast.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
While at the range yesterday shooting my LCP the pin worked it`s way out and the gun fell apart in my hands while shooting it. Has anybody else had this problem?
The Dog:eek:
Ha! Ha! I'm sorry... but I'm just envisioning seeing someone shooting the LCP and having the whole thing fall apart out of their hand before their horror stricken eyes... HA!

I'm glad you or the gun didn't suffer any damage though. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lcp

How do you think the other shooters felt after they ran out of the range when they smelt the CHIT running down my leg!!!!!!
I was glad I had my shooting glasses on when the slide hit me between the eyes:confused:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How do you think the other shooters felt after they ran out of the range when they smelt the CHIT running down my leg!!!!!!
I was glad I had my shooting glasses on when the slide hit me between the eyes:confused:
I'm sorry, you didn't mention any of that or getting hurt. My apologies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay - just fired my Coyote Special LCP for the first time and it flew apart on the 12th round. Was happy to see this wasn't just me with this issue. Luckily all my parts all flew forward, only the pin hit me in the head. Will call Customer Service on Monday.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
at about 400 rounds the slide rail fell off of mine. quit cycling and when i field strpped there it was. sent it back, ruger rebuilt the weapon around my serial number, she has been flawless since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me too! Only 65 rounds through it and falls apart as I fire it. I look down and I'm holding the gun w no slide. Pin is 99% out but not all out. This gun is being sent back.

I'm curious if maltise sent yours back and how ruger handled it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hate so say it but, this too just happened to me. First time firing my new Stainless LCP Mar. 14. Less than 100 rounds into it, my shiny new slide went skittering on the concrete(indoor range) springs and guide rod downrange. Pin was still in the frame hanging on by just a bit. Not cool shutting down the range to have the staff retrieve your brand new gun parts for you. Pistol did assemble, even fired a couple more mags. Still, it's on the way to AZ tomorrow. And this is why we fire our new carry pieces before putting them into the carry rotation! Stay safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is. But the wife has one also. No problems yet with hers, and she got hers in Jan. more rounds thru than mine ( if only by 50 or so). Random problem? assembled on a Friday? Hard to tell. When I was on the phone with Ruger CS explaining the issue, they said to send it out right away. So this tells me they know full well there is something amiss. Hopefully all will be made right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
one of the pins slowly loosens up on my p345 when I run a lot of rounds through it or when I rack the slide a bunch of times in a row. never had any problems with my lcp though. I would get ahold of ruger customer service if you have it happen again or any other problems. their customer service is the best

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have fired about 100 rounds through my LCP without any problems. In fact, I find it very difficult to remove the take down pin when I clean it. I have to pry it out with the edge of a knife or spent shell.

None the less, there does seem to be an issue with this as demonstrated by the link below. There is actually an aftermarket part that is now available for a problem the seller is calling "notorious for walking out and shearing, causing damage to the LCP during cycles".

https://www.tandemkross.com/LCP-Tool-less-Takedown-Pin_p_106.html?avad=48247_a633425f&utm_source=AvantLink

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
A comment and a question

Interesting thread. My LCP has always been a "carry-a-lot", "shoot-very-little" pocket pistol. It's my EDC. I only shoot it once a year when it's time to shoot out the "old" carry ammo and replace it with fresh. At that same time I'll run a box of WWB through it just to remind myself how funky the trigger pull is. :) It's alway been 100% reliable no matter what I feed it and I've never had any problems. The reason for this long winded "background" is to point out that I do not disassemble and reassemble it often so I may be off base on my following question.

If I recall, it's possible when reassembling, to miss having the pin snap into place and be properly "locked" by it's retaining spring. There's a well defined "click" when the pin slides over and is captured by that spring. Is it possible that improberly seated take down pins could be the cause some of these failures? Or, am I out in "left field" on this and having a brain fade in my recollection of the reassembly procedure? And, the necessity of carefully insuring that the pin is properly positioned and the retaining spring seated so the pin is locked in place?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If I recall, it's possible when reassembling, to miss having the pin snap into place and be properly "locked" by it's retaining spring. There's a well defined "click" when the pin slides over and is captured by that spring. Is it possible that improberly seated take down pins could be the cause some of these failures? Or, am I out in "left field" on this and having a brain fade in my recollection of the reassembly procedure? And, the necessity of carefully insuring that the pin is properly positioned and the retaining spring seated so the pin is locked in place?
You are exactly correct. I was going to mention that in my post, but assumed it was common knowledge that this spring is what was holding the pin. Maybe some springs are weaker than others or possibly the pin is not being properly seated during re-assembly? Mine seems to be holding the pin rock solid. I guess time will tell.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.