Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new LCP to the range and first shot was dead center target @7yds - unfortunately it went downhill after that. Accuracy suffered, mostly low/high but at least I know its me, not the gun. Also ended up with a blister on my trigger finger between 1st and 2nd joint, maybe I need to figure out a different way to hold it.

As to the failure to ejects (FTE). I was using the original Ruger mag. Ammunition was PMC 90 gr RN and Cartridge Co of the Phillipinnes 95gr RN. Yeah, I know, not the best quality but it feeds OK through my picky PPK/S and I heard the LCP eats about everything.

I had about 5 FTEs in around 100 rounds, experienced with both types of ammunition. The spent casing would end up with the primer end pointed slightly up and the front of the spent cartridge would be jammed between the incoming round and the top of the slide. On 2 of the 5 there was a noticable dent on the lip of the spent cartridge.

I understand there is probably some break in period but it was still a bit disappointing. Is this something I should be worried about? Anything I can do other than trying differt ammo?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Took my new LCP to the range and first shot was dead center target @7yds - unfortunately it went downhill after that. Accuracy suffered, mostly low/high but at least I know its me, not the gun. Also ended up with a blister on my trigger finger between 1st and 2nd joint, maybe I need to figure out a different way to hold it.
I've had better luck using the tip on my finger with this small gun then between the first joint.

As to the failure to ejects (FTE). I was using the original Ruger mag. Ammunition was PMC 90 gr RN and Cartridge Co of the Phillipinnes 95gr RN. Yeah, I know, not the best quality but it feeds OK through my picky PPK/S and I heard the LCP eats about everything.
I haven't had any issues with the LCP I shot, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it. Incidentally, I bought a box of those same PMC 90's just to break my new one in, but mine were made in Korea, not The Philippines. Maybe you got some cheap knock off ammo?

I had about 5 FTEs in around 100 rounds, experienced with both types of ammunition. The spent casing would end up with the primer end pointed slightly up and the front of the spent cartridge would be jammed between the incoming round and the top of the slide. On 2 of the 5 there was a noticable dent on the lip of the spent cartridge.
This is unacceptable to me, even on a gun that isn't broken in yet. Make sure when you rack the slide, you do it vigorously. Rack it hard and let it slam closed. Jams can sometimes occur with the wrong kind of racking.

I understand there is probably some break in period but it was still a bit disappointing. Is this something I should be worried about? Anything I can do other than trying differt ammo?
Yes, break in is important. About 150-200 rounds should be fine. And semi-autos can be finicky with ammo. Keep trying different ammo until it's broken in. Most quality FMJ target ammo should pose no problems. One SD round that is supposed to feed exceptionally well in the LCP is Hornady Critical Defense. DO NOT try +p ammo in this gun.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
PMC (precision made cartridges) is based in South Korea. They make quality ammunition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had few problems with mine within the first few hundred rounds. After that, the gun got broke in and/or I got used to it and the problems went away. Over 500 rounds and the last couple hundred have been perfect.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
I know it's not what you want to hear but my little Elsie Pea has been 100% perfect right out of the box with 320 rounds through it. The ammo included, in FMJ; WWB, American Eagle, Federal Independence and Black Hills. In JHP it's run several mags of Speer Gold Dot and Remington Sabre. It's never had a hiccup. I know because I'm one of those OCD types that keep round counts and notes on all my guns. :)

Rather than a "Break-In" issue it may be more an issue of you needing to get familiar with the little pocket rocket. It's important to keep a firm grip and VERY firm wrist to insure against FTE's and FTF's.

As you've discovered, it's not a fun gun to shoot and certainly not a range gun but it should function 100%. So, I would suggest, when your blister heals, that you head to Walmart, buy a box of bulk pack WWB and give it another go. Make sure to maintain a firm grip and a stiff wrist. My guess is you're problem will be solved. If you do continue to have problems, you may want to have a friend shoot it and see if he experiences the same. If so, it's time for a call to Ruger.

One final suggestion, which I'm sure you already know. Shoot at least a full magazine, from each mag you have, of the ammo you're going to carry.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes on your next outing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've had 1 FTEject in about 800 rounds, and that was shooting limpwristed, weak hand, 45 degree gansta angle( to bring sight plane into my dominant eye view),and with no magazine inserted

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Beau Bo, I just thought of two additional suggestions. One will help significantly to improve your grip the other is just a "it-works-for-me". :)

If you do not have the Ruger extensions on your magazines you should definitely order some. They give you a much more comfortable grip without sacraficing any weight or pocket carry size. They're very inexpensive and you'll find it's the best investment in a practical accessory you've ever made. Here's the link. Have a look.

Click here> SC01010-LCP-Extended-Floor-Plate-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

The second suggestion you may want to consider at some point, is replacing the recoil spring with a stiffer one from Wolffe Springs. (I now use a 13 lb. although I really liked the 15 lb too.)

The stiffer spring reduces felt recoil, lessens the wear on the gun's frame and will keep the brass from flying two lanes away at the range. :) The only "downside" is it requires a bit more effort to rack the slide. That's why I dropped back down to a 13 lb. from the 15 lb. In my dotage I'm not a strong as I used to be. :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts