Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LCP Gen2 Takedown Pin Probs - Updated

I have had my stainless-slide LCP for a couple of months and finally got it back out to shoot a couple of times. It's a 371* prefix serial number so I think it is a Gen2. I had fired it last fall and the takedown pin walked out immediately - so I ordered one of the TandemKross versions and installed it last week.

I was firing it yesterday - and didn't see any problems after mags one and two - so I fired one more mag and put it away. Low and behold, when I cleaned it today, the TK pin was about halfway out and kind of at an off-angle.

I stripped it and cleaned it and didn't see any damage on the TK pin or on the frame. I also just searched here on RF, back to March 2017, and didn't see any posts on this. I guess I could call Ruger and ship it back, but I thought i would ask here first. Am I stuck with this problem, and need to send it back, or is there a work-around for this? I like the little thing and it has been 100% functional otherwise ... and much smaller than my Glock 42.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Don't loctite it. You have to be able to take it out to disassemble eventually.

With the pin out, do you see an arm of a small spring blocking the hole? That spring snaps into the recess in the pin to keep it in place. If you don't see the spring it may have broken or it stuck in compression.

The spring sits between the poly frame and the metal frame insert. To change it would require taking metal frame out. There are probably some Youtube videos on that, but it would be more than I'd care to try.

Send it in and Ruger will fix it.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points, Gents - Thank-you! I'm calling the mothership tomorrow. Never thought of or heard of the barrel lug possibility - but, it makes sense now that you mentioned it. The spring is visible thru the pin hole when the takedown pin is removed. It's, otherwise, such a great little pistol for $200 and they have such a good reputation for being reliable.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update - I finally got thru to Ruger - they were hesitant to bring it in but I did get my UPS label. Tech person suggested trying different ammo and a replacing the pin. Told them that even the well-designed TandemKross pin walked out in five rounds. It goes out tomorrow - hopefully I'll have it back in a couple of weeks. Very few have responded to my original post so it sounds like (just an assumption!) this is not a common problem - or not many folks on RF have LCP's...

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Just an update - I finally got thru to Ruger - they were hesitant to bring it in but I did get my UPS label. Tech person suggested trying different ammo and a replacing the pin. Told them that even the well-designed TandemKross pin walked out in five rounds. It goes out tomorrow - hopefully I'll have it back in a couple of weeks. Very few have responded to my original post so it sounds like (just an assumption!) this is not a common problem - or not many folks on RF have LCP's...
I have the LCP II and have had no problems but you can bet I will double check from here on out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
True Grit had it right about the spring. I had aftermarket "tool less" pins come out on their own. The original usually only has a problem if the spring has a problem. It's not very hard to replace.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Lol, I have been reading about take down pins walking out since the first one was introduced. Many post on it. I had them walk out and I had them just break. A couple of times sent receivers down range.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just an update - finally got a decision back from Ruger. They had to destroy my LCP for reasons unk to me. They offered to send a replacement LCP. I counter-offered with a request for an EC9s ... and expected to have to pay the difference. Not so!! They are sending me an EC9s replacement for free. It hasn't shipped yet so a fly could still pop up in the ointment.

Bottom line - kudos to Ruger and especially to Ruger/Mayodan - they have done a great job and it didn't cost me a cent!!

Edited to add: File this under pure speculation; it was fired at least a few times with the takedown pin backed out. Maybe the pin damaged or rounded out the hole in the alu frame. Or maybe, just like mentioned, these little things are only built to last so long ... and to a price point.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Updates are greatly appreciated. I have an LCP so am watching closely.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That sure is an interesting outcome. I have to wonder exactly how the pin walking out turns into a can't be fixed situation . That tells me the guns that have this problem are out of spec somewhere and not just a pin problem . The resistance to sending it back by CS at first is also strange since the problem must be known by them . Anyway , Ruger CS came through in the long run .Good luck.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Just an update - finally got a decision back from Ruger. They had to destroy my LCP for reasons unk to me. They offered to send a replacement LCP. I counter-offered with a request for an EC9s ... and expected to have to pay the difference. Not so!! They are sending me an EC9s replacement for free. It hasn't shipped yet so a fly could still pop up in the ointment.

Bottom line - kudos to Ruger and especially to Ruger/Mayodan - they have done a great job and it didn't cost me a cent!!
I had two full replacements of the LCP's. I moved to another Pocket gun as I shoot a lot of ammo. The LCP's are not built for a lot of ammo down range. My last one is now in retirement and I just basically keep it for a truck gun. Don't shoot it anymore. My experience after owning 4 of them, is to start watching for problems around 1500 rounds. Ruger does not build these to last long. No steel reinforced rails at stress points etc. Many of the cracks and such come down the grip. And rails will split. It is a shame Ruger will not build a Robust 380 and one that is modular.
The LC9S seems to be built to handle the stress better. If you have a SR9C, break it down and look how they really did so much better in the build quality.
Thankfully Ruger has Great Customer service. I am waiting for my LC9S to come back. If they can't fix it, and they offer another gun, I will take another LCR. I have two of these and they really are built like a tank.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last update for those interested - the EC9s arrived yesterday and I picked it up today. I was afraid they might send me a factory second - but it it absolutely spotless. The trigger has more lateral play than my older LC9s - but for a $2 pistol - what can I say? The dealer only charged me the $2 state check fee to transfer it since it was a replacement pistol. To say I am happy with Ruger's customer service is an understatement!

It came with one US-made mag which does look better-made than the two I returned two years ago. Now, if I could just find a couple more Mec-Gar mags for it ...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Interesting, I have an LCP gen 2 and replaced the pin with a tool less pin. After 50 rds, it has not budged. I put a galloway stainless guide rod and 13# spring in it as well. Maybe that helps.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
It is probably the spring in the Grip where it holds it in. Personally, I do not believe in changing the OEM recoil spring. I do believe in changing the recoil springs often. As I said, I really would like to see Ruger make a guality Pocket pistol. A modular grip would be ideal. A grip , so easy to replace. Make them all stainless, beef up the receiver to reduce recoil and that high five slap. And there is no need for a Light Crisp trigger on a pocket gun shot at close range. At least put steel inserts on the stress points.
There really should be no need for a cracked grip or split rail.
Seriously, the New Spectrum is at least trying. Modular grip, easy take down etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts