Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been covered, Searching didn't reveal many good results.

I have a new LCP. First time shooting it today and all my shots were high and to the right. I've never had that problem with a gun. I usually always start off with a new gun low and left.

I'm certain it's me and not the gun.

I'm guessing it's my grip. I have a theory that since the pull is so long (and somewhat hard) that by the point it's actually firing, I'm 'pulling' the gun right as my finger is starting to curl. Does that make sense.

Any tips for gripping the LCP with larger hands?

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had to use more of my finger-tip in order to get a straight-back pull over the distance the LCP requires. Then I had to find a way to do that without rubbing the back of my trigger finger raw on recoil against the front of the trigger guard.

I also found that gripping the pistol really hard with both hands - almost an isometric exercise lol - controlled the muzzle better and kept my shots from going high.

Bottom line, I found it takes me a lot more effort to shoot this little pistol well than I can get away with on a larger, heavier pistol.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I had to use more of my finger-tip in order to get a straight-back pull over the distance the LCP requires. Then I had to find a way to do that without rubbing the back of my trigger finger raw on recoil against the front of the trigger guard.

I also found that gripping the pistol really hard with both hands - almost an isometric exercise lol - controlled the muzzle better and kept my shots from going high.

Bottom line, I found it takes me a lot more effort to shoot this little pistol well than I can get away with on a larger, heavier pistol.
Yep, same technique here. I always take it to range no matter what else I plan to shoot, jsut to get in regular practice as it's my primary carry.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I use the 1st. joint also. I would also recommend dry-fire drills.
One other thing, I put a Hogue grip on my wife's & we both love it($11)
The kind you have to remove the small piece of the mag. frame & a pin.
It's easy & you will love it for $11!

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have a new LCP. First time shooting it today and all my shots were high and to the right. I've never had that problem with a gun. I usually always start off with a new gun low and left.

I'm guessing it's my grip. I have a theory that since the pull is so long (and somewhat hard) that by the point it's actually firing, I'm 'pulling' the gun right as my finger is starting to curl. Does that make sense.

Thanks for your advice!
I bought a houge that was probably for a gun with longer handle. It extended below the handle and interfered with the magazine so I trimmed it. Much better grip and groups since then.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

I'll play around with my finger placement and see what works. For now, I'd like to avoid the hogue as I'm sure it adds a little bulk. I want to keep this thing slim and light to serve it's purpose.

·
Registered
334 Posts
As I've said on here before, I actually CARRY my LCP IWB using a 10-rd. ProMag. That gives plenty of grip which helps with control a lot. Even if you don't carry that way, I've found that the 10-rd. mag makes my LCP way more fun to shoot at the range.

I epoxied a small square of polymer onto the lower inside back of my magwell to make the 10-rounder fit nice and tight... This setup is not for everyone but it works for me.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I bought a houge that was probably for a gun with longer handle. It extended below the handle and interfered with the magazine so I trimmed it. Much better grip and groups since then.
I am not referring the the universal "slip-on" Hogue grip. I'm talking about the 1 that's made just for the LCP.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I look at my LCP as an up-close and personal defensive weapon. I practice inside of 21' and closer, with silhouette targets, point shooting and moving off the X. I never looked at this particular pistol as a target gun. If I can present smoothly and safely, hit center mass doing my drills inside the 21' zone, I feel the gun is doing what it was meant to do. If I want to drill holes through a bullseye, I get out the MarkIII or my revolvers. I'm lucky if I can put 100 rnds through the LCP before my hand screams "enough"!

·
Registered
332 Posts
i look at my lcp as an up-close and personal defensive weapon. I practice inside of 21' and closer, with silhouette targets, point shooting and moving off the x. I never looked at this particular pistol as a target gun. If i can present smoothly and safely, hit center mass doing my drills inside the 21' zone, i feel the gun is doing what it was meant to do.
Bingo!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had excellent results after I installed the Pearce Extension Grips on my LCP. Depending on you hand size you can almost get another finger on the pistol grip.

Check them out:

Pearce Grips

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had excellent results after I installed the Pearce Extension Grips on my LCP. Depending on you hand size you can almost get another finger on the pistol grip.

Check them out:

Pearce Grips
I have looked at this. Is it better than the ruger supplied one?

Also, does it make it less pocket carry friendly? I'm guessing not, but it being super concealable is the only reason I have it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It would make it less pocket friendly. I have the Hougue hybrid grip. I took it off to send my LCP back for repair. I haven't put it back on, and I'm shooting better without it, arthritic hands and all.

I found the added girth and stickiness to be an issue, with it coming out of the pocket smooth, plus the rubber sticking to my clothes when carrying IWB. YMMV

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have looked at this. Is it better than the ruger supplied one?

Also, does it make it less pocket carry friendly? I'm guessing not, but it being super concealable is the only reason I have it.
The pearce is larger than the ruger. It fits just fine in my pocket holster and it does print in you back pocket if you are wearing jeans.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've had this same exact problem, not with the LCP but with the LCR! When I carefully aimed dead center, the shots were high/right. When I pointed the LCR off to the left of target, then it hit close to where I intended it. Not such a big deal for casual target practice with a little gun, but it is a BIG problem when your life is on the line, for in a stressful self defense scenario, I'm going to be pointing dead center at what I think I'm trying to hit, not off to the left. Ironically, when out of frustration I unloaded all five shots as fast as I could pull the trigger on the head outline of the target I hit almost dead center on four out of five!

Considering we both have fundamentally different guns (although by the same maker) you are probably right. It will take much practice for us to get to know our weapons and how they work. I eventuality plan on getting a Crimson Trace laser for mine.

Both the LCP and LCR have long trigger pulls. Using a laser might show you were you are going wrong.

I found that using the tip of my finger with the LCP, rather then right under the first knuckle as with the LCR, provided better results. Not an ideal shooting position but you have to adjust for a gun this small. Also, use the included grip extender. With a gun this small the benefits outweigh any lack of concealability.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks for your advice!
You may want to try a longer grip extension for better control. Check out this site:Garrison Grip - Home page

1 - 17 of 17 Posts