Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface by saying I have owned several Rugers over the years and currently own four, but daughter recently ‘borrowed’ my Taurus TX22. I picked up a Ruger LCPII just for plinking and there is a lot I like about it. But can’t seem to get through a whole mag without jams or light strikes. I am running bulk Remington ammo but never had any issues with Taurus. Round count is around 300 right now. Being told that it’ll get better once I get up to 500 to 1000 rounds. Also being told need to feed better ammo. Any one else have to break their pistol in?

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are other threads on this topic. However, when I first got mine it was awful in regards to jams, double feeds, fail to eject on its first trip to the range. I did two things. 1) made sure the top round of the mag was seated properly.
2) started using a really firm two handed grip.
Since then I’ve not had any issues. Others continue to have problems.
I only shoot CCI Mini Mags, Remington Golden.
Very happy with the gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I found the other threads after posting and lots of good suggestions. Understand rimfire is always going to present problems but had older Ruger 22/45 (wish I’d kept) that ate everything.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,579 Posts
Ours continue to work but both only have just over 500 rounds. I did have issues with a batch of GBs that would not ignite even on 2nd. strike in a LCRx 22LR. Loaded mags with Mini Mags and had no issues. Yesterday I tested Blazers and Federal and did great. I clean mine with each use. So far cycles well.
My wife's does only have 500 rounds so we will see how that one does when I get my hands on it. She only shoots Mini Mags and has had good luck with it. Good luck, keep reporting any issues. I quit anticipating problems with mine and decided to enjoy the little 22. Moving on now to SA project.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Federal AutoMatch bulk won't go more than a few rounds without a failure in my LCP. It doesn't seem to have enough power to cycle the slide. Just about every failure leaves the case in the chamber and the hammer uncocked.

Leaving the 150 rounds of that crap aside, mine also has 400 rounds of 40gr CPRN Mini Mags with 5 light strikes, 100 rounds of 36gr JHP Mini Mags with 1 failure to feed, and 50 rounds of Aguila Interceptors with no failures. I think the hotter the ammo, the better.

When I bought mine, the owner of my LGS warned me that his shop had been seeing light strikes, especially with Mini Mags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Preface by saying I have owned several Rugers over the years and currently own four, but daughter recently ‘borrowed’ my Taurus TX22. I picked up a Ruger LCPII just for plinking and there is a lot I like about it. But can’t seem to get through a whole mag without jams or light strikes. I am running bulk Remington ammo but never had any issues with Taurus. Round count is around 300 right now. Being told that it’ll get better once I get up to 500 to 1000 rounds. Also being told need to feed better ammo. Any one else have to break their pistol in?
There are several listings about the LCP II and ammo issues. You will need to experiment with different brands, if I was you, I'd stay away from the Wally World tubs or 500 round boxes. With mine the Aguila Super Extra copper coated 38 gr HP does fantastic. I'd rather shoot the copper than the lead, it's a little cleaner on the barrel. Check around on line for sales, I picked up 1,000 rounds for I think $2.49 a box of 50. That's a descent price. Also you will notice if indoors shooting the Aguila rounds have a different smell that the cheap loads, it's almost like a sweet smell to me, ha, it's just different. Enjoy you .22, I love mine. Get a "BabyUpLULA" to load your magazines, it's a lot better than the one Ruger sends with the gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Aguila rimfire ammo has a super-glue like smell, which I believe comes from the primer formulation they use. It always goes bang, which is the important thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts