Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering purchasing an LCP II 22 as my EDC backup & inexpensive range shooter. Love the small size and easy slide. Any feedback from those who own it is appreciated. Would you buy it again? Any problems or regrets? What else would you consider, but only in that small size range. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Lcpii 22lr with tandemkross wingman plus 4 mag bases , fluorescent green paint on front sight and desantis slim tuck holster. .This makes the little lcpii 22lr an excellent alternative for many uses. Very slim, light weight , accurate carry option.
I have tons of fun at the range with it.
I picked up a baby lula loader 22lr/380 it will save your fingers. The mag lips on the 22lr mags are prominent and tend to make your fingers raw.
I have had very few cycling issues with this little gun. Federal punch issue was remedied with Mcarbo extra recoil spring and polishing barrel /feed ramp.

I do carry it when wearing gym shirts iwb as it doesn't way them down disappers with out effort and so light you forget its there. I feel ok with 15 rounds of punch, velocitors of even those segmented rounds. Yea it will cycle stingers.
Just for confort i added the galloway trigger kit. While i was at it i eliminated the mag disconnect. It doesnt affect operation in anyway.
I had taken safety off but i was pocket carrying with provided holster for a long time and decided to reinstall. That was just for piece of mind.

I still leave it on the gun but most of the time it is in the off postion. I have just gotten used to it. I carry exclusively in the slim tuck so no worry about hitting the trigger. Now that i think about it i think i will remove it next cleaning.

It would make an appropriate little bug out bag gun but i personnaly want more barrel length and sight radius for that scenario
so i go with the kel tec p17. Very accurate reliable. Its about the same weight with 4 inch barrel, fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear and comes with 3 x 16 round mags. There are a few quriks but easily remedied. Value packed gun for the money .

I have shot several thousand rounds between the two guns. They function with almost all higher quality standard and hv rounds. I have found thunderbolt and federal auto match 40 grain round nose the most reliable of the cheap bulk pack stuff. Sure its dirty but we are talking about 22lr. Clean after each range session and they will be fine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I’ve had two LCPII .22’s (One was stolen). Before it departed, had to send it back to Ruger as firing pin was hitting high and damaging the barrel. Fixed for free and it was a good little pistol. Bought replacement and it has been great with one exception. From time to time the manual safety would self engage. Sent it back and they fixed it. Have not shot it a whole bunch since its return but have sent a couple hundred through it with no issues.

So both would fire whatever I had on hand, but I’ve standardized on CCI branded ammo.

One complaint you will hear is if you manually have to extract a round it may jam. Some have had success turn the pistol upside down when racking the slide. So far I’ve had very few needs to extract duds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lousy sights, highly inaccurate, even close up….I sold mine and fast.
if you want a 22LR mouse gun ..get a Beretta 21A.
I own both the LCP II in 22 LR and the Beretta 21a the LCP II is okay but I do not like the looks especially the way the magazine cap hangs below the grip frame. I purchased the Beretta 21a about a year later boy do I wish I got it first would of never purchased the LCP II.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I enjoy shooting my LCP II .22lr at the range, but I wouldn't consider carrying it. I keep detailed shooting logs for all my pistols, and in 1460 rounds, I've had 22 failures; feed, fire, light strikes, premature lock back. If I really wanted to carry a .22lr, it would be an LCR.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of my carries when going into town is an LCP2 in .380.
I needed a small 22 LR for pocket carry here on the farm, was looking for a snub nose revolver but could only find the LCP2 .22LR.
So, I bought it. It fires without any hiccups, but I'm not too sure it is accurate enough to hit a predator after the chickens, or a rattlesnake unless I'm close.
I have since got my Charter Arms Pathfinder back from the wife, but for some reason my hard head tells me to keep trying with the Ruger.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Mine started out with light strikes and extraction problems. I put a lighter firing pin spring and a heavier extractor spring in it . I have a heavier hammer spring but have not installed it as the light strikes are gone. Galloway makes a spring kit. It was only reliable with 45 grain American Eagle subsonic. I put in the Mcarbo recoil spring and guide rod and it is doing a lot better. It is now reliable with 40 grain Minimag and Norma Tac 22. It will also handle Aguila Interceptors. Noticeable recoil bump and I don't like the extra strain. Velocitors jam on feeding. Last trip I tried Fed Auto Match and had 1 fail to fire out of 200 rounds. It would not fire with multiple strikes or in a different gun. I need to get those 45 grain rounds through the chrono. Aguila seems to have harder brass. They are firing but the indent is noticeably lighter.
I have been stubborn about getting it running reliably as I want it for my wife to hopefully carry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts