Ruger Forum banner

LCP II & Stingers? Yes.

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  icc 
#1 ·
I searched around the forums and Ruger's FAQ, but didn't find current info for the compatibility of CCi Stingers and the LCP II. There seems to be different opinions on the web, but here is the official from Ruger. This may be old info for some, but just in case there are new owners looking for the answer.

"It is safe to fire the CCI Stinger .22LR in the LCP II .22LR Pistol. We recommend ammunition for this pistol that is rated at 1200 feet per second or higher.

Thank you for your interest in Ruger.

Ruger Customer Service"

Good news for the hyper ammo, bad news for the std velocity... will try some of each very soon

#2 ·
I do not use hyper velocity ammo in ours. The one I have tested with 1,400 plus rounds cycles well and is dependable. The other has 600 rounds with no issues other than Winchester. There is thread or two here that covers hyper velocity ammo in a short barrel. My neighbor uses CCI Stingers and so does his wife. For me I do not see any need to use hyper velocity ammo in a short barrel. I did cycle a mag in both for testing and they all went bang and accurate as heck. Let me know what you come up with and take a look at the feedback on this forum for data.
My range ammo I have had great results with in our LCPII22LR's:
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP

#7 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Add Remington "Range" 40g LRN, 1255 FPS to your list. Cycles well and no defect rounds to date ( just 1 100rnd bx tested, but that's better performance than I've seen from 50 or 40 rnd bxs of Federal). I have a box of Winchester, so I'll see how it runs. Keeping my eyes open for Blazer when it shows up on the shelves.

#4 ·
Customer Service tries hard to give correct answers, but sometimes they're just WRONG.

From the LCPII (.380 CF) manual:
Action: The strong locked breech action of the RUGER® LCPII utilizes a tilting barrel design in which the barrel and slide are locked together at the moment of firing.

From the LCPII (.22 RF) manual:
Action: The action of the RUGER® LCPII with manual safety is of a straight blowback type that utilizes a tilting barrel design in which the slide is held closed by the recoil spring at the moment of firing.

Most of Ruger's .22 pistol designs are just the same (straight blowback), and will be beat to snot by the recoil impulse of hyper-v ammo. The LCPII may have a slightly stronger recoil spring installed, but I wouldn't trust it's strong enough. High-v ammo wouldn't cycle reliably if it was.

#5 ·
Paul Harrell just put out a Video on the .22 LCP 2 and Stingers were the only round that would get consistent expansion in his meat target test, they were reliable as well. He had a failure with Mini Mags that seemed to be ammo related, Mini Mags seemed to suffer in accuracy testing as well.

#10 ·
More news for the high velocity users: my LCPII LiteRack .22LR pistol is the third LCPII I have puchased in the past couple of months. The first one in .380 Auto was defective new in the box, Ruger couldn't fix so replaced with second one in .380 Auto - this one would not go through a mazazine of rounds without 2-3 jams, so again back to Ruger. My choice then was LCPII in .22LR or refund, and I chose the pistol. It does feed, fire, and eject Stingers well and they seem to be the most accurate of the brands I have tried. CCI's fire well but POI is not POA, up and right. No other brands do this, and I have four magazines. Sorry to say but I am a Ruger customer since mid-1970s, with Security Six, etc, but this LCPII situation leaves me a very bad taste. To those who suggest we need to fire 300-500 rounds to "break them in" I would only remark that in the bad old days no 1911 would work without major gunsmithing to make it reliable, and extensive breaking-in, same with most auto-loaders back then. Ruger, Glock, and others decided to fix the problem and did so - my 2011 SR1911 is the most reliable and accurate pistol I own, but quality isn't what it once was, and with the price of ammo right now 300 rounds of .380 Auto to break it in is just out of the question, even it you could find it. Honestly, this LCPII was intended to be a summer hot weather CCW, but .22LR? Sure it's reliable with HV ammo, but I really wish I had just purchased something/anything else, after all I have a Mark II Bull bbl from early 2000 for rimfire shooting. Could've/should've taken the refund. Bill Ruger must be rolling in his grave.......Caveat Emptor folks.

#11 · (Edited)
I Understand your frustration. I went through about 2000 rounds proving my .380 LCP II was not durable with several trips back to Ruger before they offered me a different model. I chose the SR22, this one had to go back to Ruger too b/c dry firing peened the chamber; although the manual states the gun is designed to dry fire (NOT). So I just don’t dry fire anymore and it’s been pretty good. At least the sights are fully adjustable on the SR22

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.