Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, if your gonna carry it should be loaded, one in the chamber and ready to fire.

But even with a good holster the LCP worries me a little.

Has anyone ever used the rubber plugs that go between the trigger and grip? It seems simple enough to push out with the trigger finger then your ready. It would make the gun "safe" until needed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I carry mine, Condition 1 in a Sticky Holster.stickyholster.com
Fits IWB or in your pocket and the LCP is easily removed.
I always carry in a good holster.

Galco Sof-tuck, Alien Gear IWB, Urban Carry appendix holster, Super-fly pocket, or Uncle Mikes ankle holster.

But even with the trigger well protected, I worry about it with one in the chamber.

This is my BUG, I only carry it alone when I need deep concealment

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Maybe not a terrible idea if you are not going to use a decent holster with good retention and trigger guard.
If I were going to use it I would practice pushing it out of the way - a lot - to develop muscle memory. Last thing you want is to need to draw and fire and uh oh what is wrong with this thing it is not firing - oh yeah, have to push the plug out of the way - and by then it might be too late.
Of course it is always a trade off between how many times to I need to carry/handle the weapon and be safe versus how likely am I to need to draw and fire and have only two seconds to do so.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I always carry in a good holster.

Galco Sof-tuck, Alien Gear IWB, Urban Carry appendix holster, Super-fly pocket, or Uncle Mikes ankle holster.

But even with the trigger well protected, I worry about it with one in the chamber.

This is my BUG, I only carry it alone when I need deep concealment
Yet, I'll bet you have stuck a revolver in a holster or just in your pocket and went on your way and never gave it another thought. What's the difference? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Look at the BORAII holster, covers the trigger, your finger never gets near it until after you draw and you can load and unload your LCP at the end of the day and never have to take it out of the holster.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have an LCP on layaway for pocket carry in the summer. I have an LCR .357 that I carry now, but with certain clothes it is difficult to shove in my pocket. To me, an LCP with one in the pipe is no different than my LCR. The triggers are long and heavy enough to make it very difficult to shoot those guns unless you're consciously pulling the trigger. That's the "safety" I guess.
I'm a believer in a gun in condition 1 is the only way to carry and I personally don't want a gun with a safety. I want to point and shoot in a stressful situation. Racking slides, flipping safeties etc is not for me. A long somewhat heavier trigger is what I want. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I always carry in a good holster....But even with the trigger well protected, I worry about it with one in the chamber.....This is my BUG, I only carry it alone when I need deep concealment
I'm confused here. Are you saying you don't use a holster when you carry it as deep concealment? But you said you always carry in a holster. If so, I don't see what the problem is.

Just my opinion, but I think anything inside the trigger guard is a bad idea which is why nothing else should go where your guns goes- no keys, flashlight, ammo, etc. in the pocket or holster with the gun.

If you are truly concerned about it, maybe you need a different gun for that role. As db68 points out, perhaps you would feel safer with a revolver like the LCR, but FWIW, I always carry my LCR in a holster too.

(Edit: and +1 to everything Hunter49 just said.)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
IMO I would not use a plug, just sounds like a Oooops moment waiting to happen! But if you pocket carry I would look into a trigger guard like this one from Jel Tech. I have 2 of his Kydex Holster one for my Ruger 9E and one for my Shield! and they are great ,so I assume the guards are as well
Kydex Trigger Guard for Ruger LCP Black | eBay
I am sure others make them as well! But IMO a good holster is the safest way to carry!

·
Registered
704 Posts
A tried and true method for me to become comfortable with carrying one in the chamber. Use a snap cap in place of a live round. Wear it around your house all day for awhile. Move, bend, draw, whatever. If the fire arm never drops the hammer, so to speak, during all of these moving abouts, you can relax that a live round will not accidentally fire while you are carrying. I continue to do this with any new to me carry weapon just to be sure it is as safe as the manufacturer says they are. Best wishes. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
644 Posts
So, you're worried about carrying a round in the chamber because of the trigger being pulled before you want it to be? But then you're going to put something into the trigger guard, making you stick your finger into the trigger guard to mess with something before you're on target and ready to fire? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Whenever I have someone who is uncomfortable carrying a certain gun loaded, I always tell them to put it in their pocket/holster, whatever, and carry it unloaded for a couple days around the house doing the normal day to day. Then check it and see how many times the trigger has been pulled.

I carry my LCP when I'm running with the belt clip option sans holster. Long trigger pull. Never had an issue. If I carry it in a pocket, it's in a galco pocket holster. But my Colt Mustang has taken it's roll

·
Registered
880 Posts
Use any safety device that allows you to carry a gun comfortably.....oh yeah, make sure it doesn't use up too much of your one and a half seconds that it takes a man with a knife to travel 21 feet and stick you. You better practice a lot to trim your time down. Good luck

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
This is the blunt truth about your situation OP. You don't have a mechanical problem. You have a mental one with not trusting your firearm.

If you're not prepared to carry chambered you're not ready to carry a gun, period.

You can poke around your perceived issue this way or that way but it all comes down to you and whether or not you are mentally prepared to carry or not.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I tend to agree with rammerjammer, and i'll add a bit as well. A striker fired firearm (or single action) such as a 1911 is made to be carried with one in the chamber, ready to go, in a good quality holster that covers and protects the trigger. The reason is, is that when you need the pistol, you very may well slip, fumble, or short stroke racking the slide (jam) or leave your finger on the trigger while you rack the slide,(bang) too many variables.

Likewise for gimmicky holsters that put the gun in a bag tied to your belt that rests against your thigh ?, or the one where you insert a pencil like rod into the barrel, tied to a string, looped around your belt, or the one that looks like a cell phone case (not sooo bad) or the rubber trigger plug...... all gimmicks for those that are basically afraid to commit to carrying concealed, lest they be judged by their peers.

If you need to carry a gun, buy a good quality holster, wear appropriate clothes to conceal it, and carry. Thats it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay thanks for the replies.

I always carry in a holster even as a BUG. I do carry it condition 1, just was asking if anyone had used those plugs and their thoughts about it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I tend to agree with rammerjammer, and i'll add a bit as well. A striker fired firearm (or single action) such as a 1911 is made to be carried with one in the chamber, ready to go, in a good quality holster that covers and protects the trigger. The reason is, is that when you need the pistol, you very may well slip, fumble, or short stroke racking the slide (jam) or leave your finger on the trigger while you rack the slide,(bang) too many variables.

Likewise for gimmicky holsters that put the gun in a bag tied to your belt that rests against your thigh ?, or the one where you insert a pencil like rod into the barrel, tied to a string, looped around your belt, or the one that looks like a cell phone case (not sooo bad) or the rubber trigger plug...... all gimmicks for those that are basically afraid to commit to carrying concealed, lest they be judged by their peers.

If you need to carry a gun, buy a good quality holster, wear appropriate clothes to conceal it, and carry. Thats it.
This is the blunt truth about your situation OP. You don't have a mechanical problem. You have a mental one with not trusting your firearm.

If you're not prepared to carry chambered you're not ready to carry a gun, period.

You can poke around your perceived issue this way or that way but it all comes down to you and whether or not you are mentally prepared to carry or not.

I couldn't agree more with the to above post, and no they are not your ready for prime time answers, May not be soothing to the ego either.

Fact is if you don't have one in the chamber your kidding yourself, and the people you may have promised to protect.

People like to create scenarios in there head they can live with, folks don't like thoughts that make them uncomfortable.

So we dismiss things with thoughts like:
oh that won't happen to me, or I will handle that when and if it happens.
Fact is you will not.
You will default to the level of training you have mastered.

I can show anyone with a will and a mind to learn, in 3 minutes how they can get killed quick with an empty chamber.

It's not about fancy holsters, polished guns, or a new set of grips.

It's about mental attitude, a will to survive and hours of training.

Snap caps and dry fire are all good things to do, but not a substitute for live fire on things other than a paper bulls eye target at 7 yards.

buying a gun and strapping it on without the proper training ( hours of it )
makes you ready for very little.

It's just the way it is, my state has open carry and constitutional carry.
I see many, many shooters and the level of proficiency is pathetic, but the amount of no-it-all's is staggering.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The LCP is DAO hammer fired weapon with a long heavy pull. It would be difficult to have an AD/ND with this gun. Not impossible of course but difficult.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I know, I know, if your gonna carry it should be loaded, one in the chamber and ready to fire.

But even with a good holster the LCP worries me a little.

Has anyone ever used the rubber plugs that go between the trigger and grip? It seems simple enough to push out with the trigger finger then your ready. It would make the gun "safe" until needed.

Thoughts?
As long as there is a decent pocket holster in play here, there is not worry that I can see. I have been pocket carrying for years, and have never even remotely has anything close to an issue.

The pocket carry is slow to deploy, so I'll need all the help I can get if the balloon goes up sometime. Last thing I want to deal with is racking the slide when I don't have time...especially on a small gun.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts