Ruger Forum banner

LCP Mag Catch issue?

8K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  SpartanZeroOne 
#1 ·
I purchased a new LCP with a stainless slide as part of the Cyber Monday specials. It cost $220 and when it arrived I was very pleased with how it felt in hand and was looking forward to shooting it. However, at the FFL dealer's I noticed that the mag did not easily slide in and the mag release had to be pushed in to get the mag to slide into the well... either that or a firm smack from the bottom of my palm. I didn't think much of it at the time since an orange sticker was covering the mag. I got the LCP home and upon handling it some more I noticed that the mag would not even fully seat unless I smacked it in. If I gently pushed it into the well it would go in all the way, but not click into place. I would actually have to slide it FORWARD a bit before it would lock in. Is this a common problem or did I just get an odd gun? (I was told that mine came off the line on 4/1/14 if it matters.) I researched the LCP to death before purchasing it and never came across this (or many other) issues with the gun. The girl from Ruger who I spoke with was finishing my sentences for me when I was describing the problem, so she seemed pretty familiar with this issue. She sent me a shipping label and the gun will be going back into Ruger without a single round being sent down range yet. She said if I ask "nicely" they might be able to send me a free 7 round extended grip mag back with the gun for the inconvenience :D Any feedback is much appreciated. Happy New Year folks!

#3 ·
+1 Not sure how long it took, but I had the same situation when my LCP was new. Had to depress the mag release button to seat a new mag and really push it in there. After a while, I realized it was just sliding in without depressing the mag release button.

I always slam the mags home on all my firearms to make sure they seat properly.

#4 ·
Slam those mags home. Getting loaded mags to lock-in is going to be harder than empty ones. It will probably get easier over time as things wear in. If not, call Ruger and get a new catch. I had to do that with one of our LCPs. Easy swap if you are comfortable taking apart your firearms. Otherwise, Ruger will do it for you.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses folks. The LCP is currently on it's way back to Ruger. I did not even think of swapping it out myself, but yeah... that would've been pretty easy to do! Oh well... you live and learn. Hopefully it will return unscathed and fixed so that I can put some rounds down range and start carrying it.

On an unrelated note, does anyone have a preferred carry load for their LCP? I've been told that all LCP's are different and you have to use "trial and error" to see what brand of hollow points yours likes. I personally have heard great things about the Hornady Critical Defense .380 rounds in terms of how they perform... but 2 separate Ruger reps recommended for me to NOT use that round in my LCP due to poor reliability. This surprised me because all of the research I've done on the LCP online prior to purchasing (and talking to a friend who owns one), it seems like the LCP's calling card is reliability... especially compared to other .380's on the market. I've also heard that the LeHigh Defense .380 Penetrator round works very well... producing a wound channel similar to a 9mm. But those rounds are VERY pricey.

Thanks again for your feedback! I will update when the LCP returns.

#8 · (Edited)
#13 ·
I received the LCP back from Ruger yesterday. The magazine catch appears to be fixed - the mags seat a lot easier and with a gentle push into the mag well. It appears that the new mag latch has a bit of a slant to it in the bottom side... maybe 45 degrees... so the mag can "slide" up over it and click into place. The last mag catch in there was a solid square and I had to depress the mag release button just to insert the mag all the way... either that or give it a good smack with the base of my palm.

Ruger included a note that they fired 18 rounds of Black Hills 100 grain FMJ through it and functionality was 100%. Unfortunately they did not send me a new magazine for the trouble of sending it in as the girl I spoke with on the phone suggested they would. A friend of mine who's a huge Ruger fan suggested I call customer service and ask for a new mag to be sent to me. :eek: Not sure I want to be "that guy" though. I'm just glad the problem was fixed! Thanks for all of your feedback and thoughts on a good hollow point round... I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond.

I bought some SIG V-crown since I found it locally and got a great deal on it, but I am planning to buy some Hornady XTP rounds as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.