Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I bought an LCP custom a couple months ago, then bought a spare Ruger 6-round magazine about a week ago. Today I went to the range and fired it for the first time. I put about 90 trouble-free rounds through it, alternating mags.
When I came home and cleaned it, I noticed that one mag is made in Italy and one is made in USA. I don't know which came with the gun and which I ordered later.
I've looked around on the web and couldn't find much, except that some people say the guns come with the Italian mag, but the separate OEM Ruger mags are made in USA.
Just curious what the story is on this. Since both mags were trouble-free, I am not too concerned ... or should I be.
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello - I bought an LCP custom a couple months ago, then bought a spare Ruger 6-round magazine about a week ago. Today I went to the range and fired it for the first time. I put about 90 trouble-free rounds through it, alternating mags.
When I came home and cleaned it, I noticed that one mag is made in Italy and one is made in USA. I don't know which came with the gun and which I ordered later.
I've looked around on the web and couldn't find much, except that some people say the guns come with the Italian mag, but the separate OEM Ruger mags are made in USA.
Just curious what the story is on this. Since both mags were trouble-free, I am not too concerned ... or should I be.
Thanks
IGNORE WHAT I SAID BELOW. I was referring to LC9S NOT LCP. My LCP works flawlessly with any magazine, including ProMag magazines. [START IGNORING]The USA mags are slightly thinner (side to side) and thus were thus more prone to popping out prior to the current iteration of the mag release and release spring. I used to have that problem but with the new version of the mag release and spring all mags work reliably - Italy, USA & Promag.[STOP IGNORING]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. When you say "current iteration" is there a serial number range or something to define that? Or more to the point, will all the LCP Customs (since they haven't been out all that long) fall into the "current iteration?" Or are you are referring to the older models that had plastic mag releases?
Like I said, I had no problems in about 45 rounds with each mag, but just want to be sure, since this will be a carry gun. (I will carry with the Italian mag inserted.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
The last magazines I bought a month ago were both USA and Italy. They looked the same, same finish and size. I couldn't tell them apart. There are some people that like the mags from Italy better. I don't have a preference.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
The USA mags are slightly thinner (side to side) and thus were thus more prone to popping out prior to the current iteration of the mag release and release spring. I used to have that problem but with the new version of the mag release and spring all mags work reliably - Italy, USA & Promag.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
celem are you perhaps thinking of the size difference between the US and Italian LC9 mags?

I have both the USA and Italian mags for the LCP. I've had them for several years now. They are nothe the same thickness.

·
Registered
77 Posts
mndoggie: Yes, thanks for correcting my error, which I just edited in my earlier post. I WAS thinking of the LC9S. Ruger's pistol names are too darn similar for me to keep straight.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
mndoggie: Yes, thanks for correcting my error, which I just edited in my earlier post. I WAS thinking of the LC9S. Ruger's pistol names are too darn similar for me to keep straight.
Roger that on the names. Not as bad though as G17-G99.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts