Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an LCP Max a couple months back and have fired ~400 rounds through it, and there are some concerning issues with the firearm.
The first one is that it has failure to feed problems where a round will get stuck between the breech face and the chamber. The only way to clear it is to drop the mag, pull the slide back, and shake the pistol until the round falls through the grip.
This happens every few mags or so. I've tried several brands and grains of ammo, Fiocchi seems to be the worst.
The second issue is that the 10-round mag will pop out after firing a few rounds.
I have 3 mags and they all do it.
It didn't start happening until I hit the 200 round mark.
I don't have any 12-round mags, so I don't know if they exhibit the same behavior.
I was at the range yesterday and the RSO standing behind me, also a USCCA trainer, noticed my mags were constantly falling out.
He told me it might be the way I'm gripping the pistol and offered to help.
The same thing was happening to him. He was puzzled by it.
He then grabbed the range's LCP Max and used my magazines.
No problems.
I tried the rental pistol. No problems.
I really love this pistol and I it shoots great.
I'll call Ruger when I get the time. I'm sure they'll want me to send the pistol to them.

(edited for grammar)

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. It sure is frustrating when a new gun has such problems. Fortunately, the fact that the range had the rental you learned the problem is in the gun. Ruger will fixit, but annoying none-the-less. There have been a number of forum members expressing issues with the LCP Max. You can find them in the Pistol and Revolver forum.
Oh, welcome from Southeast PA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to send mine back to Ruger right out of the box. I couldn’t load a round in to the chamber no matter how I tried. I just got an email saying it’s fixed and being shipped back to me, but they didn’t say what they did. Guess I will have to call them. Hopefully they replaced the barrel. Check out the feed ramp and the metal sliver
Finger Watch Household hardware Thumb Nail

·
Registered
462 Posts
Welcome @Danny3737 .......

Several folks have had to send their Max in- I've done it twice.

One thing you need to do is to mark or label your mags. You must be able to tell them apart! Every time you have a malfunction- ID that mag. It doesn't matter if you believe the ammo is bad or something else- always ID which specific mag was in the gun when you had a malfunction.
And Yep- Fiocchi 380 is problematic in many guns. Some folks do okay with it. Also it is a good idea to log what ammo you are shooting.
When you look back over your logs- sometimes it becomes very easy to SEE- hmm? all my issues were with mag # 2 and Fiocchi ammo! DING!

Mine was Mag #1 and Gecco/ Remington fmj ammo.

Once you've run many rounds through it and are not having any more issues- don't worry about logs. But up front and if you are having problems- log everything.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In the meantime, which ammo brands should I think about using for range and self-defense?
For range I just buy what's on the shelf at Academy- Federal, Blazer Brass, Armscore....
There have been numerous complaints with Remington- and not just me-I would dodge that one.
For S/D loads- Speer Gold Dot has a nitch no one else has- it always opens, and penetrates no more than 12 inches. That would make it the perfect S/D ammo if you need to use it in a crowded situation-
If you are not worried about over-penetration- then just about any other jhp will work. BUT- most don't open well anyway- SO -many folks just use range ammo for self defense in 380- they already know it works.
There are others that open pretty good- Hornady CD comes to mind. But are they worth it?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The argument against hollow points in a .380 is that they may not have enough energy to expand. I say so what? If it doesn't expand, it will act like a full metal jacket. If it does, it will be better than a FMJ. The key is to find one that reliably functions in your gun. I don't put a lot of stock in fancy rounds. I find a round that works in my various guns and stick with it. I don't shoot many defensive rounds, so it doesn't pose an issue financially.

Bottom line is, buy one box and make sure it works in your gun, then buy more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the Max back from Ruger today and it appears they replaced almost everything on the gun.
I took it to the range and it looks like they fixed the issue of the mag falling out while shooting.
I was still getting double feeds on every mag while shooting Fiocchi.
However the Sig Elite V-Crown JHP ran without a hiccup. I put 2 boxes of it (40 rounds) through the Max.
Then I switched to Sellior and Bellot FMJ and no jams after 100 rounds.
I guess the Max just doesn't like Fiocchi.
Anyway, I'm calling it good.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
The argument against hollow points in a .380 is that they may not have enough energy to expand.
Actually, there are 2 arguments against JHP in .380, the second being if they do expand, they won't penetrate adequately. The Hornady American Gunner XTP that I usually carry in .380 barely makes the FBI minimum based on the tests I've seen, and they're among the best.

Here's a link to an interesting article about .380 ammunition from a few years ago, written by former LAPD Chief Firearms Instructor (among many posts) Larry Mudgett. He helped develop ammo standards for them, and here's what he had to say:

Note that the LAPD currently requires the use of the CCI 95 grain Full Metal Jacket load in their .380 ACP backup guns. They have concluded that this load feeds in all their authorized pistols and it will not “under penetrate.”
I keep going back and forth on this, and since my new P365-380 won't lock back on empty with the American Gunner, I'm probably going back to SIG Elite FMJ, at least for that pistol.

Anyway, here's the link:

.380 ACP Ammunition Comparison

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Actually, there are 2 arguments against JHP in .380, the second being if they do expand, they won't penetrate adequately. The Hornady American Gunner XTP that I usually carry in .380 barely makes the FBI minimum based on the tests I've seen, and they're among the best.

Here's a link to an interesting article about .380 ammunition from a few years ago, written by former LAPD Chief Firearms Instructor (among many posts) Larry Mudgett. He helped develop ammo standards for them, and here's what he had to say:

I keep going back and forth on this, and since my new P365-380 won't lock back on empty with the American Gunner, I'm probably going back to SIG Elite FMJ, at least for that pistol.

Anyway, here's the link:

.380 ACP Ammunition Comparison
I understand that argument, and I've heard of this data. Keep in mind that the FBI standards are based on use by law enforcement. They are a good rule to follow, but not the only consideration. That penetration standard is based on incapacitating an assailant. While I would like to incapacitate anyone attacking me, as a private citizen, my real goal is to stop them from hurting me or my family. For those purposes, a .380 that does not expand or one that does expand but does not penetrate will have the same level of effectiveness. It is pain, not blood loss that will stop an assailant.

Understand that the moment you choose .380 for a defensive cartridge, you are balancing effectiveness with convenience. That's true of any caliber. A .454 will be more effective than a 9mm, but is limited in capacity and more difficult to shoot well, so many more people carry 9mm than .454 for human threats. Not criticizing anyone who carries whatever they are comfortable with. A .22LR is probably more effective than being completely unarmed.

The better argument is if the gun does not function reliably with hollow points, but does with FMJ, that ends the argument. No bullet is effective while it is still in the gun (except as a threat).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I purchased an LCP Max a couple months back and have fired ~400 rounds through it, and there are some concerning issues with the firearm.
The first one is that it has failure to feed problems where a round will get stuck between the breech face and the chamber. The only way to clear it is to drop the mag, pull the slide back, and shake the pistol until the round falls through the grip.
This happens every few mags or so. I've tried several brands and grains of ammo, Fiocchi seems to be the worst.
The second issue is that the 10-round mag will pop out after firing a few rounds.
I have 3 mags and they all do it.
It didn't start happening until I hit the 200 round mark.
I don't have any 12-round mags, so I don't know if they exhibit the same behavior.
I was at the range yesterday and the RSO standing behind me, also a USCCA trainer, noticed my mags were constantly falling out.
He told me it might be the way I'm gripping the pistol and offered to help.
The same thing was happening to him. He was puzzled by it.
He then grabbed the range's LCP Max and used my magazines.
No problems.
I tried the rental pistol. No problems.
I really love this pistol and I it shoots great.
I'll call Ruger when I get the time. I'm sure they'll want me to send the pistol to them.

(edited for grammar)
Koko! lol all I can say is,,,your Post resembles mine when I first started posting trying to figure this thing the lcp max 380 out. Out the Box mine wouldnt cycle eject extract just stuck couldnt move slide whenit stuck until u dropped the mag then seems the slide is given room once dropping the mag you can then pull slide back the rest of the way the round that got stuck drops from the mag well. Im not laughn at you but with you,your post looked just like mine when i first joined the forum,,,,but you think your post is long should of seen mine lol wooohoo they were literally novels,i apologized and vowed to get shorter splitting up the paragraphs. all i was trying to do joing the forums was get answers. I am familiar with firearms maint its functions etc but was seeking the forums for those who had gone through the same issues. It was apparent ruger set this thing out onto the market the 380 max that is in may or june last year with quality control issues like i said mine wouldnt cycle, when i approached forums i got all kinda feed back some helpful some criticising as if i knew nothing about weapons but i didntcare those who were helpful were exactly that helpful..Got responses like take to the range and fire it because mine never madeit to the range the cycling problems i discovered were by manual cycling kept it 3 days trying to work with it before i jus sent it back to ruger stated they replaced entire slide assymbly and barrel, wheni got it back it did cycle and at a bout a 7-75 % but still periodically would have hiccups i continued to mess with it,,the max jus as new felt tight,,,making you think themags are too tight some cut section of the spring in the mag i did too but it still had some issues i gotthis youtbuder posted a video in 2015 about the lcp 2 yep that long ago,,,and that was what pissed me off with rugeri was like the friggin lcp line has all had the same issues since 2015 and theyre still turning out this crap like this all for the sake of a friggn sale never mind their name but i listened to that dude i sent it on the forums and mannn! lol woohoo you talkn bout low down well not too bad but i got frowns because the youtuber stated what he did to get his with zero issues any more in 2015 now,,, everything he pointed out about the lcp tho he had a lcp2 and up to date we have the max 380,,,was the same issues,,,,dude pointed out friction points with the weapon friction,,,,,certain parts making contact with other parts rubbing etc,,,dude basically recommended and pointed out areas of friction the hammer facing the breech face which is where the firing pin comes out to strike the primer when firing the metal bar under the slide where the mag securely butts up against when incerted the feed ramp and the top part of the feed ramp...dude recommended sanding and polishing,,,i knew i wasnt sending mine back to ruger one reason is because when i got it back didnt seem parts were new seemed they replaced with parts that were used although it did get my max up and working but the barrell had scratches on top rubbing from when the slide back and opens to eject a round the top of the slide rubbs up against the top of the barrel creating scratches i sanded the under part of the slide also thaat area when it rubbs but dude until i followed this youtubers suggestions,,,though its at a risk ruger may or may not want to honor warranty though your not sanding so hard or so much to make scratches except under the slide where it rubs the top of barrel other than that the other areas sanding with your hand enough to create a smoother surface but that breech where the firing pin comes out when i got mine back from ruger it was dirty and not just gun powder residue as fired and needs cleaning but a type of harder as if the slide has never been cleaned might of been rust or something wheni sanded that part i literally sanded until i got a brand new looking surface then polished it well,,after all the sanding of parts i did use my dremel ad a slower speed with one of the metal surface cleaning which kinda sands but actually makes a new surface so its equal to sanding but after all that i ran dremel with high speed polish until i was satisfied,,,and dude,,,,woohoo it worked like a charm,,,zero issues thing runs like a dream,,,ill say this last i wasnt gonna give up on the max i love this thing,,runs like a top now but because its a small weapon recommendations after each use to clean it ,,,field strip cleaning i mean and thats what i do to keep it running tip top,,,apparently most returns to ruger of the max your most likely to get a new slide assembly and barrell,,,just make sure you inspect if ,,,field strip it on the spot check for scratches on barrell and slide if they are then like me theyre replacing with not new parts least not mine but with parts probably repaired sent back on assembly which i didnt feel was fair because i purchased a brand new weapon,,im including the youtube video so you can see it,,,u may not be willing to do this ,,,,if i were you id send it back in the one time like i did and check it out if it still hangs up or mag issues etc id contact them again,,,what ive discovered about the mag issue,,,,when i purchase mine i also purchased a 12 round mag,,,what i discovered the mag with issues not locking back after the last round fired its the 10 round mag that comes with it not the 12 round mostlikely since yours is new yours may be a combo of the mag and the issues of it being tight rubbing creating friction spots,,,check that video out ill say it again,,,mine didnt act right like its finally doing with out issues until i applied what dude said in his youtube video,,,,good luck sorry for the book jus tellin you all i know,,,responses you may get from the forums are helpful some with short suggestions making you wonder if they know what your saying so smile thats where i come in lol i know exactly what your saying been there done that i am my own gunsmith and have full knowledge of weapons big small medium their functions and operations trouble shooting etc,,,good luck,,, this was a mini novel i jus wrote you smile
RUGER LCP .380 Problems and Reliability Issues Solved - YouTube

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all,

I just got my Ruger Max today I tried to load it but when I put the magazine in and tried to rack it, the slide did not go to full battery. I am a little concerned as after I told my buddy I bought this gun he told me he had a friend having the same issue with the fire arm. Then after quick Google search I ended up here where I see this is obviously a known issue with the firearm. My buddy also told me his buddy was selling his for $150 because Ruger was charging him $300 plus he had to buy insurance to ship it back. I have sent firearms back to S&W they email me a label I box up the gun bring it to FedEx tell them it's a firearm being shipped back for service and done. So I wanted to know from you guys here that say you sent yours in for repair. What is Rugers process?

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Hey all,

I just got my Ruger Max today I tried to load it but when I put the magazine in and tried to rack it, the slide did not go to full battery. I am a little concerned as after I told my buddy I bought this gun he told me he had a friend having the same issue with the fire arm. Then after quick Google search I ended up here where I see this is obviously a known issue with the firearm. My buddy also told me his buddy was selling his for $150 because Ruger was charging him $300 plus he had to buy insurance to ship it back. I have sent firearms back to S&W they email me a label I box up the gun bring it to FedEx tell them it's a firearm being shipped back for service and done. So I wanted to know from you guys here that say you sent yours in for repair. What is Rugers process?
My wife and I have sent several guns back to Ruger over the years, including her LCRx that went back a couple of weeks ago. This was the first time we ever had to pay shipping, because the gun is 6 years old. They did say though, that if shipping was more than $45, to call back and they would send us a shipping label for a $45 charge. I think there's something your friend's buddy isn't telling him. The MAX has only been out for a year. If there was a problem with it that was Ruger's fault, they would pay for the shipping and they wouldn't charge anything for fixing it.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Hey all,

Since we don't know you, I will ask a few questions and give some advice before you send it back.

1. Did you clean the gun before loading? New guns are shipped from the factory with a rust inhibitive that can become gummy over time. Cleaning and lubing the gun may solve your issue.
2. When you loaded the mag, did you load it full? Was it difficult to load the last round? Ruger mags are notorious for having very strong mag springs. I usually limit my load to 5 rounds in the mag for a while until that spring "breaks in" a bit. Once you have done this about 20 times (100 rounds), it should be easier to load and more reliable stripping the first round.
3. By your description, it sounds like you loaded the mag with the slide closed. If a mag is full, you should insert the mag with the slide locked open. Otherwise you are putting more pressure on the follower than it was designed for
4. Any chance you rode the slide down? Anything touching that slide will slow it down and not allow it to chamber that first round (or any round)

As far as shipping a gun to Ruger fir repair, the times I have had to do it it went like this:
Ruger emails me a shipping label
I drop the gun off
It comes back to my house unless the gun is replaced
If the gun is replaced, Ruger ships it to an FFL
I pay the FFL fee
I send the receipt for that fee to Ruger and they refund me the money for the fee

1 - 20 of 38 Posts