Ruger Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since we don't know you, I will ask a few questions and give some advice before you send it back.

1. Did you clean the gun before loading? New guns are shipped from the factory with a rust inhibitive that can become gummy over time. Cleaning and lubing the gun may solve your issue.
2. When you loaded the mag, did you load it full? Was it difficult to load the last round? Ruger mags are notorious for having very strong mag springs. I usually limit my load to 5 rounds in the mag for a while until that spring "breaks in" a bit. Once you have done this about 20 times (100 rounds), it should be easier to load and more reliable stripping the first round.
3. By your description, it sounds like you loaded the mag with the slide closed. If a mag is full, you should insert the mag with the slide locked open. Otherwise you are putting more pressure on the follower than it was designed for
4. Any chance you rode the slide down? Anything touching that slide will slow it down and not allow it to chamber that first round (or any round)

As far as shipping a gun to Ruger fir repair, the times I have had to do it it went like this:
Ruger emails me a shipping label
I drop the gun off
It comes back to my house unless the gun is replaced
If the gun is replaced, Ruger ships it to an FFL
I pay the FFL fee
I send the receipt for that fee to Ruger and they refund me the money for the fee
1. No I did not
2. Yes but then I tried it with just a few rounds in mag and no it was not difficult to load last round
3. I did not try yet with the slide locked but I will. This is at least the 3rd time I've heard this and I did see on page 21 of the owners manual were it says this.
4. Not sure what you mean here

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
1. No I did not
2. Yes but then I tried it with just a few rounds in mag and no it was not difficult to load last round
3. I did not try yet with the slide locked but I will. This is at least the 3rd time I've heard this and I did see on page 21 of the owners manual were it says this.
1. Always clean before first firing. Not that you can't shoot a gun without cleaning it, but then if there are any issues, that is a likely problem
2. I asked because the springs can put a lot of tension on the slide while the spring is new and slow the slide down; see #4
4. If you try to "help" the slide, you can actually cause it to not go into battery. Especially on a small gun, it can be common for the gripping hand to contact the slide and provide extra friction. Also a common misconception that letting the slide slam home will damage the gun or cause a round to fire. Neither are true. You should let the first round load exactly as it would after firing one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey all,

I just got my Ruger Max today I tried to load it but when I put the magazine in and tried to rack it, the slide did not go to full battery. I am a little concerned as after I told my buddy I bought this gun he told me he had a friend having the same issue with the fire arm. Then after quick Google search I ended up here where I see this is obviously a known issue with the firearm. My buddy also told me his buddy was selling his for $150 because Ruger was charging him $300 plus he had to buy insurance to ship it back. I have sent firearms back to S&W they email me a label I box up the gun bring it to FedEx tell them it's a firearm being shipped back for service and done. So I wanted to know from you guys here that say you sent yours in for repair. What is Rugers process?
Yo j did u peep that youtube video,,,,its what i had to do that freed this max jams fail to extract feeds ejects all that video will show you wear areas where the max is rubbing making contact,,,areas like the metal bar under the slide where youll see brass abraisons its why the mag seats tight when inserted the hammer face the breech face where the firing pin hole is and a few others all areas making contact with parts sand lightly and in my case i sanded til i kinda saw new surface because for some reason factory coating seems too much after i sanded with lightly then dremel polished especially the feed ramp,,,yep worked like a charm for me,,lots in form shun the video feeling its unconventional jus let weapon wear over time but i dont have the wasting of ammo or patients to wait for wear over time i wanna enjoy out the box day one,,until i followed most of what the dude on video was talkn bout didnt seem too strange then it hit me all hes doing is speeding up wear time by sanding,,um telln u dont give up on Maxx i luv this thing yep error free,,,zero hang ups zero issues one you get it running like mine i do suggest with every trip to range lube it,,this thing empties mags no issues no jams no eject extract problems at all but didnt get there by itself had help light sanding with singer or something small enough wrapped with sand paper,,,cche k that video what pissed me tho video is 2015. Um like 7 yrs and ruger still has same issues with lcp models most of its problems is quality control and by it being super small parts inside rub excessive too tight so help it out worked for me not suggesting jus telling my side when you sand and polish test it with loaded mag simulate slide by engaing slide fas as you can to empty mag get to a jam sand lil more then repeat when i did i literally felt this thing loosen befor my very eyes in my hand like it was talkn to me saying with a deep breath as it came to life saying """" wwwheeeww thank yooouuu so much now i can breath,,lol kinda like the tin man from wizard of oz needing oil from dorothy and scarecrow lol hit me back what ever u do dont give up on it i came close to letting it go to until,,,yep worked like a charm problem with mag locking back after last round contact ruger fill out inquiry online on website serianame etc address email phone num etc submit it also load pic of reciept etc if you bought a additional mag include that recpt too then submit then turn around call them they will stand by product send you two mags free because they had to redesign the mags fixing springs issues i kno ,,i did and nope they dont want old ones you have back least didnt with me,,all jus a heads up deuces!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yo j did u peep that youtube video,,,,its what i had to do that freed this max jams fail to extract feeds ejects all that video will show you wear areas where the max is rubbing making contact,,,areas like the metal bar under the slide where youll see brass abraisons its why the mag seats tight when inserted the hammer face the breech face where the firing pin hole is and a few others all areas making contact with parts sand lightly and in my case i sanded til i kinda saw new surface because for some reason factory coating seems too much after i sanded with lightly then dremel polished especially the feed ramp,,,yep worked like a charm for me,,lots in form shun the video feeling its unconventional jus let weapon wear over time but i dont have the wasting of ammo or patients to wait for wear over time i wanna enjoy out the box day one,,until i followed most of what the dude on video was talkn bout didnt seem too strange then it hit me all hes doing is speeding up wear time by sanding,,um telln u dont give up on Maxx i luv this thing yep error free,,,zero hang ups zero issues one you get it running like mine i do suggest with every trip to range lube it,,this thing empties mags no issues no jams no eject extract problems at all but didnt get there by itself had help light sanding with singer or something small enough wrapped with sand paper,,,cche k that video what pissed me tho video is 2015. Um like 7 yrs and ruger still has same issues with lcp models most of its problems is quality control and by it being super small parts inside rub excessive too tight so help it out worked for me not suggesting jus telling my side when you sand and polish test it with loaded mag simulate slide by engaing slide fas as you can to empty mag get to a jam sand lil more then repeat when i did i literally felt this thing loosen befor my very eyes in my hand like it was talkn to me saying with a deep breath as it came to life saying """" wwwheeeww thank yooouuu so much now i can breath,,lol kinda like the tin man from wizard of oz needing oil from dorothy and scarecrow lol hit me back what ever u do dont give up on it i came close to letting it go to until,,,yep worked like a charm problem with mag locking back after last round contact ruger fill out inquiry online on website serianame etc address email phone num etc submit it also load pic of reciept etc if you bought a additional mag include that recpt too then submit then turn around call them they will stand by product send you two mags free because they had to redesign the mags fixing springs issues i kno ,,i did and nope they dont want old ones you have back least didnt with me,,all jus a heads up deuces!!
What YouTube video? And I'm not confident in making any alterations to a firearm myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What YouTube video? And I'm not confident in making any alterations to a firearm myself.
After sending my back to Ruger (they paid for shipping) they replaced everything that sits above the frame and shipped it back to me the following week.
It fixed all of the issue I was having with double feeds, slide not going into battery, and the mag ejecting after firing a few rounds.
Also, my LCP Max seems to be finicky with ammo. Fiocchi FMJ always produces double feeds.
Ammo from SIG, Sellier and Bellot, Magtech and Precision One all run flawlessly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
After sending my back to Ruger (they paid for shipping) they replaced everything that sits above the frame and shipped it back to me the following week.
It fixed all of the issue I was having with double feeds, slide not going into battery, and the mag ejecting after firing a few rounds.
Also, my LCP Max seems to be finicky with ammo. Fiocchi FMJ always produces double feeds.
Ammo from SIG, Sellier and Bellot, Magtech and Precision One all run flawlessly.
Same here. My issues are fixed after Ruger sent me a new barrel and slide assembly. Love this little pistol!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey all,

I just got my Ruger Max today I tried to load it but when I put the magazine in and tried to rack it, the slide did not go to full battery. I am a little concerned as after I told my buddy I bought this gun he told me he had a friend having the same issue with the fire arm. Then after quick Google search I ended up here where I see this is obviously a known issue with the firearm. My buddy also told me his buddy was selling his for $150 because Ruger was charging him $300 plus he had to buy insurance to ship it back. I have sent firearms back to S&W they email me a label I box up the gun bring it to FedEx tell them it's a firearm being shipped back for service and done. So I wanted to know from you guys here that say you sent yours in for repair. What is Rugers process?
Jm,,,this is MaestrO, WHAT i WAS EXPLAINING AS TO WHAT I DID LEARNING FROM A VIDEO ON YOUTUBE THINGS TO GET YOUR lcp max 380 up and running which is what i did..doesnt involve modifications or altering the weapon though it does involve polishing and some sanding lightly..Polishing and sanding in the sense Im speaking is essentually the samething your weapon will do when it wears or whats called Breaking it in,,Breaking it in is where parts and the weapons normal movements in functioning actually wears be it from friction of parts that arent lossend up[ essentually yet...The problem ive discovered and it is a fact,,lcp max 380 is a small weapon pocket size,,,,theyve only been out now a total of just a little over a year. Not uncommon for new things to have bugs and imperfections or missed things from quality control,,though as a consumer or purchaser of the weapon it seems unfair. yep same thing with mine i had to send back in and when i got it back it still wasnt 100% or to my satisfaction though they stated what they did replaced entire slide ssembly and barrel and further fired the weapon more that 25 times or more and no problems,,well when i got it back it did do better than before i sent it back in but about 80% which was good but still had few jams etc thats when i took the matter in my own hands and yes at a risk but not a terrible one...I will say this..I honest believe the parts or some they used to repair or include i re assemble were not totally new the slide breech face or where the firing pin comes out looked dirty but not only just dirty i did sand that to a new finish because it looked to be a part that came from a used weapon and was unkept uncleaned or dirty so that as wel as fllowed the video suggestions ,,not all but for the most part what they guy in the video did and stated made sense the weapon is tight,,,the mag seats tight you can literally feel the weapon tight in your hand functioning tight... I know my own gun smithing,,and you could stand the chance of ruger possibly not honoring warranty if you do too much but in my opinion i felt it to be not so much as altering the weapon or doing so much that ruger may not so its a chance I was willing to take,,and will say when i applied the recommendations from the video,,this thing came or springed to life right in my hand a diffrence between day and night....The process of letting the weapon wear is involving going to he range with approx 3 hundred rounds and firing as much as it can but remember your having jams,,,sticking slide not closing issues misfeeds not extracting etc enough so to litrally piss you off ,,,start fire successfully 2-3 rounds then jams misfeeds etc all that,,,to me i was like who has time frustration for that wait on it to wear or help it out a little,,,your not sanding or polishing to literally erase the thing but jus so or until you literally feel it release or ease up friction then polish or sand then all of a sudden,,,,it losens up ,,,all in all i wasnt saying jus do it,,,,its a risk but i took it and it worked for me,,heres that video,,and yes yor response about not wanting to is much like how i felt as well as others in the forum the holy grail of not doing somthing to your weapon but at some point ,,so this was ment to be a "this worked for me....and worked like a charm and fixed what i thought was unthinkably wrong to do it fixed it,,,zero issues after doing this and polishing and sanding only took approx10 to 20 min so its not something your spending a day or hours on you sand or polish and feel the diffrence before and after the after is what nailed this thing the video:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally took my gun to the range and could not have been more disappointed. Issues were, mostly not going in to battery, mag falling out, shooting way low and to the left ( at even 10’). I even tried 3 different types of ammo. I know most owners probably love this gun, but I was just snake bit with this one. The QC even after going back was non-existent. I will say that they have excellent customer service although the last woman I spoke to there was obviously having a bad day. With all this, I had to trade it in. I ended up going back to a SIG P365. I love the size and feel of the MAX, but was afraid it may let me down when I needed it most. Lastly, the large retailer I traded it in to said they sell a lot of them, but also said they had a lot of buyers come back trying to return them. I hope everybody that has one has nothing has nothing but good luck going forward.

·
Registered
107 Posts
danny yep!! have been there with the Ma
Finally took my gun to the range and could not have been more disappointed. Issues were, mostly not going in to battery, mag falling out, shooting way low and to the left ( at even 10’). I even tried 3 different types of ammo. I know most owners probably love this gun, but I was just snake bit with this one. The QC even after going back was non-existent. I will say that they have excellent customer service although the last woman I spoke to there was obviously having a bad day. With all this, I had to trade it in. I ended up going back to a SIG P365. I love the size and feel of the MAX, but was afraid it may let me down when I needed it most. Lastly, the large retailer I traded it in to said they sell a lot of them, but also said they had a lot of buyers come back trying to return them. I hope everybody that has one has nothing has nothing but good luck going forward.
x 380...wont make this a book,,,but Dude as for me Ive figured it out with the aid of others,,I got my answer from a youtube video,,,lots shun the Idea but dude...My max when FRESH outh the box,,,mine never made it to the range i took info when mine wouldnt even cycle with me doing full mag incerted and manually rocking the slide similating firing. Lots dont consider tis to be viable or a reliable action enough to reflect of call it not ejecting or extracting ,fail to go into battery but I did and so did Ruger I sent it back in Box and all back to ruger,,,got it back in about 3 weeks with a note from ruger stating what they found what they did,,,yes weapon was defective fail to fee extract eject etc just a jumbled up mess of cartridges in the battery area freezing the slide. Ruger stated they replaced the entire slide assembly and the barrel, stated they fired approx 50 rounds with no failures which i doubt. when i got it back it did do better but at about 80% still not satif=sfied,,,started reading in areas including forums some stated to resend your weapon back in some have exp ruger fixing this and return it without fixing that also so back and forth back and forth..well i decided not to go thru that.I know enough about gun smithing weponknowledgy familarity safety ect,,,i know enough of what I know so i sough information online stories forums etc presented it to forums as a newbie....Jumped on youtube for various ideas things to try before i ran across a video posted back in 2015 baout the Ruger LCP 2 which is a variation of the Max 390 currently waay back then...The poster was stating having the same issues even that long ago..That kinda pissed me off because I was like How could Ruger still be turning out LCP models with the same issues from bck in 2015...ill give you this video but gotta warn you if you ask others they will shake their heads about not going this method but let me explin something about what theyre trying to deter others from doing,,,the guy in the video explaines how he got his LCP 2 UP AND RUNNING WITH ZERO ISSUES IT WAS DOING JUS TO NAME A FEW,,,THIS CONSIST OF DOING SOME POLISHING AND SANDING,,NOW WHEN YOU HEAR SANDING ,,,FIRST THING LOTS THINK IS OH NO IM NOT GONNA SUBJECT MY NEW WEAPON TO PRIMITIVE MEANS AFTER ALL SANDING IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY COULD AFFECT THE OVER MECHANICS AND OPERATIONB OF THE WEAPON,,,BUT THINK OF IT THIS WAY ,,,YOUR NOT TAKING A GRINDER TO THE FRIGGN THING (sorry for the caps) but your literally using your finger to sand or sanding with something to get into smaller areas i will admit i did do jus a lil with my dremel but at the lowest speed but not alot,,but mostly sanding with my finger some surfaces i sanded i sanded it to a smooth new finish ,,,like inparticularily the feed ramp the feed ramp looked like it had a finish on it not as smooth as it could be so yep i stepped out on my own my weapon and sanded it smooth to a metal smoothed and polished it to a mirror babys bottom smooth finish,,, other things the breech fact or where the firing pin comes out ,,,that too seemed to have a rough to feel and looked like a tarnish instead of it being a smoothed manufactured fini=shed,,,i smoothed that to a meatal finis too polished it as well like the feed ramp using some bronell wax yep i did it its my weapon also on the video he explaind the back of the barrell that will brush up against the breech face when the slide comes back the back of the barrel makes contact with the breech face and rubbs or has friction other area was the metal bar under the slide where the mag when incerted butts up against when you see it youll see the brass scrapes,,yep correct perhaps should have some but when the mag is incerted this thing feels tight as a drum yep hit that sanding with my finger ok wont lie i did a little with the dremel but very little the rest with my finger then polished with the dremel..one last thing the happer facing i sanded that a lil to metal not too much at att smoothed it some.let me jus say this,,by now your either discouraged saying i wont do that,,,its cool lots may not infact i do recommend you sending it back in first then see ,,but let me say this when i was doing all the sanding polishing sanding polishing rocking the slide and doing slide similations with loaded mag yes loaded to check the effeciency of extract eject of the catridges,as they ejected out a no no to some gun safety dudes but trust me i know safety,,,let me say this as i did all this sanding and smoothing let me say this i felt this thing literally come to life right there in my hand dude,,,seriously like it loosened up in my hand jus little by little then checked it little by little then checked it until it felt so good when i was satisfied i mean i watched his thing go from slight jam fail to go into battery,,,slide so jammed slide wouldn move til you dropped the mag from the well ten the stuck round fell from the bottom,,,trust me you dont have to tell me i already know,,been there trust me,,i literally feel i can write a book on what i discovered from the dude on video so it got better and better to hmmm a lil better to hmmm even better to hmmmm well damn!!! hot dam! things fixed smooth as a babys bottom...i know its a chance i took many may not but i decided too and glad i did,,,youll see the guy in the video tells and shows you all this if you decide just do little by little this is metal your not really taking metal off your smoothing so sanding with your finger is better ideal i decided to use some rotory some to make lighter work or on a lil more stubborn parts...One last thing,,in my book lots who are quick to say weapon has to wear in some especially when new which is true wear down comes from use as the mote you use it the more itll loosen up things fall into place operations becomes a smooth process youll see the jamms the fail to feed into battery fail to eject or extrat all jus kinda dissapate true,,,so mention some sanding and polishing and youll hearr """ohhhh no dont do that""" lol when all lite sanding and smoothing and polishing is doing is helping it get to that wear process quicker instead of constance trips to range ammo used up for the sake of assuring its smooth extract eject etc the similation action with your hand (not firing) but engaging the slide with your hand as rapidly as you can to similate the slide action watchn then extract eject extract eject do this sanding and polishing and dude,,,its lovely,,and yes there are some who love it,,,yep i got fed up and quick too so i decided to not send mine back in so not what i got back that was better at 80% from ruger but still some issues,,,when i did what i did,,,,,100% now no hiccups no fail to feed no fail to go into battery no fail to extract or eject,,,jus alllll a smoth action,,,,,remember this video is from 2015,,but its dead on dude! look at his comments including mine i had to let him know,,,and still of course i look to hear the forum throw rocks at me for telling you this,,you are on your own but again i do recommend you send it back to ruger atleast once make sure you get them to list the problems its doing if you only tell them partially or they take down only partially thats when im told theyll fix partly,,one last thing i recently addressed,,,if you notice your mags fail to hold slide open after the last round fired,,,they had issues with th mags had to correct some spects etc will give you new ones but you gotta tell them,,,they wont argue especially new purchases they are surpurb to me,,,,,good luck,,again the room or lots if not most i tink stil shun this video but do what you feel is best im just telling you what worked hands down for me with zero puss^ footn around,,,
1. No I did not
got alotta good infor on this form danny that can help,,,,,,yep im smiling especially the video i posted on youtube,,,lots quick to shoot it down but all i can attest to and yep i do my own gun smithing worked for me even after i sent it bac in got it back with what they replaced lots were like did you do this when you first got it,,,,,watch how you hold your hands lol or and this is true from jholla to clean it because its sat in warehouse its probably dirty,,,but that video i posted is what i did carefully as i did sand smoothed and polished little by little i literall tested after each sanding and polishing and i literally watched this thing loosen up in my hand,the video is back in 2015 posted and thats what pissed me because i was like the LCP 2 WHEN THEY CAME OUT BACK THEN HAD THE SAME ISSUES HOW COULD RUGER DO A RE UPDATED DESIGN OF THE LCP THE LCP MAX 380 AND IT HAVE THE SAME ISSUES,,,THATS SORRY,,SAYS ALOT ABOUT THERE QUALITY CONTROL SO THE MAX HAS ONLY BEEN OUT SINCE LAST MAY I THINK SO BARELY A YR OLD ..Problem to me Danny and this is fact,,its a small weapon where parts do rub ,brand new its tight like a drum,,,there are parts that cause friction rubbing etc WATCH THE VIDEO ATLEAST WATCH IT ITS NOT LONG DUDE ON VIDEO COVERS AREAS...when i followed most of what he did on video i literally watched my max open up loosen up literally in my hand jus little by little sanding smoothng polishing the more i did as i checked with full mag incerted and engaged slide manually with my hand quick as i could similating action watch it extract eject into battery and repeat,,until mag emptied if it still did jams fail to go into batter i sanded polished smoother until BAMMM!! zero problem,,to lots in room this is damaging your weapon but i say nope it has to wear anyway which is what lots will say wearing over times smooths out rough pots hiccups by and correct smoothing surfaces through its use but who wats to waste ammo get tired of it jamming so much gotta drop mag to clear weapon um telling you this because i know exactly what your dealing with,,,you dont have to do anything im saying again jus know what worked for me i took the chance tried it and it worked,,make sure jus as lots recommend clean your weapon and because its so small i would run it wet or lub it prior to range youll even see diffrence lubing it but not too excessive ,,so where lots shun sanding and polishing and again i didnt say hard,,,your cleaning up surfaces mine appeared to have dirty spots eveen after i got it back from ruger initially breech face dirty seemed caked on surfaces and other areas,,,the video shows you areas that rub create friction but again when i did mine carefully the more i did the more it relaxd or loosened up and as i similated its action yes with rounds in mag incerted to watch its extract and ejection it got better and better and i smoother sanded sanded and polished the more i did again carefully i sanded mostly with my finger polished with dremel at a low speed to make lighter work quicker,,,ok wont lie i did take a shot using dremel on feed ramp breech face where firing pin comes,,,there were some very stubbord surfaces i was like what is that snded the feed ramp to a new surface to strip whats manufactured on the ramp to a newer surface metal surface but it didnt take much to remove what was manufactured to be on there when i sanded it then i smoothers it then polishe it with dremel to a baby smooth mirror finished,,,, no way a cartridge could stick there but like i said the forums may kick all this video out im takin but and though that is taking matters in oyur own hands but i know gun smithing may not be for the unexpeirenced jus peep the video wheather you do it or not but first if its not been sent back to ruger coarse do that first jus know what worked for me and the video is in this post one last thing when you purchasd you could have one from a bad batch sent to retailers,,,the mags,,,if your mag doesnt hold back slide after the last round then when you send it back to ruger make your you list all things its doing and the mag not locking back they will give you a new redesigned or corrected of its spects which thy had to do,,,they gave me 2 12 rounders no lie ,,,you can go on ruger to get process started up load a pic of you reciept pic of the weapon in the box with all items and besure to list what weapon is doing ,,,,what ever you dont tell or let them know could result in them not paying any attention to that you dont mention this is what ive heard others say make sure the representative tell you what you have listed as the problem,,again or other wise you may get a weapon back partially fixed because you forgot to say there was another issue,,,good luch danny,,,jus telling you what worked for me,,i am believer of that video but you send it back in if it hasent been already...deuces,,,,and watch that video!!!!!! in this post judge it for yourself but again send it bck in atleast once back to ruger before doing anything.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
correct kok : luck with Bellot, Magtech and Precision its all i run as Ball cant remember the defensive hollows but they ran flawless as well,,,i think ive mastered this Max thing,,I luv it error free,,,wooooohoooo!!! and yep i still credit that video i dont get to range much at all since ive had it but everytime i do it empties mags every cartridge zero issues zero hiccups...lots may detest that video but im speaking for me ama Maestro,,,it worked for me and nope this is not grinding metal your literally just smoothing metal not to an extent of diggin into metal except with me and the feed ramp i intentionally sanded it down to clear metal because it was something about that finish from factory on the ramp also on the breech face where fireing pin comes out looked rough felt rough,,,dont know what was on that surface but i tookit down to clear clean metal then polished brownells wax using yep a dremel to make lite quicker work,,one last was the back of the barrell and the meta bar under the slide sanded some jus to smoothe it then polished,,,,this thing came to life so essentually sanding smoothing and polishing is the same as letting it wear or break in minus the wait itll loosen up directly in your hand mine did i a matter of mins each time i sanded smoother and polished i loaded mag incerted engaged slide to similate extraction ejection and clearing each time i did it it got better and better until it emptied mags fully loaded ejecting extracting clearing zero hiccups been right ever since but the form or lots dont or frown on it ,,but cant fault,,,if not expierenced enough dont recomment you do get a skilled gun smith but um like dang its not rocket science smile I swear by the video jus me,,,jus my take

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a lcp max that I traded in. At first I was getting failures to feed and failures to have the slide go fully into battery. But I’d not cleaned it out of the box.

I ended up doing a couple of things.

1. Clean and oil
2. I noticed mag springs were VERY tight. I used a speed loader to force the full 10 rounds into the mag. Then put it in the gun. Note doing that was difficult too with a full mag. Once you do though, leave it for about a week. What seemed to happen is the tension on the mag springs and part of the internals seemed to loosen.
3. I replaced some parts, I installed a 13lb spring if I recall from Galloway precision, stainless steel guide rod, and a higher strength takedown pin(I thought I was going to keep the gun a long time).

Anyway on my particular gun, between all of those things, the next time I went to the range the gun seemed to run just fine. However I ended up trading it. For one the price of 380 vs the relatively lower price of 9mm, plus I just decided I’d rather have a little higher caliber. So it went on trade towards a Springfield hellcat. Once it started working better it seemed ok, they just seem to have some pretty tight tolerances on those little pistols. I don’t know if I needed to replace springs and all but the upgrades were cheap enough. I suppose I’d appreciate them if I’d kept the max.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got lucky with mine as it performs just fine. I notice that with Rugers in general, it’s critically important to clean and lube them before firing.
Secondly, they seem to need a “grace period” for breaking in. For me, 50 to 100 rounds for both my Security 9 and my LCP Max were required for the slide to lock open on last shot. Had a few stovepipes with the Max, too, until I broke it in.
Now they’re both 100% reliable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don’t get me wrong, I loved the size, weight, and feel of the MAX. Any time you have a new model, there are always chances of hiccups with it. I just didn’t have the time or patience to send it back a second time. It seems that every manf. Is trying to cram as many rounds in to the smallest gun possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have 2 MAXs, and neither one likes the Fiocchi. They run great with everything else, though.
I tried Winchester, Wolf, and a few others. Winchester seemed to work the best, but still have some problems. I’m still searching for another Springfield 911, 380, but they are going for close to $1000 since they were discontinued.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tried Winchester, Wolf, and a few others. Winchester seemed to work the best, but still have some problems. I’m still searching for another Springfield 911, 380, but they are going for close to $1000 since they were discontinued.
How about a Sig 238? My wife’s occasional carry and it’s a sweet shooter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got lucky with mine as it performs just fine. I notice that with Rugers in general, it’s critically important to clean and lube them before firing.
Secondly, they seem to need a “grace period” for breaking in. For me, 50 to 100 rounds for both my Security 9 and my LCP Max were required for the slide to lock open on last shot. Had a few stovepipes with the Max, too, until I broke it in.
Now they’re both 100% reliable.
tru Dat.....steam but got a hint from another...um try out this Hornady critical defense for 380 the ammo with the red plastic inserted in the hollow...I've measured it up against the ball ammo it's shorter which by math makes sense longer ball to present issues loading up feed ramp fail to c lose gate or fail to extract or eject jumbling up ..so um in the test labs if this nails it umma be passed at ruger for not jus honestly coming out tell an d alerting the issues may not be as much the lcp max 380 in as much as the ammo u use will keep u posted

21 - 39 of 39 Posts