Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been eyeing the LCP Max since it came out. I was looking for a gun for personal defense that is easy to shoot and carry. I was in a local gun store yesterday and they had one at a good price. It was $20 cheaper than the advertised but unavailable Bass Pro Shop price. I took it to the range today. Here are my initial thoughts after the first 50 rounds using the provided 10-round magazine without the pinky extension. This is definitely not a range gun. My hand knew that I had been shooting It is significantly snappier than my LC9S and Glock 17. I can only imagine what it would be like to shoot several hundred rounds on a single trip. I have installed the pinky extension and ordered the slightly longer 12 round magazine and the Hogue grip. I'll try again next weekend. Time and practice will tell. Given the current price of 380 ammo, I probably won't fire more than 50 rounds at a time.

P.S. No problems with the slide locking open.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've thought about one and doubt I'd go with it unless it was with 12rd magazines and a Hogue grip. Even then I don't think it will be a range gun like a Glock 17.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for sharing your range report.

I've not shot one but I was able to handle an LCP MAX at the gun show this weekend side by side with an LCPII/LCP and a few other guns.

I know the dimensions aren't much bigger but it didn't seem like it was quite as concealable as it's predecessors. It's not still not a 'big' gun but the extra width and length in the grip seemed to make the gun feel much more substantial.

Once I had the LCPMAX sized pistol in my hand I found myself thinking "This thing doesn't do 'deep concealment' nearly as well and it's almost big enough that I'd just want to upsize to a 9mm like the P365 if I was carrying a pistol this large"

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I have 2 LCP Max's. I also have CMC arthritis in the thumb of my shooting hand. I've had 3 range visits so far, 225 rounds with the first, 225 rounds with the second, then 160 rounds with the first. I also own an LCP II. IMO, the Max is softer shooting than the LCP II, but not by much. All together though, I think the Max is a great pistol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I've not shot one but I was able to handle an LCP MAX at the gun show this weekend side by side with an LCPII/LCP and a few other guns.

I know the dimensions aren't much bigger but it didn't seem like it was quite as concealable as it's predecessors. It's not still not a 'big' gun but the extra width and length in the grip seemed to make the gun feel much more substantial.

Once I had the LCPMAX sized pistol in my hand I found myself thinking "This thing doesn't do 'deep concealment' nearly as well and it's almost big enough that I'd just want to upsize to a 9mm like the P365 if I was carrying a pistol this large"
I have several holsters that I bought for my LCP II 22lr pistol, including a Kydex pocket holster. The LCP Max fits perfectly. I think it will disappear into my pocket quite easily.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have several holsters that I bought for my LCP II 22lr pistol, including a Kydex pocket holster. The LCP Max fits perfectly. I think it will disappear into my pocket quite easily.

For me, the grip is the hardest part of the gun to conceal and the fact that the LCPMAX grip length is comparable to or greater than some micro 9mms was very unattractive to me.

The point I was trying to make is that the gun didn't produce an 'apples to apples' feeling in the size department. It felt much bigger to me than the single stack .380's that many people would be considering the LCPmax as an alternative to... maybe even so much bigger than it negated some of the utility of carrying a .380 instead of something more substantial.

At the top of my mind was comparison to the P365 I already own. It felt very similar size in the hand given the P365 is only a half inch longer and a quarter inch taller or so. In my view, the only significant difference in the feel of the pistol was in the weight (with the 9mm being a fair bit heavier obviously).

I walked away with the impression "this is too big to be comparable for deep concealment purposes as an LCP/LCPII" but also "this is a much more lethal pistol that will be easier to wield accurately for a majority of users".

I'm sure many will find that it still fits in their pocket. Heck, a lot of people think a P365/Hellcat or even a baby glock (G26) is perfectly fine to shove in their pants pocket (don't count me among them, though).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Totally agree. Comparing the pocket guns, LCP, Kahr, Pico, etc to a 365 is not a good comparison. People forget the weight difference as well. A whole lot of difference between 10 oz and 17.5 oz. I prefer a slim grip. My favorite is the slim Beretta Pico.( and I have a size large hand)I have the LCP Gen 2 with a 7 rd magazine and find it very easy to shoot, not as easy as the Pico or the my Khars but plenty mild. One of my favorite Micro 9's is the Kahr CM which is only 15 oz but I do not carry that in my pocket. Too big for me.
I cringe when I hear that these Pocket guns are NOT range guns. For myself, I made them range guns over 10 years ago. Spend a lot of time with them and they can perform quite well at 15 yds. And spend some time with them and the recoil becomes noting but mild. Actually milder than a Micro 9mm. You just have to put the time in it. If you do, you reap huge rewards. Personally, I am not into the larger double stack mags. Not for Practical EDC. And there is something about a double stack that just does seem right for a Pocket gun. I just do not trust them. I will stick with the single stack. Keep it simple. I find it interesting that after they made the Gen 2, they continued to keep manufacturing them even after the LCP ll came out and still manufacturing them now that the MAX is out. I believe they are the best out of the lot. Nice, sweet DAO. The way a pocket gun should be. A single stack for better reliability. All Ruger had to do was put a front night sight on it. Heck, the Pico is perfect in that they designed the gun to remove the front and rear sight and replace with a night sight.I have three Beretta Pico's. My range Pico is actually of the most reliable firearms I have ever owned. If I told you how many rounds fired from that gun, you most likely would not believe me.Lets, just say a whole bunch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been eyeing the LCP Max since it came out. I was looking for a gun for personal defense that is easy to shoot and carry. I was in a local gun store yesterday and they had one at a good price. It was $20 cheaper than the advertised but unavailable Bass Pro ShopND THE OPISI price. I took it to the range today. Here are my initial thoughts after the first 50 rounds using the provided 10-round magazine without the pinky extension. This is definitely not a range gun. My hand knew that I had been shooting It is significantly snappier than my LC9S and Glock 17. I can only imagine what it would be like to shoot several hundred rounds on a single trip. I have installed the pinky extension and ordered the slightly longer 12 round magazine and the Hogue grip. I'll try again next weekend. Time and practice will tell. Given the current price of 380 ammo, I probably won't fire more than 50 rounds at a time.

P.S. No problems with the slide locking open.TE]

·
Registered
826 Posts
I cringe when I hear that these Pocket guns are NOT range guns. For myself, I made them range guns over 10 years ago. Spend a lot of time with them and they can perform quite well at 15 yds. And spend some time with them and the recoil becomes noting but mild. Actually milder than a Micro 9mm. You just have to put the time in it. If you do, you reap huge rewards.
I'll second that. Time and dedication are the key. I run a minimum of 300 rounds through my P938 every trip, and I shoot it out to 25 yards for at least half of the rounds. I shoot it out to 25 yards for strong and weak side one-handed shooting, too.

Micro pistols have to be range guns if you plan to carry them. Otherwise, they won't serve you well when you really need them. It takes that much regular training with them.

·
Registered
537 Posts

It does feel more substantial in the hand... that is what makes it easier to shoot in my opinion. The grip is large enough that it fills my hand better, allowing more control of the firearm, yet it isn't that much that it is no longer a pocket gun.

As far as "deep concealment", I guess that depends on how you define that term. If deep concealment to you is the ability to throw it in a pocket, then there are going to be some differences. The LCP Max can still be pocket carried, but it is a little thicker than the LCP II, and probably noticeably thicker than the original LCP. Honestly, the grip length is pretty close, the extra height is the sights if using the pinky extension on the LCP... and this is especially true comparing the LCP II and the LCP Max.

If deep concealment means a belly band, or thunderwear, or some other type of alternative outside of pocket carry, you may not notice a difference at all. For example, I have some Duluth Trading Company shorts that have a pocket inside the shorts that keeps the gun well below the waistband at about the 11 o'clock position. I carry the LCP Max in that pocket and it carries just as well as my LCP II (.22lr). It carries there much better than my Sig P290RS due to weight difference between the two.

The Max may be a good choice for some, and others may prefer something else. It's good to have choices!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Max may be a good choice for some, and others may prefer something else. It's good to have choices!
I really like mouse guns. At one time or another I have owned micro 380s made by Ruger, Kahr, Diamondback, Kel-tec, Springfield, Sig Sauer and Remington. I currently own 2 RM380s, an LCP Custom and my new LCP Max which I don't find harder to pocket carry than any of the others. When I lay my Custom with the 7 round mag on top of the Max with the 12 round mag they are the same size. Of course the Max is a little wider but the unloaded weight difference is negligible. Mine has been 100% reliable including the slide locking back. Great sights too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use an LCP2, but with the slightly extended 7-round mags. It affords me an "extra finger" hold. I've shot it with normal 95 or 100 grain FMJ ammo for prectice, and have shot it with some pretty hot Underwood and Buffalo Bore defensive ammo. Not a ton of the defense ammo, but I find this thing quite manageable. I also have a green Veridian trigger guard-type laser on it. Nice package. I trust the .380 with the Underwood Extreme Penetrator ammo. I thought the Max was just a better LCP2. Love the better sights. I think the extra capacity is somewhat moot, as most self-defense situations just don't call for a lot of rounds. The 2 is noticeably thinner that the Max, and that makes it easier to pocket. I only wish they's put an actual safety on these things. I'm just old school, I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Totally agree. Comparing the pocket guns, LCP, Kahr, Pico, etc to a 365 is not a good comparison. People forget the weight difference as well. A whole lot of difference between 10 oz and 17.5 oz. I prefer a slim grip. My favorite is the slim Beretta Pico.( and I have a size large hand)I have the LCP Gen 2 with a 7 rd magazine and find it very easy to shoot, not as easy as the Pico or the my Khars but plenty mild. One of my favorite Micro 9's is the Kahr CM which is only 15 oz but I do not carry that in my pocket. Too big for me.
I cringe when I hear that these Pocket guns are NOT range guns. For myself, I made them range guns over 10 years ago. Spend a lot of time with them and they can perform quite well at 15 yds. And spend some time with them and the recoil becomes noting but mild. Actually milder than a Micro 9mm. You just have to put the time in it. If you do, you reap huge rewards. Personally, I am not into the larger double stack mags. Not for Practical EDC. And there is something about a double stack that just does seem right for a Pocket gun. I just do not trust them. I will stick with the single stack. Keep it simple. I find it interesting that after they made the Gen 2, they continued to keep manufacturing them even after the LCP ll came out and still manufacturing them now that the MAX is out. I believe they are the best out of the lot. Nice, sweet DAO. The way a pocket gun should be. A single stack for better reliability. All Ruger had to do was put a front night sight on it. Heck, the Pico is perfect in that they designed the gun to remove the front and rear sight and replace with a night sight.I have three Beretta Pico's. My range Pico is actually of the most reliable firearms I have ever owned. If I told you how many rounds fired from that gun, you most likely would not believe me.Lets, just say a whole bunch.
What I should say is that it is currently not a range gun and is going to take considerably more practice to become comfortable with it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had one sold it about every second or third round the mag would drop out. Was not willing to carry a gun that might get me killed. I carry my hellcat and after I put some more rounds in the Max9 it may go in the rotation.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Had one sold it about every second or third round the mag would drop out. Was not willing to carry a gun that might get me killed. I carry my hellcat and after I put some more rounds in the Max9 it may go in the rotation.
I hope you told the potential buyer of the issue. Why not just send it in to Ruger to be fixed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been eyeing the LCP Max since it came out. I was looking for a gun for personal defense that is easy to shoot and carry. I was in a local gun store yesterday and they had one at a good price. It was $20 cheaper than the advertised but unavailable Bass Pro Shop price. I took it to the range today. Here are my initial thoughts after the first 50 rounds using the provided 10-round magazine without the pinky extension. This is definitely not a range gun. My hand knew that I had been shooting It is significantly snappier than my LC9S and Glock 17. I can only imagine what it would be like to shoot several hundred rounds on a single trip. I have installed the pinky extension and ordered the slightly longer 12 round magazine and the Hogue grip. I'll try again next weekend. Time and practice will tell. Given the current price of 380 ammo, I probably won't fire more than 50 rounds at a time.

P.S. No problems with the slide locking open.
I got the Hogue grip and the 12 round magazine. The pinky extension is definitely an improvement to the 10 round magazine. I find it definitely more comfortable to shoot. I just need time and practice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts