Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All rounds fired about 250 no FTE. Even with the Scott munitions. The slide only locked back twice . Calling ruger to replace magazine. Hope it’s not the gun. I have a 12 round mag on order . As for grouping its a lot better this time . But past 7 yards it’s tough. I think it’s me and the trigger. In order for the slide to lock back on an empty magazine I have to slightly push up on the mag. Also noticed racking the slide on the first round sometimes it would pause before snapping a load. Seems like some rounds get caught on the barrel possibly. And even if I pull the slide fast and hard. But that’s not really an issue as the gun works fine except for the last round slide open.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Glad it’s working better, I know from experience how frustrating it is to have a new gun that doesn’t run right. If it’s any consolation the need to do a reload in a SD scenario when carrying 11 rounds would be extremely low; but yea, the slide should be locking back every time on an empty mag.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All rounds fired about 250 no FTE. Even with the Scott munitions. The slide only locked back twice . Calling ruger to replace magazine. Hope it’s not the gun. I have a 12 round mag on order . As for grouping its a lot better this time . But past 7 yards it’s tough. I think it’s me and the trigger. In order for the slide to lock back on an empty magazine I have to slightly push up on the mag. Also noticed racking the slide on the first round sometimes it would pause before snapping a load. Seems like some rounds get caught on the barrel possibly. And even if I pull the slide fast and hard. But that’s not really an issue as the gun works fine except for the last round slide open.
I’m glad to hear that you had a better day. I agree, the 10-round mag is unreliable on last round hold open (I think it worked 50% of the time). If the 12-round mags work better, I am going to request a replacement mag from Ruger. I think that we’ll both shoot better with the 12s. I’m happy with 60% in the 10, 30% in the 9, and 10% in the 8, but I’d rather get those scores at 10 yards than 7. My thought is if I can shoot that well at 10 yards in a controlled environment, I’ll do that well at 3-5 yards during a random armed encounter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will just call ruger tomorrow . It’s hard to find ammo for .380 than 9MM these days. Don’t know why. So I will retest with a new mag, probably the 12 round will come in first . I read somewhere that maybe the mag spring could be in wrong? I’m going to try it but it could be upside down who knows .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought that gun- haven't fired it yet, but will as soon as I can.
I see that SGAmmo has 380.....but its about $33 per box plus shipping. I have some Remington and Gecco, so I have enough to at least trust this gun when the rain stops.

Edit: I have enough to "test" this gun, not trust it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I see that SGAmmo has 380.....but its about $33 per box plus shipping. I have some Remington and Gecco, so I have enough to at least trust this gun when the rain stops.
That is why I load my own 380. I can make it for about $10/50 rounds. Because I carry small 380s in the summer, I ramp up my 380 practice. I’ll probably go through 500 rounds this summer (I’m already at 110).

·
Registered
500 Posts
I read somewhere that maybe the mag spring could be in wrong? I’m going to try it but it could be upside down who knows .
That’s possible, you might disassemble to check. I had a 7rd .380 LCP II mag that was assembled wrong from the factory. It would only accept 6 rounds and the base plate was moving around. I assembled it correctly and all was well.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Heads up, 12 round magazines don't lock back any better than the 10 rounders. I have two and in a little over 100 rounds the slide only locked back 2 or 3 times.

Full range report in the works. Spoiler alert; Max fired fine but locking back is an issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s possible, you might disassemble to check. I had a 7rd .380 LCP II mag that was assembled wrong from the factory. It would only accept 6 rounds and the base plate was moving around. I assembled it correctly and all was well.
Just checked it’s correct. The feed ramp is actually looped around the spring not loose. Will call ruger tomorrow for a mag

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Edit: I have enough to "test" this gun, not trust it.
can’t find 380 anywhere I have 2 boxes left of federal and fiocci. Let me know how it shoots .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heads up, 12 round magazines don't lock back any better than the 10 rounders. I have two and in a little over 100 rounds the slide only locked back 2 or 3 times.

Full range report in the works. Spoiler alert; Max fired fine but locking back is an issue.
have you called ruger for Another 10 round mag? So we have the same problem. All the YouTube reviews show the slide locking back. I ordered a 12 round mag from impact guns . Should be here soon

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was at the range this morning and another new owner was having the same problem with the slide not locking back on last round. A number of members including myself tried to find the issue, we could not figure it out. It seems it will be the magazine, weak magazine spring or recoil spring. I remember with he LC9S came out. The recoil spring was totally a mess. Ruger then issued a new captive recoil spring that solved the issue. This is the Problem with Ruger first run guns. Also had a big issue with the first SR22 cal I bought. The slide was getting all hacked up. Sent it in twice than they just sent out a new gun. Also have heard that if you drop the magazine the base plate will pop off. Any one care to try this?
If I had a Max, the first thing I would do would be to upgrade the springs. There are already vendors out there that are doing this. I would do it before I even shot the first round.

Reactions: Ctusser

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is nothing more ittitating than a new model gun that has problems once out of the box. I think the OP is handling it methodically with patience. It is nice to see no rant. Good job @nyorker.
thanks. This is my second LCP. The first one in was the original LCP I bought in 2016. That was bad. The slide would fly off the gun when fired. The takedown pic would come out. They sent me a new gun with no problems. Long time ago. The reason I bought this new one was to replace that gun because I left the original LCP in New York City so I don’t have to fly with guns

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
Don’t have a Max, but would like to ask the question anyway. Seeing as it’s a small handgun, is your grip touching the slide release/stop in any way that is impacting its ability to lock back as intended? Second question, sounds like you are using practice ammo, which doesn’t have the same “power” as defense stuff. New tight gun with a new spring. Is there any possibility that the gun just needs to wear the spring in a bit? Perhaps the slide is not coming all the way back to stop or doesn’t have enough dwell time at full rearward motion to give the magazine enough time to push the stop up, but when the mag is loaded, the next cartridge is making it up enough to strip and chamber.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don’t have a Max, but would like to ask the question anyway. Seeing as it’s a small handgun, is your grip touching the slide release/stop in any way that is impacting its ability to lock back as intended? Second question, sounds like you are using practice ammo, which doesn’t have the same “power” as defense stuff. New tight gun with a new spring. Is there any possibility that the gun just needs to wear the spring in a bit? Perhaps the slide is not coming all the way back to stop or doesn’t have enough dwell time at full rearward motion to give the magazine enough time to push the stop up, but when the mag is loaded, the next cartridge is making it up enough to strip and chamber.
Did the same with hornady critical defense. Many others are reporting same problem with the magazine. Also even magazine empty it won’t lock and finger off the release

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's a Mayodan gun....they are just an assembly house....no gunsmithing going on there. Slap it together, fire one shot, ship it. Let customer service sort out the rejects. Ruger is becoming like Chevy. Yeah, we'll fix it for free...that's nice but what about all the inconvenience, repeated shipping's and residual worry about reliability. Give me a Honda, Kia or Toyota.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
It was not riding the slide, that is the first thing we thought of and shot the gun ourselves and with different ammo. In reality there are so many things it could be, that best to just send it back to Ruger. One of the problems was the owner only had one magazine. I have not bought a Ruger in years, but didn't they use to include two?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts