Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new to the forum but I've been shooting Ruger firearms for a number of years; Mark III, LCR 22lr and I just purchased an LCP Max. The Max has a very strong slide stop release tab that is hard for me to get a good purchase with my trigger hand. In fact, I usually have to use my left hand (while holding the gun with my right), to pull the stop down in order to release the slide forward. Obviously, this is more of a problem when there is no magazine in the gun. When shooting, I just pull the slide back a bit and release it to chamber a round, but with my arthritis I would like an easier to use stop tab.

Question(s): Will the slide stop release tab get easier over time? Does anyone know if there is an after-market tab that is slightly larger and maybe flatter on the top that would be easier to push down? I added a similar device to one of my Glocks and it made a world of difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi All, I'm new to the forum but I've been shooting Ruger firearms for a number of years; Mark III, LCR 22lr and I just purchased an LCP Max. The Max has a very strong slide stop release tab that is hard for me to get a good purchase with my trigger hand. In fact, I usually have to use my left hand (while holding the gun with my right), to pull the stop down in order to release the slide forward. Obviously, this is more of a problem when there is no magazine in the gun. When shooting, I just pull the slide back a bit and release it to chamber a round, but with my arthritis I would like an easier to use stop tab.

Question(s): Will the slide stop release tab get easier over time? Does anyone know if there is an after-market tab that is slightly larger and maybe flatter on the top that would be easier to push down? I added a similar device to one of my Glocks and it made a world of difference.

Thanks
It will get a little bit easier with use, however, the most reliable way to load a round will be the "slingshot" method of pulling back the slide and releasing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed, but due to arthritis, it's easier on my other semi-autos to use my thumb to close the slide rather than use my left hand and sling-shot it close. My Mark III and my Glock 42 are much easier to use just my thumb than it is on the Max/

·
Registered
714 Posts
Small "pocket pistols" usually have safetys and slide releases that are small and tight to the gun, so that they won't get caught on clothing, but they are not easy to release. I find it quicker to hit the release with my left hand as I'm bringing the gun onto target rather than sling-shotting it, but you have to be able to release the slide. I have occasion to shoot my Shield in competition and I end up wrapping a couple of layers of adhesive tape around my left thumb knuckle otherwise the knuckle gets scraped.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Small "pocket pistols" usually have safetys and slide releases that are small and tight to the gun, so that they won't get caught on clothing, but they are not easy to release.
^^^ what they said ^^^

it also depends on the pistol.
My P95 and MK4 are really easy to drop the slide using the side lever. the American pistols are doable but require a little more pressure. on the SR series pistols I was unable to use the release and was forced to pull back the side. on the LCP and LC9 pistols it is impossible as there is nothing to get your thumb on.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I also agree with rammerjammer. Using that slide stop to release slide will cause some wear to the mechanism. It might be ok occasionally or if you're in a hurry but for typical use, slingshot. What does your manual say?
P.S. Welcome aboard Troxler!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts