Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger has made it official, the new release is the LCP Max. Basically the same size as an LCP II but given the slimmed down double stack magazine for capacities of 10 or 12.

I'm not likely to replace my LCP Custom because I prefer pocket carrying my LCR anyways. And I'm not too keen on having to buy another new gun, magazines etc when I already have an LCP I rarely carry.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Well, this is cool. I'm interested to know how the new barrel cam geometry affects recoil. If it's less than my LCP II, I'll buy one.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The manufacturers are getting pretty adept at using this semi-staggered scheme to squeeze more rounds into their magazines. Just when you think that they can't possible do anything revolutionary until they mass market caseless ammo or switch to rail propulsion, they find a way to make us all take notice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’m just not a fan of any striker fired belly gun. My Custom with a 7 round mag takes up just a tad more space to have 8 on tap and shoots beautifully ( for a belly gun).
I can see where some folks would see the need for the the slightly larger capacity though especially LE types needing a backup ect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
b. My Custom with a 7 round mag takes up just a tad more space to have 8 on tap and shoots beautifully
( for a belly gun).
I can see where some folks would see the need for the the slightly larger capacity though especially LE types needing a backup ect.

I’m just not a fan of any striker fired belly gun. My Custom with a 7 round mag takes up just a tad more space to have 8 on tap and shoots beautifully ( for a belly gun).

Actually, it's hammer fired.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Meh! Absolutely ridiculous for something that costs a lot more than a 9mm and its inherent problems with people cant shoot a blowback well enough to not have a jam. 👎👎

·
Registered
578 Posts
Meh! Absolutely ridiculous for something that costs a lot more than a 9mm and its inherent problems with people cant shoot a blowback well enough to not have a jam. 👎👎
I have no personal LCP experience, so I can only comment on this new design's innovative features as compared to other compact pistols.

With that being said, you are right on with regards to problems some people have with blowback pistols. My wife is one of those. She has issues with her PPK/S, while I can run it without any problems. She shoots the G42, on the other hand, without any issues.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The LCP Max is not a blowback pistol... it's a recoil operated (locked breech) design.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The more I look at the LCP Max and after having watched a few videos of it on YouTube the more I like it. The sights and capacity are game changers from the rest of the LCP lineup.

Pros
10 or 12 round magazines
Tritium front sight
No magazine safety disconnect or external safety
5 lb trigger
10 oz
Still truly a micro pistol that will fit in your pocket

For those who don't like plastic or 380 this ain't for you.

My first carry gun back in 2009 was an LCP. Easy to fit in your pocket and barely noticeable. Around 2012 or 2013 I switched my EDC to an LCR and it is still the gun I carry 95% of the time. I prefer revolvers for carry and general shooting. I've felt confident with 5 shots for years. Plastic is not a concern for me on autos or revolvers, though K frames are my favorite guns of all. I eventually got some of the 7 round magazines for my LCP (upgraded to a Custom model with actual sights) and found the extra round made the grip much more shootable but still rarely carried it.

But to basically get a gun in the same size range as my first edc but have 13 rounds on tap instead of 5 and little chance of a reload or 7+1 in my LCP Custom seems like a natural evolution in carry.

I'm not going to go buy one immediately but could see picking one up after they've been out for awhile and prices stabilize

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
@rammerjammer

I just purchased an LCP for it's micro size. Picked up a 7 round mag and now have a 7+1 true pocket pistol. I was looking for a DAO with a heavy trigger pull and it fills that bill. I must admit I didn't know this was being introduced or that might have been a game changer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's good that they put the browning-style "ears" on the slide serrations finally. Ten years later... 🙄 Hope it sells well.
But alas, not my tribe. It's a mayodan gun, so it's essentially an assemble & ship gun. No tuning, no gunsmithing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will pass. I love Rugers, I have owned many LCP's. Quality just not there. I will stick with a Single stack all day long especially in a Pocket size gun. The idea of a wider grip is exact opposite of what I prefer. I would have rather seen Ruger focus on better quality than capacity. At least they finally put a night sight on it. I also prefer a DAO like the Gen 2. I hate the LCPll trigger. I shoot the LCP ll 22 and LCR22 for training. Love the LCR, not impressed with the LCP at all. I do think it will be successful as the new fad is capacity. The MSRP of $449 for a LCP is ridiculous.high. Saw a LCP ll in my LGS just yesterday for $239. That would be a much better buy.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,304 Posts
Not for me for a couple reasons:
  • I don't need more capacity for all of the .380 ammo I can't get. (I haven't seen .380 on a store shelf since last summer.)
  • I don't need a "bigger tiny gun".
My LCP is perfect for it's existing "tiny gun" role which is to slip in an uncle mike's holster and it becomes a man's bi-fold wallet-sized / shaped package. I may wish my wallet was fatter, but I've never wished my pocket gun was.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts