Ruger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay, picked mine up yesterday. Had no inclination to get one this early, but a local shop gave me a good trade on an LCPII, a gun that didn't serve as well as the original LCP. Was happy to be rid of that.
The II and the Max both have more 'strikerish' triggers, consistent with other carry guns (relax, know it has a hammer).
Quick range eval yesterday.
The good- MUCH milder recoil than the earlier versions, which were rappy little buggers. Feels better in the hand, GREAT sights that actually are useful. Slide is easy to rack; the 'ears' help. Mag isn't too tough to load, except for #10; if it ever enters my carry rotation, it will be with 10 rounds, period.
The not-so-good- Two failures to feed in 75 rounds. One was the second round, a blunt nosed 95 gr reload; worked smoothly on those thereafter, as well as on 95 FMJ. One was a failure of the mag stack to rise, and it required a bump to bring them up; that with Speer Gold Dots.
Loaded +1 once, and it worked, but the slide was a little sluggish going into battery on the next round. Only carry 10 IMHO.
So, not ready to carry it just yet; it is smaller than my much loved G42, and 365.
But it does have potential when smaller is more better.
Moon

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’ve been waiting for the LCP Max for 40 years.

My quest for a pocket .380 started in the early 80’s with an AMT .380 Backup. Since then I’ve purchased a PPK/s, LCP, LCP II, and Glock 42. And then there were the pocket revolvers. S&W model 60, S&W titanium 342, and Colt Detective Special. I still own them all.

They were either to big, too small, grip too short, too heavy, poor sights, slide lock too easily engaged while firing with a thumbs forward hold (G42) , and all with low round capacity.

I purchased the LCP Max last night at Cabela’s.

I can’t find anything that I don’t like about the design. No longer do I need a finger extension just to get two full fingers around the lower grip. The tritium white outline front sight is perfect. It fills my palm well. The weight is less than 11 ounces. 10 + 1 round capacity, WOW.

I can hardly wait to take it to the range next week. I hope the accuracy and point ability is good enough to hit 8” plates at 36 feet. I can hit plates with the G42 and LCP II.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thin is in. I will stick with the Pico and Kahr.
Bosco, do not get rid of your PICO! lol, I know you love that gun as I do.
No, not a chance. I'm carrying mine as I write this! I've grown quite fond of this little pistol, and know that I can entrust my life to it.

But the Max quickly became an itch that I had to scratch.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have to admit that I do not like the triggers on the LCP max or the Sig 365. But if I were to choose between the two, I would choose the LCP Max. Why not, about 7 oz lighter and just a smaller gun. I have shot small pocket guns so often I really do not need as much range time so the 380, which is a mild shooting gun would be the choice. And the 380 cartridge is advancing all the time. It is a cartridge that is here to stay regardless of the big bore crowd. The fact that Ruger is investing in it, is a sign they believe in it.Good luck with the MAX, I think you are going to like it. Keep posted and full reviews. I know you are a true Pocket Gunner and trust your views on Pocket guns.
I may just end up getting one myself. However, I know how I am. And if I did, I would do what I always do and start shooting the heck out of it and blow through a lot of my 380 stash. Lol, I had almost 15,000 rds before the virus hit with my Beretta Nano. And that was a lot of shooting in just a year and a half. My last normal shooting was with a New Kahr P380 in March of that year. A standard 200 rd range trip
By the way, it ran flawless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks much. I agree wholeheartedly about the viability of 380. With today's loadings, you can approach the 9mm performance I was getting out of my 9mm pistols 30 years ago. And the fact that we now have so many completely reliable micros is a true wonder as well.

Glad you are loving your Kahr. I, alas, ended up selling mine about a year ago. Mine was just too ammo-picky to completely rely upon, especially compared to my RM380 and Pico. They are great little guns, with awesome triggers, and if you can get them to run right they are a lot of fun to shoot.

I'm not expecting the Ruger to be as robust as the Pico or the Kahr, I learned today that they are NOT approved for +P ammo, which is disappointing. So I'll be doing the bulk of my shooting with cheap range ammo, but would probably risk loading it with some Underwood rounds for SD.

·
Registered
97 Posts
One thing about the Ruger LCP, is the fact that will run just about any ammo, so I bet it will shoot Underwood. My P32 sure has no problem with it. I doubt a few rounds to run check it out and carry will hurt the gun. (But it is a risk). I had a hot round crack a LCP before. It was a freedom Munition round that as soon as I shot it, I knew it was Hot! That was when the company first got started. I wrote to them and told them it was hot but they denied it. Regardless Ruger replaced it. I save the ammo and later shot it with the Pico a few later with no problems.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm not expecting the Ruger to be as robust as the Pico or the Kahr, I learned today that they are NOT approved for +P ammo, which is disappointing. So I'll be doing the bulk of my shooting with cheap range ammo, but would probably risk loading it with some Underwood rounds for SD.
I agree the Ruger probably won’t be as durable as the Pico or Kahr. But does any manufacturer give their blessing on .380 +P ammo since there’s no SAAMI spec for it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree the Ruger probably won’t be as durable as the Pico or Kahr. But does any manufacturer give their blessing on .380 +P ammo since there’s no SAAMI spec for it?
I believe that, at a minimum, Kahr, Beretta, Glock, KelTec, and Kimber all do...at least, that is what my quick Google search told me this morning.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do not think that since SAAMI does not rate or list 380 does not mean that there is not Plus P. Call it Plus P or call it hot ammo, Shoot these guns enough and you know which is which. By the way, my go to carry ammo is still PrecisionOne Plus P. Still have not gotten around to trying the Underwood/Lehigh.Thakfully I stocked up with plenty before the ammo shortage. Every thing seems out now. I did try to order some of the Underwood, but OUT.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I believe that, at a minimum, Kahr, Beretta, Glock, KelTec, and Kimber all do...at least, that is what my quick Google search told me this morning.
It would be cool if SAAMI came out with a spec for it. I use Precision One .380 +P XTP in my P238, it’s rated 50fps higher velocity than their standard loading. I just wasn’t aware any manufacturer specifically addressed it. I believe the P238 to be significantly more robust than any LCP variant as well.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Yesterday I scored on some ARX ammo for my 9 MM's...I thought they were out of business. The reason I bring this up is I feel it's a great ammunition for short barreled guns. Those not familiar with it... it's a copper/composite matrix bullet formed under high pressure that is fluted. It's lighter weight allows it to develop higher velocity. It does not expand like a conventional lead bullet but the spinning flutes create a outward pressure when contacting soft tissue causing what is known as a Venturi effect. Short story is that it creates a comparable wound cavity to that of a fully expanded hollow point. .380 ACP's weigh in at 56 grains and clip along at 1250 fps. It's and ideal cartridge for lighter weight pistols because it mitigates recoil reliably and one can get back on target quicker for follow up shots.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use ARX Plus P in my LCR. Even the Plus P is softer recoil than standard ammo and the ballistics are great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Big fan of the ARX rounds. I carry in in my Rohrbaugh R9, in part because it is so light shooting. And in part because-- since Rohrbaugh is no longer in existence, and spare parts are rare--I wanted a round that beats the gun up as little as possible.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is a great review of the LCR9mm and the ARX ammo.

Reactions: Armybrat

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
No qualms about how the ARX ammo will run in semi-autos?
I'd want to get enough to test hop it.
Moon
I've shot in in several of my 9mm and 380 micros and they all seem to love it. In my experience, the flatter nose and sharper flutes of the Extreme Defender ammo can be more challenging for some of the small guns with tighter tolerances, although in general I would prefer that round.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts