Ruger Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sig 365 vs Ruger LCPMAX
I have been thinking about this. I am totally happy with my present EDC's. Not really into the extra rounds belief and love my Revolvers, Pocket guns and Single stacks

BUT! If I were to have to choose between only two, The popular 365 or the Max. it is possible I would choose the Max.
1) Much less weight. My gosh a full half Pound! over 8 ounces
2) Smaller, (and I am a small gun advocate and enthusiast)
3) I am trained and proficient with small Pistols including Micro 9's that I own, I could still train with 9mm and the transition to the MAX would be a piece of cake for myself. So I could still reap the benifits of the cheaper 9mm ammo
4) The modern Day 380 cartridge has evolved tremendously over the past 5 years alone and still continuing to evolve.
5) Ruger is the only Manufactuer that has a 22.cal basically the same size and weight for training/Practice. And for experienced shooters the transition going from one to the other is no big deal.
5) Ruger Customer Service still remains the best.

Look at the size difference. Which one would you want to tote around all day every day as far as weight and size? Lol, makes the 365 look like a full size duty gun in comparison.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sig 365 vs Ruger LCPMAX
I have been thinking about this. I am totally happy with my present EDC's. Not really into the extra rounds belief and love my Revolvers, Pocket guns and Single stacks

BUT! If I were to choose between the two, The popular 365 or the Max. I would go with the MAX
1) Much less weight. My gosh a full half Pound! over 8 ounces
2) Smaller, (and I am a small gun advocate and enthusiast)
3) I am trained and proficient with small Pistols including Micro 9's that I own, I could still train with 9mm and the transition to the MAX would be a piece of cake for myself. So I could still reap the benifits of the cheaper 9mm ammo
4) The modern Day 380 cartridge has evolved tremendously over the past 5 years alone and still continuing to evolve.
5) Ruger is the only Manufactuer that has a 22.cal basically the same size and weight for training/Practice. And for experienced shooters the transition going from one to the other is no big deal.
5) Ruger Customer Service still remains the best.

Look at the size difference. Which one would you want to tote around all day every day as far as weight and size? Lol, makes the 365 look like a full size duty gun in comparison.

All the reasons I more often carry my P238 than my P365. The P365 is a very reliable and durable gun though; approaching 2500 rounds through mine without a single malfunction & no signs of wear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's not necessarily a binary choice; the 365 is in a service caliber, and reliable/easy to shoot, and relatively small. The G42 is flatter and smaller, dead reliable, and easy to shoot. The Max is another step down in size, yet remains easy to shoot, and with real sights. The original LCP is smaller still, and I'm thinking really hard about getting one, having sold away my others.
Moon

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
All the reasons I more often carry my P238 than my P365. The P365 is a very reliable and durable gun though; approaching 2500 rounds through mine without a single malfunction & no signs of wear.
I carry a Kimber Micro 9 Rapide quite a bit. It's a just about the same size as the P238 and weighs a couple ounces more. I replace my P365 with it as I didn't care for the grip. The Kimber conceals extremely well and has a little more punch. I carry a LCP as a BUG.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a PPK and a PPK/s, both in 380,in the 70s and they were unshootable to me, and I shot 500 rounds of 45 acp a week back then . I would rather have shot my friends Model 57 than the PPK. Maybe it's just me. I don't think anything about shooting 50 rounds through my first model LCP. It's sharp, but it doesn't hurt. The PPK hurt my hand, besides all the cuts from the slide. I love the look and takedown of them. Maybe I'll find a deal on one in 32 someday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
... Maybe I'll find a deal on one in 32 someday.
The .32 is like Baby Bear's Porridge; it's just right. The issue with the .380 PP series is the abrupt stop of slide at the end of its travel; it smacks the frame, giving it a ugly snap.
Three eighties in a 42, which is significantly lighter, are sweethearts to shoot.
The original LCP was no bed of roses, but it made up for it by being really small, and working all the time...which is something else the Walther doesn't always do as a .380.
Personally, I love Walthers, but recognize their limitations as a defense gun. There are better choices.
Moon

·
Registered
97 Posts
The LCP's besides having a aluminum chassis, have IMO from shooting so many of them and witnessing the cracks they suffer is weak recoil Springs. The Pico and Kahr for instance keep running indefinitely with the steel chassis or steel inserts and they have strong recoil spring from the factory. The receiver of the LCP 380 does take a hard blow each time, evident from the cracks at the end of the receiver once you shoot the gun to a certain number of rounds. You really need a strong recoil spring. I see Gallaway already has a 13# springs out. When I owned LCP;s (have one left) I made sure to use them over the stock 11#.I also believe in changing out the recoil spring much earlier than most people. I bought #13 recoil springs in bulk and would change them out every 500 rds.
I have always believed the Ruger LCP and Keltec should have been designed in 32acp only. 380 just too much pressure for these guns. Even my Keltec P32 I by multiple heavier springs from Wolf.
I also believe from experience, is to purchase a steel guide rod. Beretta ships them out as standard in the Pico. Shoot the LCP's enough and you will see the beating the nylon or plastic head of the rod takes If nothing else, buy extra Plastic rods and make them part of your standard maintenance..

Reactions: Jack Ruger

·
Registered
54 Posts
The LCP's besides having a aluminum chassis, have IMO from shooting so many of them and witnessing the cracks they suffer is weak recoil Springs. The Pico and Kahr for instance keep running indefinitely with the steel chassis or steel inserts and they have strong recoil spring from the factory. The receiver of the LCP 380 does take a hard blow each time, evident from the cracks at the end of the receiver once you shoot the gun to a certain number of rounds. You really need a strong recoil spring. I see Gallaway already has a 13# springs out. When I owned LCP;s (have one left) I made sure to use them over the stock 11#.I also believe in changing out the recoil spring much earlier than most people. I bought #13 recoil springs in bulk and would change them out every 500 rds.
I have always believed the Ruger LCP and Keltec should have been designed in 32acp only. 380 just too much pressure for these guns. Even my Keltec P32 I by multiple heavier springs from Wolf.
I also believe from experience, is to purchase a steel guide rod. Beretta ships them out as standard in the Pico. Shoot the LCP's enough and you will see the beating the nylon or plastic head of the rod takes If nothing else, buy extra Plastic rods and make them part of your standard maintenance..
Devil', generally I agree with you. One of my reservations about the LCP was that it wasn't intended for a high round count. Some of the guys on the old Elsie Pea forum claimed huge round counts; always skeptical of that.
The trade-off was the tiny size in a useful caliber, and it was cheap.
The Kahr had a recoil spring that requires two men and a boy to rack the slide; one of the reasons I quit on Kahrs. It could only be charged from slide lock, and clearing a jam is near impossible against that spring.
BTW my LCPs have always had a steel recoil spring guide. Do like your idea of regular spring changes; do your replacements replace both the inner and outer springs?
IMHO, Ruger/SIG/somebody should mimic the size of the original LCP, but up the quality/durability, and add the great sights of the Max.
But capacity is the current selling point, so that's not apt to happen.
Moon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know what I think right now. I bought a LCP2 about 3 years ago. First time out it shot fine, probably 50 rounds. Second time out it started to jam up, stove piping and other various malfunctions.
Third time out it broke, with springs hanging out and a locked up slide. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel and a few other things. They sent it back. Only went to shoot it once since then and could not go through one magazine without a jam. So I am going get rid of it.
That being said, I know Ruger isn't in the habit of making junk, at least not on purpose. I have a LC9s that never fails me, and my AR556 is old reliable.
I took a chance and picked up a LCP Max on July 4th to replace the LCP2. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I like the feel. One thing that bothers me already though is that putting 10 rounds in the magazine means you have to use allot of force to seat the magazine. Then the slide doesn't want to rack easily on that first round. Also, when manually cycling it the rounds will often get jammed up and not extracted. Now I know it hasn't been fired and it may loosen up a bit, so I am not claiming these are issues (yet). Just kinda gives me a little concern. I will update my first range trip.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't know what I think right now. I bought a LCP2 about 3 years ago. First time out it shot fine, probably 50 rounds. Second time out it started to jam up, stove piping and other various malfunctions.
Third time out it broke, with springs hanging out and a locked up slide. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel and a few other things. They sent it back. Only went to shoot it once since then and could not go through one magazine without a jam. So I am going get rid of it.
That being said, I know Ruger isn't in the habit of making junk, at least not on purpose. I have a LC9s that never fails me, and my AR556 is old reliable.
I took a chance and picked up a LCP Max on July 4th to replace the LCP2. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I like the feel. One thing that bothers me already though is that putting 10 rounds in the magazine means you have to use allot of force to seat the magazine. Then the slide doesn't want to rack easily on that first round. Also, when manually cycling it the rounds will often get jammed up and not extracted. Now I know it hasn't been fired and it may loosen up a bit, so I am not claiming these are issues (yet). Just kinda gives me a little concern. I will update my first range trip.
I had a similar experience with a .380 LCP II which is why I haven’t picked up a MAX. If you lock the slide open the magazine will be easy to insert.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar experience with a .380 LCP II which is why I haven’t picked up a MAX. If you lock the slide open the magazine will be easy to insert.
Same. I had two LCP II pistols. The first I bought, and the second was the replacement pistol Ruger CS sent me. Both were jammomatics, and I don't remember getting through a single magazine without a malfunction. Total garbage.

But this one has me intrigued, and I'm currently in my 7-day waiting period...I take delivery early next week. I'm cautiously optimistic after hearing what Ruger did to improve reliability.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Devil', generally I agree with you. One of my reservations about the LCP was that it wasn't intended for a high round count. Some of the guys on the old Elsie Pea forum claimed huge round counts; always skeptical of that.
The trade-off was the tiny size in a useful caliber, and it was cheap.
The Kahr had a recoil spring that requires two men and a boy to rack the slide; one of the reasons I quit on Kahrs. It could only be charged from slide lock, and clearing a jam is near impossible against that spring.
BTW my LCPs have always had a steel recoil spring guide. Do like your idea of regular spring changes; do your replacements replace both the inner and outer springs?
IMHO, Ruger/SIG/somebody should mimic the size of the original LCP, but up the quality/durability, and add the great sights of the Max.
But capacity is the current selling point, so that's not apt to happen.
Moon
Interesting. Yes, the Kahr and the Pico have strong recoil springs. However, I have no problem with racking the slide on either. I think that comes down to just proper technique more than anything and familiarity with the guns.. In fact, I have shot them so often that racking the slide does not even cross my mind.
So Ruger now ships with steel guide rods. Never saw this. Glad to see them doing it.
You say some folks on the Elsie Pea forum claimed huge round counts? Most of what I saw was the opposite. There was one guy who said he had 3,000 rds in his. I am skeptical as well, since I have had so many of them. Maybe he was shooting light loads etc? What is your idea of high round count? A good quality pocket 380 can well exceed 3,000 rds. The Pico is without a doubt the best quality I have seen in a 380. And is comparable in size to the LCP original and LCP gen 2. I own three of them. The gun is modular and all steel throughout the gun and I can change grips, clean the gun and trigger parts very easily and any parts are simple to replace if necessary. Just bought a new grip for $16.00. Some grips I have done my own stipling. Not big deal if I make a mistake etc.Also on the Kahr and the Pico I can purchase both a barrel or receiver down the road.
One of my gun ranges as a special deal. If you buy a gun from them, the range fee is half off for the year. And now the GEN2 is only $249.00 so I am thinking of getting another one. I have one gen2 now and spare recoil springs, take down pins etc. So another one will be good for a "Truck Gun" etc. And I can shoot them well and prefer the trigger. I am thinking that the Gen 2 will come down even further in the next few months. If I could get one for $200.or under with the discount, it would be a good deal.

The Beretta Pico next to my small P32. The heavy receiver makes this gun a very mild shooter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ruger has made it official, the new release is the LCP Max. Basically the same size as an LCP II but given the slimmed down double stack magazine for capacities of 10 or 12.

I'm not likely to replace my LCP Custom because I prefer pocket carrying my LCR anyways. And I'm not too keen on having to buy another new gun, magazines etc when I already have an LCP I rarely carry.
I just signed up on this site and cannot figure out how to start a conversation. I just bought a Ruger LCP Max which apparently is defective. I filled a mag and cycled one into the chamber, but when I tried cycling the slide again, the bullets jammed together; I ejected the mag and used a carpenter's pencil to force the cartridge out. I tried different ammo and it did the same thing. It does the same thing whether the mag is empty or loaded. It did the same on 2 new 12 rd. Ruger brand mags I just got in. I have only owned 3 other semi-autos and none of them had this problem. I even disassemble the pistol to no avail. Before I contact Ruger, am I doing something stupid that is not obvious? Your help will be greatly appreciated. I am very disappointed with Ruger; none of the videos on You Tube mentioned this problem so maybe it is just me. I may be 68 years old, but I didn't think I was senile!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lol, you just did start a conversation and thanks for sharing. It is hard to tell from your description. Can you load up a mag and just remove each round by hand and see how well they eject? Do you have any snap caps to practice with? I would suspect it is user error and probably something simple to fix. If you do not have snap caps, then load up the gun (safely) and just try one round and sling shot the slide, then try two, etc. Good luck, I am sure things will work out. If not Ruger will take care of you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just signed up on this site and cannot figure out how to start a conversation. I just bought a Ruger LCP Max which apparently is defective. I filled a mag and cycled one into the chamber, but when I tried cycling the slide again, the bullets jammed together; I ejected the mag and used a carpenter's pencil to force the cartridge out. I tried different ammo and it did the same thing. It does the same thing whether the mag is empty or loaded. It did the same on 2 new 12 rd. Ruger brand mags I just got in. I have only owned 3 other semi-autos and none of them had this problem. I even disassemble the pistol to no avail. Before I contact Ruger, am I doing something stupid that is not obvious? Your help will be greatly appreciated. I am very disappointed with Ruger; none of the videos on You Tube mentioned this problem so maybe it is just me. I may be 68 years old, but I didn't think I was senile!
same happened to me. You have to rack the slide hard and fast for a live round to eject. Alsoto clear the round that is stuck. First lock the slide back with the slide lock. Remove the mag , then cycle the stuck round. It will eject from the empty magazine well down or eject normally. But with mine it ejects from the magazine well as it’s gravity .

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to rack the slide hard and fast for a live round to eject.
Ditto.
Also, when I was dry cycling mine after bringing it home, the slide didn’t always lock open when racking with an empty mag. But I’ve had zero issues of any kind with it at the range, through almost 500 rounds now. No jams, no FTE, no failure to battery, no malfunctions at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ditto.
Also, when I was dry cycling mine after bringing it home, the slide didn’t always lock open when racking with an empty mag. But I’ve had zero issues of any kind with it at the range, through almost 500 rounds now. No jams, no FTE, no failure to battery, no malfunctions at all.
Read my original post. Mine was at the range. I will retest. It’s on the other thread I started , the range post

·
Registered
54 Posts
Devil', in response, I recall some Elsie Pea folks claiming north of 5k rounds; like I said, I was skeptical. There is some BS on gun forums! ;) Fully concur with the 'spare parts' or even 'spare gun' thinking; anytime I really like a pistol, it ends up as a 'pair and a spare', which currently applies to G42s and 365s.
Due respect, really don't care for the Pico, don't like the ergos or the trigger. A friend has one, and I've tried it...but he likes his, and Hickock gave it a good review.
My real issue with the Kahr wasn't in charging it; I could get it to slide lock without any trouble for loading. The concern was with a jam or double feed, that I couldn't rack the slide violently to clear a malf.
Favorite .380 is the 42; yeah, it's a little bigger, but it will tolerate a ton of shooting, mild recoil, great sights and usual Glock trigger.
For the PPs troubled by dry cycling rounds thru' the gun....
First, be careful. Second, as others have stated, you really need to work the slide vigorously, just like when the gun is being fired.
Go shoot it before assuming it doesn't work.
Moon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lol, you just did start a conversation and thanks for sharing. It is hard to tell from your description. Can you load up a mag and just remove each round by hand and see how well they eject? Do you have any snap caps to practice with? I would suspect it is user error and probably something simple to fix. If you do not have snap caps, then load up the gun (safely) and just try one round and sling shot the slide, then try two, etc. Good luck, I am sure things will work out. If not Ruger will take care of you.
Thanks. It is if the bullet is too long; it is getting stuck as it tries to eject. It is the same ammo I use in my Keltec P3AT and never had a problem. I am using Hornaday Critical Defense Speer round nose ammo. I guess I will just call Ruger. Thanks. I guess I shouldn't have bought a weapon until it has been out for at least 6 months.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts