Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to order a few extra parts from Shop Ruger. One of the extra parts I ordered was a "stock SC03750" takedown pin for my LCP as an extra just in case. It was directly ordered and came from Ruger customer service AZ this week. Anyway, notice the change, as there is now a double ridge cut for the spring to sit in. Did the best I could on the photo below to show y'all. Also the head on the new pin appears a tiny bit smaller. For the record my LCP is a 2nd Gen Stainless.

Photos linked below can be seen here in my LCP review:

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/lcp-technical/21261-perfect-lcp-combinations-found.html

·
Banned
650 Posts
Good, because the retention spring can cause the head of the take down pin to pop off. I had the head of a similar take down pin pop off on a Kel Tec. I was able to repair the gun but it was a real PITA. The notch prevents the retention spring from causing a stress fracture. I read that take down pin was breaking on the LCP.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good, because the retention spring can cause the head of the take down pin to pop off. I had the head of a similar take down pin pop off on a Kel Tec. I was able to repair the gun but it was a real PITA. The notch prevents the retention spring from causing a stress fracture. I read that take down pin was breaking on the LCP.
OldCrow-Have you pulled yours and checked it out ? New or old ?

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My pin the old style. I bought my gun in April. But according to the date on the proof case envelope my LCP had sit on the shelf for over a year.
Thanks OC...

I take my CCW gun very seriously and don't need any unexpected problems. I'm not sure though yet if it is mim or a forged part now for even more added strength. I'll call Monday and find out or if anyone with Ruger or whoever knows the answers, feel free to chime in and let us all know ?

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yikes! GONRA hopes the Galloway Precision slotted head / twist off
replacement pin doesn't "snap off"!
Based on some of the various threads addressing the pin problems, I've read that the twist off aftermarket pin had bent in several instances. Not sure if they have corrected that reported problem in their pins though. Maybe the newer pin is in the new custom LCP model...Anyone with the "newer" pin report in ?

·
Banned
650 Posts
Based on some of the various threads addressing the pin problems, I've read that the twist off aftermarket pin had bent in several instances. Not sure if they have corrected that reported problem in their pins though. Maybe the newer pin is in the new custom LCP model...Anyone with the "newer" pin report in ?
You maybe correct. I just checked my wife's LCP custom it has the new style take down pin. I didn't think to check her pistol when looked at my pistol. I do not recall the date on the proof case from her pistol. All I recall is how happy she was to see the new pistol and how happy I was to actually take possession of my own LCP.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sure glad my Gen 2 doesn't need a new pin. I have to pop mine off with a small screwdriver as it is, I can't imagine what it would be like if it had a spring groove on it too. Ouch.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually if you all look at the new custom, and according to the post of OldCrow above, the New Customs probably all have the new pin. In fact, if you go to the Ruger sight you can also look at the photos provided, and if you look close at the Gen II stainless as compared to the New Custom, you'll see that other pins also are a bit different. The various custom's pins have tiny punch indents also such as looking at the trigger pin etc for example. I suspect we will be seeing soon, maybe by Christmas a New Custom come out in "stainless" with all of the minor various improvements that Ruger has been doing. Yep, I'd buy one of those Gen III's.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Sure glad my Gen 2 doesn't need a new pin. I have to pop mine off with a small screwdriver as it is, I can't imagine what it would be like if it had a spring groove on it too. Ouch.
The groove does not make the gun any harder to take down. The groove prevents the detent spring from rubbing a groove in the take down pin that turns into a stress fracture. If there is noticeable wear on your take down pin you need to replace the take down pin on your LCP.

I would not be concern if the part is MIM or cast. MIM is just as strong as the metal that is injected into the mold. MIM is so widespread in the gun manufacturing business that no matter how much you pay for a gun it has molded parts if it is mass produced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The groove does not make the gun any harder to take down. The groove prevents the detent spring from rubbing a groove in the take down pin that turns into a stress fracture. If there is noticeable wear on your take down pin you need to replace the take down pin on your LCP.
OldCrow is correct. I decided to pop in the "new" extra pin I received and there is no real difference in the ease of take out. If you look carefully at the new pin, it does have a slight taper roll in the spring indent area that is cut rounding up a bit there. I suspect it was done for that purpose.

I will be range testing the newer pin tomorrow in my Gen II SS. I also suspect Ruger customer service will be busy on Monday with LCP pin questions and or orders lol :)

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Early this morning-Field tested "new take down pin" with 50 rounds of Hornady FTX 90's.

The Results:

1) New pin is tighter and stays in place much better. No walking or problems of any kind or any failures to feed etc etc etc. It did seem a bit more accurate in grouping as well. Maybe cause it seems to hold the barrel a bit tighter, but not sure on that point.

2) New pin is slightly harder to take out requiring a little extra effort when disassembling.

3) New pin, although a bit harder to remove, has a clearer opening on top now to insert a small screwdriver to pop and remove. Pin sits flush to frame and the click is more noticeable both in and out. Use of a small cleaning patch and or plastic baggie along the side and between the frame and screwdriver shaft when snapping out avoids any blemish of the slide.

4) New pin seems to be of a harder strength steel, but can't be sure on this one as only the manufacturer of the new pin could give us that answer.

Conclusion:

All and all, imho, another Ruger home run and they came through in spades with the new pin design which seems to be the answer to any and all previous problems that might have occurred on various the LCP models.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I just use a roofing tack to pop out the take down pin without any issue or damage to my gun. Any nail with a thin head is a good item to have in your tool box. If you could just pop out the take down pin with your fingernail it would walk out. I could see it now, excuse me Mr bad guy. I need to put my gun back together. Then I am going to shoot your ***.

·
Registered
324 Posts
So if you order the pin from Ruger you WILL get the new version? I bought a couple of spares from Midway about a year ago but they are both the old style. I haven't had any failures but should everyone get the new style to be safe? What's everyone going to do?

·
Registered
178 Posts
So if you order the pin from Ruger you WILL get the new version? I bought a couple of spares from Midway about a year ago but they are both the old style. I haven't had any failures but should everyone get the new style to be safe? What's everyone going to do?

I bought a couple direct from Ruger a couple of months ago and they were the new style.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I am not going to do anything until my current take down pin shows some sign of wear. I put a titanium firing pin in my LCP when I installed the Wolff firing pin spring. I am pretty sure my LCP already had a titanium firing pin in it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts