Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why used LCPs are often more expensive than new ones, even with no extra accessories? I'm seeing new ones for $200 and used for $250 minimum...
Just curious if there is some quality or feature difference that I'm unaware of.
Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anybody know why used LCPs are often more expensive than new ones, even with no extra accessories? I'm seeing new ones for $200 and used for $250 minimum...
Just curious if there is some quality or feature difference that I'm unaware of.
Thanks!
Someone bought when they were $300-350 and hasn't gotten the memo yet.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
Pricing used guns is tricky. If you put a fair price (even saying "firm") you will still get the guy offering half of it or so, because he knew someone who had a friend who bought it new some time ago for less than your price, and then they get offended when you refuse their offer; due to this many price their guns high, then negotiate down.

Some also tend to overvalue extras. A $100 custom holster does not increase the value of your gun $100, or hardly at all. Magazines and ammo surprisingly enough don't really increase value all that much either - it is almost better to sell them separately. It is like curb appeal for a house- nice landscaping may make it sell faster, but it doesn't tend to add a premium to the price. High demand with a low supply seems to be the biggest way to increase gun value.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. People over value their firearms often. That, or they're unaware of the market such as price drops, popularity drops, demand drop, etc.

I always go for new if possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And these are not personal used prices, these are prices I see in gun stores. I believe I'll keep shopping around. I currently carry an LC9, which fits the bill quite well, so there's no hurry.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
And these are not personal used prices, these are prices I see in gun stores. I believe I'll keep shopping around. I currently carry an LC9, which fits the bill quite well, so there's no hurry.
Good point. Used prices in a gun store always tend to be overpriced in my experience.

Sometimes you can find some really good deals in a pawn shop, if you know what you are looking for. Other times they are just as overpriced as the gun store.

The one thing is, you may be able to offer less and get a good deal if you are prepared to walk away if they don't negotiate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
At one point a new LCP cost in the neighborhood of $350, so selling it used for $250 was the reasonable thing to do. Then Ruger dropped the bottom out of the price. So one may now in reality only expect the used market to reflect the drop of current new prices. No one is going to pay more for a used one even if the used one has two mags and a holster. Those dealers that got stuck trading a used gun in from a customer for more than what it is really worth (market value) shouldn't expect to be able to charge a stupid price for that gun. It is not like they were rare in any way, shape, or form. IMHO.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Then there are some shops that are ridiculously high on new ones. I was in Gander Mtn a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $399 for an LCP with the stainless slide that has an MSRP OF $289. I told them they were crazy. Later I bought one from my local gun shop for $250.

·
Registered
927 Posts
PSA had a $199.99 deal on them in an email I got this morning, but they are out of stock now.

Paid $300 for mine not long after they were introduced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love my LCP. Only thing I'm bummed about is I paid full retail of $329 about 3 weeks before the prices dropped to $199. Sucks to be me sometimes, lol. So yeah, if I decide to sell it I will ask more for it used than someone could buy new for, lol. But quite honestly, I will keep it, carry it and shoot it 'till it quits working. And being a Ruger, that could be a very long time. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
927 Posts
I just strolled through the Gander Mountain store here in Round Rock - their LCP in the glass case had a price tag of $399 on it.
You should have bought that one, then your used gun would be worth $340. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can remember paying about 240.00 with taxes for the ones I purchased. I do seem them all the time at the local stores for close to 280.00.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just came home with my new LCP base model for 199+ tax. Been searching for a 380 pocket gun. Luckily this time the cheapest 1 fit me best! It had the best feeling trigger in my price range (less than $400)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up an LCP Custom for $239 last week. I thought that was a pretty good price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
These pistols ar3 wildly affordable now. PSA has had the basic LCP for $200 for months now. Pretty awesome for a pocket rocket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts