Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, Just got to take my new LCP out for a test drive.
Seems accurate enough for its intended use. At 3 YDS I had no problems
getting a 2-3 inch group. Ok for a first time out.
No problems feeding or Ejecting. I put 70 rounds
down range. Ya..Just 70 cause my trigger finger was really
stinging. So is that the norm with the LCP ?? Don't want to
sound like a Whiny baby but geez.. it needs a rubber cushion or something
on the trigger. Anyone else have the experience ? I will note the temp at test drive time was around 40 degrees.
I was running plain Ole' Winchester White box , Perfecta and tried a few rounds
of the Hornaday Critical Defense ammo..
On the fun side.. Its a real flame thrower with that short little barrel.

Thanks

KK

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
They can bite. This seems to be true with first shots. Gloves or some grip sleeve can help with avoiding pain. Practice also makes perfect. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Hogue grip makes a big difference on gripping the gun.
The stock trigger is narrow, so it bites into your finger a little. Check out Galloway Performance, they sell a replacement trigger that is much better and it's adjustable.
They also sell a SS guide rod and some springs that make the gun better too.

Steve

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The hogue grips really do help. I got the Galloway trigger kit but sent it back. I felt no noticeable difference in my opinion. I got a De Santis nemesis holster and I can us it in either front or back pocket. Anyway you go the LCP 2nd gen is a winner.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The Galloway trigger will help, but this is not a "high volume" range gun. It is intended as a very close in defensive weapon. High round count range sessions are likely to cause pain.
I will shoot 2 mags of ammo at every range session, about once a week. Thats all I need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It sounds like it's moving in your hand after it fires. I agree add the houge grip and I like the mag ext as well. I suspect you will find that the problem goes away

When the LCP first came out there were a lot of complaints of trigger bite which is what you describe I believe.

I have a Friend that uses the old cup and saucer grip and gets good results. I just wrap my 2 fingers on the grip and then my other hand I wrap around. I can't do the two thumbs pointing forward with it so the off hand thumb I put on top of the other

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Much for the Help folks,
I do have the Hogue grip on it. Its a second gen LCP
I will look into the trigger idea. Thanks much for sharing that Idea.
And for sure not a range gun. Just going to shoot it every once in awhile
to help stay tuned into the sights ECT.
And will try a glove too..

Thanks

KK

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The Galloway trigger won't be much of an improvement over the Gen 2 LCP trigger, and it won't help with any kind of "finger slap" you're experiencing. It'll make the trigger travel a little shorter. I upgraded one of my Gen 1 LCP's with the Galloway kit, and I have an LCP Custom that came with the Galloway Kit from factory, I would not spend (read: "waste") the money putting a Galloway kit into a Gen 2 LCP, the benefit isn't great enough to justify cost. And again, it won't help with finger slap at all.

How/where was your trigger finger stinging? Was the trigger guard coming up and slapping your finger, or were your fingers just sore from the cold, causing discomfort in pressing the trigger?

If the trigger guard is slapping your trigger finger, then you're not properly following through with the shot. That's really common, especially in such a long trigger pull and such a small pistol.

·
Registered
552 Posts
GONRA sez my LCP CUSTOM has the nice light trigger pull and large notch sights Olde Men need.
Surprisingly, feeds / functions PERFECTLY with really blunt SP bullet .380 ACP handloads.

My specimen is completely "as Ruger intended" - except for a Galloway Precision take down / cam pin.
Ruger really "did it right" with this little guy!)

·
Registered
385 Posts
The Galloway trigger won't be much of an improvement over the Gen 2 LCP trigger, I would not spend (read: "waste") the money putting a Galloway kit into a Gen 2 LCP, the benefit isn't great enough to justify cost.
I don't agree with this at all.
My buddy has a completely stock gen 2 LCP and I have my Galloway gen 2 LCP and they are night and day to shoot. My gun shoots much better, the trigger is a lot better, the over all feel of the gun is much improved compared to the bone stock version.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

The Galloway trigger won't be much of an improvement over the Gen 2 LCP trigger, and it won't help with any kind of "finger slap" you're experiencing. It'll make the trigger travel a little shorter. I upgraded one of my Gen 1 LCP's with the Galloway kit, and I have an LCP Custom that came with the Galloway Kit from factory, I would not spend (read: "waste") the money putting a Galloway kit into a Gen 2 LCP, the benefit isn't great enough to justify cost. And again, it won't help with finger slap at all.

How/where was your trigger finger stinging? Was the trigger guard coming up and slapping your finger, or were your fingers just sore from the cold, causing discomfort in pressing the trigger?

If the trigger guard is slapping your trigger finger, then you're not properly following through with the shot. That's really common, especially in such a long trigger pull and such a small pistol.
Yes it was a tad cool out that evening. I believe I had a good grip on the gun. At 21' I was getting 2 inch groups and a couple times I nearly put a bullet through the same hole. I tried shooting it much like I do any of my Glocks. Just the pad of my finger on the trigger. Trying to pull back straight and smooth. It would bite/sting on every shot. I just purchased a new Sweet Pea III Trigger to test drive. The AD claims to cure the trigger bite issue. We'll see.......

·
Registered
485 Posts
For me, 2-3 mags at the range is plenty. Mine has the thick (pin attachment) Hogue grip added. Good padding coverage for the web of your hand, plus the thicker rubber to hold onto. It's not a thin rubber sleeve. Better control is helped when the mag has the (I call it the) pinky finger extension. My accuracy is good out to 30 feet. The holes fit into a 6" circle, using PMC Bronze 90 gr ammo. I shoot it at 10', 20' then 30'. Pretty good for a gut gun. Carry ammo is Hornady 90 gr FTX.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am not going the Hogue grip route for mine. It adds a little bulk and is a little too tacky for pocket carry. YMMV.

I did add a 12 pound Wolff recoil spring to mine. It helped tame the "snap" by a noticeable amount. There are a few reports about problems, but most seem to run without issue. Mine works quite well. A well spent $8. A painted front sight and I now have a really nice pocket gun.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have what I believe is the gen. 2 model that I purchased new in 2012. Upon purchase, I proof tested the piece for reliability by firing 200 rnds. of mixed el cheapo fmj and premium hollow points of several labels at the LGS indoor range. I ran up the extensive round count because I was a little skeptical of the inexpensive semi-auto. The LCP functioned perfectly and shot to P.O.A. at 7 yards. I found the recoil of the tiny round to not be much of an issue with a firm grip and easily ran up the round count.

As of today. I have put over 600 rounds of mixed quality through the LCP and have yet to experience a single malfunction. I don't consider it a ccw type gun but with it's long double action trigger for safety, it is a very dependable and safe backup-gun that can be carried any where on one's person.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts