Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first venture into re-loading for my LCP.

These will be for target only, I carry box SD loads.

I have some 100g Rainier Leadfree bullets that I will be using. Rainier says to use lead bullet data and I will look that data up as my base.

Right now I'm looking for others suggestions on the powder(s) that work best with the LCP. Also what OAL to use that feeds good.

Thank in advance.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
The Rainier lead free is an excellent plated bullet. I have used the 115 grain 9mm ones.

I have used CFE Pistol, Universal, Unique, Titegroup & HP38 with Berry's 100 grain RN flat base & hollow base plated, as well as Xtreme's 100 grain RNFP plated bullets.

It's very close as far as function & accuracy, all performing well, but a slight nod going to Titegroup. in the accuracy department, followed by HP38, then the slower powders.

When using Berry's hollow base bullet, I use 0.970" & with their flat base bullet I use 0.965" for a C.O.L. ( cartridge overall length)

Using Xtreme's flat point bullets, I use 0.960" C.O.L.

To throw another wrench in the works, for Hornady's 90 grain XTP HP (excellent) bullet, I use 0.955" C.O.L.

I have used these loads in the LCP, Taurus 738 TCP & our carry pistols, Sig P238's and they all functioned well.

Also 1 note, when our LCP was new a few years back, I changed to a heavier 11# recoil spring, due to having constant return to battery problems & the empty cases ejecting a LONG way away, no matter what factory ammo I tried. The problems immediately went away.

This is just my experience with it, but 1000's of other have done the same. This was the LCP about 2 years after it came out & I do not know if the newer models addressed this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I will load a few, probably in Universal, since I have that on the shelf. My other choices would be HS6, Bullseye, W231, Unique. I don't have any Titegroup right now but there is plenty on the shelves around here. I should use what I have on hand first.

I meant to note, I got the bullets cheap, couldn't beat the price! My original plan was to use 95g FMJ but cheap is good.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Thanks everyone, I will load a few, probably in Universal, since I have that on the shelf. My other choices would be HS6, Bullseye, W231, Unique. I don't have any Titegroup right now but there is plenty on the shelves around here. I should use what I have on hand first.

I meant to note, I got the bullets cheap, couldn't beat the price! My original plan was to use 95g FMJ but cheap is good.
Bullseye has a very similar burn rate to Titegroup. The W231 is the same as HP38, and it worked well for me. Good deal on the bullets.

I have done checks on the Ranier, Xtreme & Berry's, both with calipers & a scale & all the plated seem about the same to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts