Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have one of the 10th anniversary LCP's with the stainless slide and silver LCP Custom style trigger. Bought it brand new and the slide wouldn't retract all the way. Sent it in to ruger and they replaced the slide and barrel. Very reliable now however I noticed it was shooting about 1.5-2" left at 10 yards. Close enough for government work I guess but it still bugged me since it has fixed sights. Sent it in to ruger again and they insisted it shoots right on. Got it home and just today went out to the range again, used a solid rest supporting the pistol under the grip and forward of the trigger guard so there's no human error whatsoever... And it's still shooting left.
Not sure what I should do at this point, try and send it in again? Try and file on the sights until I get it closer? See if a gunsmith would cut a dovetail for an adjustable rear sight? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a LCP at 10 yards- or any small gun- shooting 3 inches off aim point in any direction is fine.

Next step- change your finger position on the trigger. Too little finger should push impact point to the left. Too much finger should pull impact to the right.
I have seen a diagram on that- I'll look for it.

View attachment 171523
Yeah I thought maybe it was me but even totally supported front and back it still shoots left. Still minute of center mass at SD distances but I'm a perfectionist and to be a couple inches off at only 10 yards bugs me

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I agree with @Higgy Baby regarding trigger finger placement. With such a short sight radius the smallest muscle flex will pull it left.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I agree with @Higgy Baby regarding trigger finger placement. With such a short sight radius the smallest muscle flex will pull it left.
I agree and that's why I bench rested it with front and rear supports, it was totally solid slowly breaking the trigger and it's 100% the gun. I used to have a Taurus tcp and could hit golf balls at 25 yards routinely, this gun isn't inaccurate but is most definitely shooting left

·
Registered
951 Posts
You need to buy another gun. Preferably one with adjustable sights. I have 2 LCP's and may get another or 2. I bought it for it's compact size. The sights are laughable and I still occasionally smile when I see how tiny the gun is. I slip it in a pocket holster and forget about it. My range time is popping it out and pointing at my target and if I hit it at 7yds and I can empty the mag, I don't know when the mag is empty unless I count or it clicks, I'm good.

Forget about finger placment and even grip. If I can grab it and not drop it and pull the trigger where it doesn't pinch my finger I'm happy. I have other guns for target practice where I try to make the holes touch but my LCP is definitely not one of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You need to buy another gun. Preferably one with adjustable sights. I have 2 LCP's and may get another or 2. I bought it for it's compact size. The sights are laughable and I still occasionally smile when I see how tiny the gun is. I slip it in a pocket holster and forget about it. My range time is popping it out and pointing at my target and if I hit it at 7yds and I can empty the mag, I don't know when the mag is empty unless I count or it clicks, I'm good.

Forget about finger placment and even grip. If I can grab it and not drop it and pull the trigger where it doesn't pinch my finger I'm happy. I have other guns for target practice where I try to make the holes touch but my LCP is definitely not one of them.
I like everything about this gun, it's noticeably smaller than the lcp 2, has the custom trigger which is pretty decent, stainless which is nice because I run with it and it gets sweaty. Just wish it shot right on. I'm thinking about calling my gunsmith and seeing what he'd charge to cut a dovetail so I could put a drift adjustable front or rear sight in it

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a few LCPs and have carried a Custom a lot. With all due respect, you are definitely a perfectionist. I, personally, would not spend money on making an LCP more accurate. Like others have said, almost all of my range time with these little things is point shooting at 5-10 yards. It’s never going to be a target pistol - no matter how much you have done to it. IMO, one appreciates it for what it is, a deep concealment, easy to carry, short distance, SD pistol. Mine have been extremely reliable and that’s the most important factor, to me, for carrying. If you can empty mags at rapid fire, hitting an 8” paper plate at 7 yds., it’s good for it’s intended purpose in my opinion. You have to be happy and confident with it. That’s what really matters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a few LCPs and have carried a Custom a lot. With all due respect, you are definitely a perfectionist. I, personally, would not spend money on making an LCP more accurate. Like others have said, almost all of my range time with these little things is point shooting at 5-10 yards. It’s never going to be a target pistol - no matter how much you have done to it. IMO, one appreciates it for what it is, a deep concealment, easy to carry, short distance, SD pistol. Mine have been extremely reliable and that’s the most important factor, to me, for carrying. If you can empty mags at rapid fire, hitting an 8” paper plate at 7 yds., it’s good for it’s intended purpose in my opinion. You have to be happy and confident with it. That’s what really matters.
You're right, it's definitely good enough to get the job done. 2" at 10 yards would be 10" at 50 yards which would completely miss a man sized target, not that I'd probably ever need to take that kind of shot with a mouse gun but I do play around at those ranges in practice and I just find it annoying that ruger can't make this gun to shoot right on when my crappy Taurus and my J frame all shot dead on.
I did the math and if it's correct the front or rear sight would only need to be moved .022 of an inch to get it right on (less than the thickness of a credit card)...I'm considering doing it with a file

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Before you file, try some different ammo. You would think that different bullet weights would change the elevation, but I have also had the windage change from a different bullet weight.
Good point, yeah I'll definitely try different ammo first...I've tried 2 or 3 different brands so far with the same result but they've all been fmj...ill have to try my xtp carry loads maybe they'll shoot right on 😂

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
before modifying, have someone else shoot it and see if they confirm that the sights are off.
Ihe LCP is small and has a long, heavy trigger that can be difficult to shoot. Normal grip and finger placement sometimes doesn't work.
It's a simple test to confirm one way or the other.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Yeah I thought maybe it was me but even totally supported front and back it still shoots left. Still minute of center mass at SD distances but I'm a perfectionist and to be a couple inches off at only 10 yards bugs me
Were you still holding it, even on bags, or were you using a Ransom Rest?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
it's noticeably smaller than the lcp 2, has the custom trigger which is pretty decent, stainless which is nice because I run with it and it gets sweaty. Just wish it shot right on.
Still the LCP is a pocket gun up close and not intended for target shooting. Sure, try different ammo but practice closer. Maybe practice some point shooting and forget the tiny fixed rear. You might like the results. Good luck Longranger1!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Bags, I don't have a ransom rest
Perhaps you have hands that can grip like a vise, but most of us don't. The amount you are off (1-1.5" at 10 yards) is easily within any margin of error for a very small pistol like the LCP being hand held.. You may think you're holding it steady but I bet with high speed photography that tiny pistol is moving.

If you are really that concerned, find a Ransom rest or a big vise and lock it in. Yup you may be able to hold a larger gun steady on bags, but the LCP is a "beast of a different sort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perhaps you have hands that can grip like a vise, but most of us don't. The amount you are off (1-1.5" at 10 yards) is easily within any margin of error for a very small pistol like the LCP being hand held.. You may think you're holding it steady but I bet with high speed photography that tiny pistol is moving.

If you are really that concerned, find a Ransom rest or a big vise and lock it in. Yup you may be able to hold a larger gun steady on bags, but the LCP is a "beast of a different sort.
Alright, I guess I'm gonna have to put it in a vise and shoot it that way :ROFLMAO:
I'll report back with the results

1 - 20 of 26 Posts