Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have people done or what is popular options to make the sights on the LCP more usable?

I have heard of painting them, I have seen stick on dots.........are they are great options out there?

Any pictures of what you have done to yours?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
I painted mine and it wore off quickly and did no add much. I always use a laser on the LCP and it adds a lot with the small sights and short sight radius.

This fellow modified his sights and it looks like a better solution than just painting them

http://youtu.be/T7P9OiQ6sr8

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just traded mine in on the LCP Custom that comes with drift adjustable rear and single dot photoluminescent painted front sights. Both are elevated/higher than the standard model.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I consider the LCP, and similar small pistols, a point and shoot pistol. I have practiced with it at 25 feet and closer and do fine with it as is. In a defensive situation, the sights on a small pistol like the LCP will most likely not be used, at least not by me.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I consider the LCP, and similar small pistols, a point and shoot pistol. I have practiced with it at 25 feet and closer and do fine with it as is. In a defensive situation, the sights on a small pistol like the LCP will most likely not be used, at least not by me.
+1 At the distance I expect to use the LCP, I don't expect to have the time nor the inclination to worry about the sights.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
+1

At the time the LCP came out I was working in a LGS. Some came back in short order because the owners bought them because they were 1) cheap 2) thinking they would be used as a range gun.

Well the range gun part just doesn't work out. LCPs are built for social work, first and foremost.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I painted mine and it wore off quickly and did no add much. I always use a laser on the LCP and it adds a lot with the small sights and short sight radius.

This fellow modified his sights and it looks like a better solution than just painting them

http://youtu.be/T7P9OiQ6sr8
That's a good idea.....I like the drilling idea to keep the paint from wearing off.
I would do the one in front and two in the rear..........keep it "normal".

Steve

·
Registered
324 Posts
I cleaned the front sight with rubbing alcohol, let it dry then painted it white with a paint pen bought at a local hobby shop. That was over a year ago and it has not worn off yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree that point shooting, especially in the daytime, is better than trying to use the sights. White dot painting for dim light is probably a good idea. I did this. However, from dim light to almost dark I think a laser is also a very good idea. I added a Laserlyte to my LCP.

I do suggest, if you use a laser, to sight it in with a laser bore sight before you take it to the range. I used a Sightmark .380 bore sight to do this.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had the Lasermaxx on it for a couple of years, but during the day it's hard to see it. The sights would be nice to use during the day, but at close range it really is point and shoot.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I cleaned the front sight with rubbing alcohol, let it dry then painted it white with a paint pen bought at a local hobby shop. That was over a year ago and it has not worn off yet.
Same here. I cleaned with alcohol. After dry, one coat of white acrylic model paint. After dry, one (or two) coats of fluorescent red (I may try orange next time). Very much improved for my older eyes. Keep cleaning solvents away from it and it lasts a long, long time. Mess it up? Do it over. Cheap and easy. I have done this on half a dozen guns. It works well for me.

BTW, I only do the front sight. The color contrast is what helps me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lcp 380 sights

I have every upgrade on my lcp 380 including Sweet Pea Trigger, 13lb recoil spring, stainless steel guide rod, Hogue Handall Grip, Crimson Trace Laser, polished barrel, stainless takedown pin and other pins are stainless- even tho I have the laser the sights where driving me nuts cause they are useless- I read a lot about stick on dots, painting etc.. what I did was tape off the sights and buffed the bluing off with my dermel with polishing disk and Mothers Mag & Wheel polish it came out fantastic - really complemented the gun with the upgrades I did - I use only EEZOX ON MY GUNS-- it prevents any rust, corrosion etc... I do a thin layer every few months - ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES AT ALL-- AND IT LOOKS MUCH BETTER THEN STICKERS AND PAINTS- the whole process took me about 15-20 mins or so--
THANKS FOR READING MY POST

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would like to add a Crimson Trace laser to mine in the future. I can pick up the sights, and hit my target at 7 yards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I cleaned my front sight with rubbing alcohol then put a dab of white out on it followed by a coat of obnoxious orange nail polish in dayglo orange. You can almost see it in the dark.

·
Registered
42 Posts
These are basically point and shoot belly guns. I doubt I would even use the sights were I forced to use this pistol. Most gunfights are about 7 yards, and occur in seconds. That is what our yearly qualification is like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts