Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned two LCP's. The first for about one year until I lost interest in the .380 caliber and got rid of it. And my second is one I just bought recently when I realized I really couldn't live without an ultra-small highly-concealable pistol for those occasions when I can't dress around my bigger guns.

My LCPs have never let me down. Both have fed, fired and repeated every single time. For that, I love the LCP.

But it has annoyances. Namely the small sights, quirky trigger reset (it clicks twice - once false-click during mid return and one real one at the end; and if I spend time riding the reset on my other guns, the first false click throws me off badly), no last round hold open and a weird DA only system that isn't truly double action.

Comparing it against the Bodyguard .380 (true DA, adjustable/changeable sights, last round hold open), the new Pico (lighter, slimmer, good 3 dot sights, last round hold open), the Taurus TCP (better trigger, last round hold open) or the very solid Kahr CW380 (better trigger, better 3 dot sights, and last round hold open), all those pistols have features the LCP doesn't. And all are similarly priced to boot. Part of me is tempted to ditch the LCP once again, this time for a "better" pocket pistol.

Or are they really better? Is there a reason why the weird yet long-lived LCP is still drawing eager customers when a lot of the other .380 mouse guns out there have it beat feature-wise? Is it the LCP's reliability that has everyone still remain loyal and if so, how much more reliable is it, truly?

Just wondering if anyone owns a LCP and one of the others and how do you think the LCP stacks up against them?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have an LCP & after a couple minor changes, it's a good pistol.

The Sig P238 (we have 2) is a great pistol!

You do have to be willing to carry cocked & locked as it's a S/A.

My wife & I have for 2 years now & it's all been positive.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I had a Gen 1 LCP and sold it because I hated the trigger, hated the lack of sights, and it recoiled like a firecracker.

I got a Kahr P380. I had a year of headaches and swore off Kahr. They finally replaced the gun. My new P380 is much better, but is pickier on ammo than I'd prefer.

I handled a PICO and couldn't wait to put it back down. Well, that's an exaggeration... I actually enjoyed a few laughs while handling it and trading observations with the guy at the LGS.

I wouldn't mind trying out the Bodyguard, but for now I'm sticking with my P380. It seems that most of these pocket guns suffer from either a lack of features or a lack of build quality/engineering.

·
Righteous Dude
21,698 Posts
I had a LCP. No real complaints. It feels snappy when fired and the trigger could be a little better. I went to S&W Bodyguard and Sig P238. Both are solid pistols. The Bodyguard has a long trigger pull, but I like it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another LCP... PSA has the FDE version for $200! I am very tempted.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an LCP & after a couple minor changes, it's a good pistol.

The Sig P238 (we have 2) is a great pistol!

You do have to be willing to carry cocked & locked as it's a S/A.

My wife & I have for 2 years now & it's all been positive.

I somewhat intentionally left out Sig due to the price difference, the 238 and 938 being bigger and heavier, and that it's SA/cocked and locked compared to the others. But I actually own a P938 that shares carry time with my RO compact 1911 and I agree it's solid and darn accurate. But it's a bit porky and quite a bit more to own one so I left it out.

My LCP is a fifth wheel but it's so stinkin light and hideable that I find myself stuck with the LCP more than the 938 and that irritates me to no end LOL. Which leads me to this thread. I'm trying to find a better mouse trap... I mean mouse gun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I own both a Gen 1 LCP and the Bodyguard! Without a doubt I would go with the LCP any day and that is due to the reliability of it. Both pistols purchased the same time; Bodyguard had some issues at first, the LCP has never had a failure!

·
Premium Member
15,400 Posts
Held the LCP, Sig 238, Kimber Micro and a couple others. Kept coming back to the Kimber and it wound up in the safe and carry rotation on hot days where the only option is the pocket.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My son is a LEO and carries a LCP with laser for backup gun. He had to qualify with it in order to carry it on duty. He said other than having to purchase the ammo himself for qualifying, 380 not standard for his dept, and the fact that by the time he had fired the number of rounds needed to qualify his hand was very "tender" he loves it.
I carry a different animal when small is the requirement. I should up grade I guess but I am attached to my P-32 Keltec. I personally like the fact that a safety is available on the Ruger line.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I was looking for a .380, I looked at the above selection.
Did not include the Sig due to cost and the SA only.
What I finally bought was a Taurus tcp .380.
This pistol has never had a failure of any kind, with any ammo.
Have about 600 rounds through it and have used both FMJ and JHP.
Even works with the flat nosed WWB.
The last shot hold open is a plus.
Very happy with it.
I did add a Houge grip and Pierce mag extensions.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I have LCP's in Gen 1, 2, and Pro, plus a Gen 1 Galloway conversion. I also have a pair of P238's, a Bodyguard 380, an old Kel-Tec P3AT, and a Kahr CW380. I carry my non-converted Gen 1 LCP the most, and find the Gen 2 LCP's to be my favored of the bunch.

I hate the tall, narrow sights on the LCP Pro. They could have done a much better job designing a low-drag, pocket-carry-friendly set of sights for it. It's really just a galloway style trigger, and I don't find it significantly improved over the Gen 2 - then again, I never really had a problem with the LCP Gen 1 trigger. The Gen 2 is the belle of the LCP ball. Nothing against Kahr pistols, but it has my least favorite of the triggers (not the worst, just feels off to me), and the Bodyguard is the ugliest. I don't carry my 238's very often (my wife carries hers a lot), simply because I don't believe a carry piece should have a manual safety to trip over between "oh $hit" and "bang".

I do, however, lust after the Glock G42. Maybe I'll pick one up this summer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
IMO, pocket .380's are just tools. I compromise comfort for ease of concealment. I absolutely hate shooting more than 50 rounds from a pocket .380 while practicing at the range. I think everyone who holds a CCP/CCL needs to own one. The key is to find one that you can live with.

I used to own a LCP. Never liked the trigger or the minimalist sights. I had it before IL passed CCL. I sold it off. Fast forward to last year, I needed a pocket .380. I settled on a Kahr CW380. It fit me best.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The only .380acp pistol I've ever owned is my Sig p232, which I do love (recently bought a new high noon holster for it). I've shot a lcp and several other "mouse" .380s but have never desired to own one. My P232 has been flawless for years now, and I'm comfortable with its defensive potential with 102gr Remington JHP.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The only .380acp pistol I've ever owned is my Sig p232, which I do love (recently bought a new high noon holster for it). I've shot a lcp and several other "mouse" .380s but have never desired to own one. My P232 has been flawless for years now, and I'm comfortable with its defensive potential with 102gr Remington JHP.
Do you carry it "cocked & locked" in your front pants pocket? :eek:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I carry a different animal when small is the requirement. I should up grade I guess but I am attached to my P-32 Keltec.
I have toyed with picking up a little P32. Talk about small and light!

My current pocket 380 is a Kahr CW380. So far it has been reliable. Kahr still seems to have problems with being consistent. One issue that has me a bit concerned is with the striker breaking. I assume that it is still a small percentage of guns with the issue; but the number of threads on the Kahr forum are growing. With feed issues, one can prepare or fix the problem before carrying. A snapped striker at the wrong time would not be good.

I wish that I hadn't delayed grabbing the PSA deal on the FDE LCP. $200 for a new, Gen 2 LCP should have been a no brainer. I'm trying to keep a better eye out now for crazy deals. I'll likely hold on to my Kahr, but adding an LCP seems like a good idea with the hot summer approaching.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Do you carry it "cocked & locked" in your front pants pocket? :eek:
SIG P232 is a DA/SA pistol with decocker. I carry it in a belt holster, or a pocket holster with a round chambered and hammer down.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The PSA deal is back for an FDE LCP @ $200 including free S&H! I have one, a Bersa Thunder and a Glock 42.

The sexiest is the Bersa. The easiest to CCW is the LCP. The most competent is the Glock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts