Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The PSA deal is back for an FDE LCP @ $200 including free S&H! I have one, a Bersa Thunder and a Glock 42.

The sexiest is the Bersa. The easiest to CCW is the LCP. The most competent is the Glock.
What does "competency" have to do with a compact pistol? Your individual shooter competency with your G42 has no bearing on anyone else. If you're talking about the pistol's competency, then I have to admit, I have no idea what that could mean.

The PPK/S styled Thunder is definitely the sexiest out of that bunch, but it's closer in size to an LC9 or Glock 19 than the 42 or LCP. I have a PPK/S (S&W, not a real one), my sis carries a Bersa Thunder Carry model (bobbed and beveled), and HER mom-in-law carried a standard Thunder until her P938. Great pistols, and definitely more shooter friendly than the pocket pistols - but it's also a lot heavier and a lot bigger.

Has anyone called PSA to find out if these are all Gen 1's on sale?

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
My PPK (original) is heavy and thick, but it's the best shooter of the bunch. It will definitely fit in a pocket, but it's not the print-proof pistol that a lot of the other .380's are.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
well,

Does the new custom model address the weird two click reset issue?
It seems that with 2 exceptions everyone has avoided mentioning the Glock . I am a dyed in the wool Ruger user. I shot my son in laws lcp numerous times (one or 2 clips at a time) and with my age and arthritis, I knew I could not practise with it enough to become competent. Then there was one on sale in the library at my local cabelas. it "had issues" and they gave the previous owner a different pistol. It was too good a deal to pass up (price was great) , but I had to send it it in to glock for repairs. They fixed it and returned it (postage labor and parts free) in 10 days. I now have over 500 trouble free rounds through it now. Big deal here is that I can shoot it virtually as much as I want with no arthritis issues. It has a nice trigger and long sight picture. I have a desantis nemesis and ithas almost no print in any of my pants. See if you can find a range where you can rent it and give it a try.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
It seems that with 2 exceptions everyone has avoided mentioning the Glock . I am a dyed in the wool Ruger user. I shot my son in laws lcp numerous times (one or 2 clips at a time) and with my age and arthritis, I knew I could not practise with it enough to become competent. Then there was one on sale in the library at my local cabelas. it "had issues" and they gave the previous owner a different pistol. It was too good a deal to pass up (price was great) , but I had to send it it in to glock for repairs. They fixed it and returned it (postage labor and parts free) in 10 days. I now have over 500 trouble free rounds through it now. Big deal here is that I can shoot it virtually as much as I want with no arthritis issues. It has a nice trigger and long sight picture. I have a desantis nemesis and ithas almost no print in any of my pants. See if you can find a range where you can rent it and give it a try.
I have an LCP and have run more than 1200 rounds thru it. It is uncomfortable to shoot.

A friend bought the G42 and I was able to shoot it. It's the first Glock (and I've shot a bunch of them) that actually fit me. It shot well but it's size is big enough that is doesn't conceal as well as the LCP. The main plus is that it doesn't hurt to shoot it.

I did get a call from the guy the other day. Last time he went to the range, he had issues with the G42 so it is on its way back to the factory.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I might have bought an LCP but more than one person behind the counter said they owned one and hated to shoot it.
I have an old AMT Backup 380 that shoots very accurate but is also very heavy.
I have an old Beretta 1934 that shoots good but my wife doesn't like the recoil.
I finally bought a Glock 42 for her. It is very manageable. One of my 6 year old grandsons shot it several times. I have a picture of the him during the recoil which makes me smile every time I see it.

Side note: The only time this G42 had a problem was with shooting light target loads. It failed to cycle. I compared the 42 to my only other Glock, a Gen 3 19. I noticed the finish of some metal parts was not even comparable. I polished four spots and after that it shot the light loads just fine.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What does "competency" have to do with a compact pistol? Your individual shooter competency with your G42 has no bearing on anyone else. If you're talking about the pistol's competency, then I have to admit, I have no idea what that could mean.

The PPK/S styled Thunder is definitely the sexiest out of that bunch, but it's closer in size to an LC9 or Glock 19 than the 42 or LCP. I have a PPK/S (S&W, not a real one), my sis carries a Bersa Thunder Carry model (bobbed and beveled), and HER mom-in-law carried a standard Thunder until her P938. Great pistols, and definitely more shooter friendly than the pocket pistols - but it's also a lot heavier and a lot bigger.

Has anyone called PSA to find out if these are all Gen 1's on sale?
Easiest to take down, second lightest, least recoil and most accurate. I own other pistols, but these are the only .380s owned. Hopefully you comprehend. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did own a Glock 42 before. It's the best shooting .380 I had ever owned but I don't consider it to be in the same weight and size class as the LCP, TCP, bodyguard, Pico or CW380. It's almost too big to convincingly pocket carry - almost Bersa Thunder size.

It qualifies more as a IWB gun but once one gets to the IWB mode of carry, other larger and higher cap guns fit the bill better.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have an older Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380. Never an issue with it except for the very first time I field stripped it. LOL Too long a story to tell here. It shoots boringly reliable and right on target. All kinds of ammo through it and never a hiccup. Pocket carry or OWB carry no problems with any printing. I love Rugers but that little old Colt has my heart. I did look seriously at a Ruger .380 about a year ago but we never bonded for whatever reason.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've posted this in several LCP threads so here we go again on "painful to shoot", "no fun at the range", "too snappy" etc. etc.

Install Hogue handall.
Get the Ruger 7 round magazine (more to hold onto).
Install a 13# recoil spring and SS rod.

My LCP, with above enhancements, is a pleasure to shoot. Much, much nicer than my LCR w/mild 38 loads. Oh, paint the front sight white too. Simple mods and still cheaper than a G42. (FTR I own 2 Glocks (9mm) and love them both, the G42 is too big for a .380 IMHO)

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have an LCP & after a couple minor changes, it's a good pistol.

The Sig P238 (we have 2) is a great pistol!

You do have to be willing to carry cocked & locked as it's a S/A.

My wife & I have for 2 years now & it's all been positive.

The LCP is good and I like it better than the Bodyguard. Its a better CC weapon than the Walther PK380, and as good as the Bersa Thunder; however, the Sig P238, it is the best ladies CC 380acp pistol on the market, bar none.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a Gen1 LCP and it goes with me more than any of my other carry guns.. My dad and my wife both carry a Sig P238, awesome guns I just prefer the lighter easier to conceal LCP.. I also considered the S&W Bodyguard but felt the trigger was way longer and heavier than the Ruger..

The sights never played into the equation as I consider my LCP a "point and shoot" defense gun, and that is how I train with it.. I rarely shoot more than 2 or 3 magazines at the range and it is done with 2 shot bursts at a "body" target.. I'm not looking for tight groups, just hits in center mass..

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
When the first generation LCP came out, I compared it to some other 380s available at the time. As good as it was, I was drawn to the Kahr P380 (CW380 wasn't available until recently). I followed the recommended break-in procedure and have had no issues with it. It shoots anything that I feed it. I added a Crimson Trace laser although the iron sights are good. I carry this gun more than any other that I own.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a .380 NAA Guardian, that sees a lot of 'pocket time' in a Galco rig. All steel, and breeze to shot.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
When the first generation LCP came out, I compared it to some other 380s available at the time. As good as it was, I was drawn to the Kahr P380 (CW380 wasn't available until recently). I followed the recommended break-in procedure and have had no issues with it. It shoots anything that I feed it. I added a Crimson Trace laser although the iron sights are good. I carry this gun more than any other that I own.
Awe, we're twinsies. :D

:cool:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Another .380 to consider is the Kahr CT380.

Caliber: .380 ACP
Capacity: 7+1
Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
Barrel: 3.0", Conventional Rifling, 1 - 16 right-hand twist
Length O/A: 5.52"
Height: 4.4"
Slide Width: .75"
Weight: Pistol 11.44 ounces (w/o magazine)
Grips: Textured polymer
Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide
Magazine: 1 - 7 rd, Stainless

This is a smooth shooter and easy to handle. I've put 50 rds. through mine so far and its pretty good. Had a couple of fte and ftl but that doesn't concern me yet. Kahr calls for a 200 rd. breakin period so I'll wait and see what happens after that. Also it conceals well for me in the pocket or waistband.
Caught a special deal of $269.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Another .380 to consider is the Kahr CT380.

Caliber: .380 ACP

Capacity: 7+1

Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect

Barrel: 3.0", Conventional Rifling, 1 - 16 right-hand twist

Length O/A: 5.52"

Height: 4.4"

Slide Width: .75"

Weight: Pistol 11.44 ounces (w/o magazine)

Grips: Textured polymer

Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight

Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide

Magazine: 1 - 7 rd, Stainless

This is a smooth shooter and easy to handle. I've put 50 rds. through mine so far and its pretty good. Had a couple of fte and ftl but that doesn't concern me yet. Kahr calls for a 200 rd. breakin period so I'll wait and see what happens after that. Also it conceals well for me in the pocket or waistband.

Caught a special deal of $269.

View attachment 17568

Love the gun but it's in a separate size class from the group we're talking about here. The CT380 isn't what I'd call a pocket pistol!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts