Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the LCP for a pocket carry pistol. My question is about using a laser with the LCP. I have one on my LC9S and I like it very much. Is it a useful addition to the LCP ? The little gun is for close encounters probably less than 20 feet. Hopefully I would be able to hit the target at that range without the use of a laser. I'd love to hear from those of you that use and shoot the LCP with and without a laser. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
444 Posts
What you're saying is true. When I bought my LCP, it didn't seem that much more for the model with the laser, so I got it. Probably not really necessary, but kind of cool. I also have a Crimson Trace red laser sight on my SR1911. It's my nightstand gun and I feel like it could help at night If I hear glass breaking. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I also see a laser as a possible deterrent to the bad guys........maybe if they see a laser being pointed at them, they'll stop and think about what they are doing and maybe you won't have to kill them.

But I do have the Lasermaxx on my LCP, and the Crimson Trace on my SR9C.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It boils down to a personal preference issue. No more additional cost than a laser is, why not? I have an LCP [seldom used] and it has the LaserMax on it. Doesn't really add any weight or bulk and could come in real handy. It's there if I need it and doesn't bother a thing if I don't.

But hey ... I carry a spare tire too ... and I keep it aired up.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have Crimson Trace lasers on all my carry guns...LCP, Springfield XDs 9mm, S&W 637 and SP101 DAO. I also had CT lasers on the LCR .38 and LC9 I sold to friends.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
I like to practice using point and shoot with my LCP. No laser needed.
I'd just as soon spend that extra money on practice ammo. Plus, I'd hate to be used to using a laser, then the one time I needed it, is the time it didn't work.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I would rather practice point shooting. My eyes had to start failing before I accepted scopes on my hunting rifles. If my point shooting is up to par I should able to get a couple shots in the bad guy under any circumstance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a crimson trace on my Lcp and like it. It really tightens groups at the range but for defensive purposes I practice point shooting with my carry guns so the lazer is just a novelty in my opinion but nice to have.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I got the Crimson Trace laser on my second generation LCP based upon the dismal sights I was familiar with from using my friend's Gen 1. However, I was and am very pleased with my iron sights on the Gen 2; however, I still don't regret getting the laser and find the laser gets me on target a few nanoseconds faster then searching for the iron sights.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,044 Posts
My wife has the crimson trace on her LCP, she really likes it. Its very accurate, and gives an extra tool to help her hit her target. I feel its not a bad investment. It has never failed after I adjusted the spring holding the battery in for a tighter connection. I myself have a lcp, do not have a laser on it since i practice point shooting, so its not necessary for me. Plus I bought hers for half price from a friend. I also added the slip over hogue grip on both, it will work with the crimson trace laser or a non lasered lcp, worth every penny, as well as the extra power wolff recoil springs, 14 lb makes it less snappy, and I used the tandemkross antiwalk takedown pin. All great upgrades that make it more useful, and accurate.;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. I found an LCP with the LaserMax laser for $279 so I decided to order it. It should be here Thursday. If I don't find the laser useful on the pocket pistol I can always remove it. For that price it seemed like a no brainer. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I found an LCP with the LaserMax laser for $279 so I decided to order it. It should be here Thursday. If I don't find the laser useful on the pocket pistol I can always remove it. For that price it seemed like a no brainer. Thanks, Jim
That is a good price, even without the laser.

·
Banned
650 Posts
If you can get out the door for under $300 for any LCP it is a good deal. I managed to get my wife's LCP pro and my second generation at a good price. A guy that runs a kitchen table FFL told me that Ruger runs a lot of buy so many LCP pistols and you get a free one. Dealers get as many free LCP pistols as they can and make a deal on a certain number of the pistols to have the required amount of cash on hand.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I wanted to update this thread today. I decided to order the LCP with the LaserMax laser from CDNN Sports. I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived today. Great service and fast shipping. I also ordered a 7 round mag, a pocket holster and a Hogue Handall grip. I figured for that price if I don't like the laser I can always remove it. But I think I'll really like it. Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend for some fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can point shoot at the range just fine, which is necessary on my little LCP. However, years ago in an after-dark confrontation with a guy who wanted my wallet and watch, my hands were vibrating so hard holding my Bodyguard .380 that when the guy wanting my stuff saw the laser bouncing all over him hollered as he ran away "Don't Shoot!! Don't Shoot!". I have the CT laser on my pistol and really like the "it comes on when you grip the pistol" feature.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can point shoot at the range just fine, which is necessary on my little LCP. However, years ago in an after-dark confrontation with a guy who wanted my wallet and watch, my hands were vibrating so hard holding my Bodyguard .380 that when the guy wanting my stuff saw the laser bouncing all over him hollered as he ran away "Don't Shoot!! Don't Shoot!". I have the CT laser on my pistol and really like the "it comes on when you grip the pistol" feature.
Very interesting and good to know. Hopefully that will be the reaction of the bad guy if I ever need to pull my pistol in a defensive situation. I don't want to shoot anybody but I wouldn't hesitate to protect myself or my family if the need arises.

·
Registered
136 Posts
One good thing to do with a laser is practice your point shooting while doing dry fire drills. Draw and point at your target (i get a shirt on a hanger and use that) then hit the laser switch to see where you are pointing. I train 90% of the time without the laser (in actual live fire) but I do like having one on my carry gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts