Ruger Forum banner

If you own a Ruger LCPii in 22LR, has yours run without problems?

• Mine was and is a "jammomatic" even after it has been back to Ruger.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine was and is a "jammomatic" even after being back more than once.

• Ruger refunded the purchase price after I sent receipts to them and they kept the gun.

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are a lot of reviews with this gun that runs without issue and feeds everything. I had a MKii that did that and later I had a 2nd MKii that was a jammomatic so I know both exist in the same model. Since many of you haven't had issues I'd like you to take the poll so we can see the percentage of "duds" to see if it's like the "Bucket O' Bullets" of the 1990s which were full of duds. You can change your poll answer if your status changes like you sent it back and it now shoots well.

I'd like to start a thread with just the problems people are facing with their LCPii in 22LR. Please don't post how yours runs great, just put that in the poll BUT if you are having problems list them in the thread.
This isn't a review thread, an opinion column, or what you think can fix it, this is just the facts of issues people like me are having. State the ammo and the problems only.

First time out with the new gun using CCI-Blazer 40gr 1235fps, Federal 36gr 1260fps bulk pack, CCI Minimag 36gr 1260fps, CCI Velocitor 40gr, 1435fps, and Remington Golden Bullets. The following problems were not ammo specific using 3 OEM magazines shooting about 200 rounds through it. The gun was cleaned and lubed before shooting.
  1. Failure to go into battery (once every 3-4 mags usually when there are 3-5 rounds still left in the mag).
  2. Failure to feed a new round, like it’s not cycling far enough back to grab the next round, however, I am not using weak ammo (it even did this with a velocitor round). Other times it strips the new round but the bullet is too high and just slams into the barrel face above the chamber (once every 1-2 mags). This is not limp wristed.
  3. Failure to lock back on an empty mag (every 3-4 mags, even with velocitor rounds).
  4. Slide locks back with rounds still in the magazine.
  5. Failure to eject (sometimes the empty case stays straight ahead stuck to the bolt face (like there is no ejector present to throw the round out) and other times it stovepipes, about twice per mag). See notes when hand cycling below as these are probably related.
  6. If you hand cycle the slide with ammo, typically the rounds do not eject with any mag. They do not appear to even come into contact with the ejector. Sometimes the rim of the extracting round hits the feed lips on the mag making it impossible to completely pull the slide back so you have to drop the mag to get the round out. Sometimes the round stays stuck on the bolt face and will not eject (again like it’s not hitting the ejector). Sometimes the upwards pressure of the incoming round still in the magazine pinches the extracting round into the barrel and the extractor loses it’s grip on the rim. This makes it seem like there are 3 separate issues here: an extractor issue, an ejector issue, and a magazine issue.
  7. There appears to be a burr on the entire barrel crown like the tooling was getting dull and needed sharpened.
The gun made it's way back to Ruger and they replaced the slide, barrel, and slide stop (the slide is a different one and the barrel is too so I have no reason to doubt them). They shot 30 rounds (Aguila brass & Minmags) thru it without malfunction ("without malfunction" I find very hard to believe).

Using CCI Minimag 36gr, CCI Velocitor 40gr, and Federal Champion 36gr (in 3 different magazines) I got the following when I tested gun:
1. The 1st mag contained the Minimags as that was one of the rounds Ruger tested in this gun without malfunction. The first round just went "click" and failed to fire (light strike issue).
2. When pulling the slide back quickly to clear the gun and load the next round, the unspent round would not eject so it got a double-feed when the unspent round hit the top of the barrel (same issue I had with the original slide/barrel).
3. 3 rounds later it failed to load and was stuck out of battery (same problem with the first barrel). As before I had to nudge the slide to get it into battery.
4.The 2nd mag had Velocitors in it and round #6 failed to fire (light strike issue).
5. When trying to clear, the rim of the unspent round caught on the mag feed lips so I couldn't pull the slide back all the way until I dropped the mag (same problem I had before).
6. The 3rd mag had Federal Champions in it and round #5 failed to fire (light strike issue).
7. It too double-fed when I tried to clear it because it wouldn't eject.

7 problems in 3 mags from a just returned gun. I'm not in R&D so I'm not going to keep blasting ammo in a bad gun.

The light strike issue is new with the slide/barrel replacement which seems odd (unless the firing pin is tight in the pocket in the slide). The failures to eject and failures to load are recurring issues.

Hand cycling gives me the same problems as before I sent it back last time, rounds often won't eject so anytime I get a failure to fire it double feeds when I try to clear it because the unspent round won’t get thrown out no matter how fast and hard I rack the slide. Aslo just as in incident #5 where you can't pull the slide all the way back because the rim of the CCI round hits the feed lips (does this with either Minimags or Velocitors), this too can be easily duplicated by hand cycling.

I can't get thru a magazine without issues so I called Ruger on Monday to have it go back again which they agreed to.

I would like to keep a log of the issues people are having.

Edit: I am glad to see several have had good running guns in the poll. I saw Lucky Gunner recently did a review on this gun and got a dud so Ruger replaced it and the replacement for them was a dud too. James West on Youtube has a lot of the same issues I'm seeing as well. It seems this model is a "luck of the draw" model, much like the Mkii series: you either get a really good one, or a very bad one.
Thanks,
Bearhawk

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,736 Posts
A good way to track issues and resolve problems here. Get feedback from actual shooters. Should be interesting and informative hearing from shooters that have actually tested them not the "internet experts". To date ours have run without issue and I have read others have some problems. Ammo run through ours so far below and we continue to put them through testing and incorporating them into training sessions. Good luck with your LCPII22LR and I hope ours continue to perform. Only just over 500 rounds so time will tell.
*So far tested with x5 Ruger magazines with x2 more on the way.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP

Reactions: mark40

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’ve written this in other threads but here goes. Fresh out of the box I had many of the same issues. Jams, fail to eject, slide staying back when still had rounds in mag.
After I made sure all rounds were properly seated in the mag(s) I have three, use more grip pressure, most if not all issues were resolved. Last time out put over two hundred rounds through it and not one issue to report.
Very pleased with the gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A quick followup, mine returned from ruger the 2nd time. Ruger replaced my 3 mags this time. I hand cycled minimags. First round the extractor let go of the round leaving it dangling in the chamber, jammed upwards from the 2nd round in the mag pinching it upwards. 2nd round the ejector would not eject the round so it double fed, which is what it does when it "light strikes" and you go to clear the gun. This doesn't give me any warm fuzzies. It kept doing this every subsequent round. I did ask both times it's been back that they hand cycle the gun as it duplicates some of the problems I'm having, but it appears Kathy didn't do that either time.

I'll shoot it tomorrow on camera and if it acts up at all, you'll see it on YouTube. This is my third dud from ruger and will be the last product I buy. The last 3 out of 5 rugers I have bought have been bad from the factory over a 29 year period. Yes, I'm a bit frustrated.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have a crapload of Federal AutoMatch and CCI Mini Mags, so the only other ammo I've used in my LCP so far is Aguila Interceptors. I have 600 rounds through it with the following results:

150 Federal AutoMatch - Too many failures to count, almost all FTEs where the empty case remains in the chamber. My SR22 and SIG P938-22 also choked hard on this ammo in exactly the same way, so I blame the ammo, not the gun. This stuff only works for me in revolvers.

300 CCI Mini Mag 40 CPRN - 5 failure to fire/light strikes

100 CCI Mini Mag 36 JHP - 1 failure to feed

50 Aguila Interceptors - 0 failures

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I put a few hundred rounds through the gun today. Remember, this gun has been to Ruger twice already. The slide, barrel, and slide stop have been replaced (first trip back home) and my 3 magazines have been replaced (on the 2nd trip home). Is the gun better?

Before I couldn't make it through a single mag without a problem or three, now I can't make it through 3 mags without some sort of problem. Is it better? Yes. Is it reliable? Absolutely not!

What problems am I still having? I'm still getting failures to feed, failures to extract, failures to eject, and light strikes. I did get some video footage so I'll put a link in here to Youtube showing the problems.

BH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
242 Posts
I‘m no expert, but after reviewing your video I have the following observations - not criticism.

1) Do you always shoot with a spare magazine in your left hand? Seems you can’t be holding the gun properly if you do.
2) To me, it looks like you aren’t holding the pistol tight enough with the right hand either and as a result energy needed to properly cycle the pistol is dissipated.
In prior posts I’ve mentioned that once I started to hold the pistol (really) firmly my problems went away. I let my oldest son shoot it a few times and he had some failures.
Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Wildtoad,
I had read your previous post as well as this new one. I think you have a valid point to consider but as I've thought about my situation yesterday I have a few thoughts. Yesterday I was loading 3 mags putting one in the gun and 2 in my back pocket. As I was shooting I was holding the empties. That is not how I typically shoot, I was trying to get a bunch of rounds through the gun as it was about 90 degrees out in the blazing sun.

1. The majority of the problems are due to light strikes which many reviews online complain of. Light strikes are due to weak hammer springs or firing pin problems. It wouldn't matter much how the gun is held for light strikes.
2. The second most common problem I'm having is double-feeds after a light strike because the gun inconsistently ejects the round that got the light strike (which I also demonstrated hand cycling the gun).
3. I practice shooting my EDC quite often (I reload with my own cast bullets and the cost is similar to shooting .22). I practice alternating magazines one handed strong hand, weak hand. My EDC is a Glock 27 (the sub-compact which the grip is about the same height as the LCPii as both are 2 finger grips) in .40 S&W. I mostly shoot 180 gr bullets through a custom barrel that is safe to use with lead bullets, with the powder charge near the top of the suggested range. What do people that call it 40 "short and weak" complain of most about .40? "IT'S TOO SNAPPY!" Since I can strong hand or weak hand single-handedly shoot a subcompact in .40 without limp-wristing problems (in the 27 if limp wristed it will usually stove pipe), I doubt I'm limp wristing a subcompact .22. I could be wrong but I can't see it with the amount of .40 I shoot single handed in a very small and lightweight gun.

·
Registered
232 Posts
just answered the poll... i actually have two LCP II 22s (bought a second one when they first came out because i wanted an extra magazine - now i have 10 magazines - LOL!)

the only issue i have is that one pistol is a tad more accurate than the other - but both are pretty darn good for my range (5-7 yards); i am very happy that these pistols like cheap ammo... i have a buttload of cheap rimfire used for plinking, and my neighbor and i run about 12K rounds a year at the local ranges

so i'm happy with my pair... these are quality built and will outlast my half-the-cost HP22As, which are also a lot of fun:

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice to read another good report on the .22. Mine has been great after a first time out disaster. I have since sold my LCP2 (to my adult son who now has two) and have ordered a LCP II in .380.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had the exact problems as the OP. Sent it back to Ruger sighting the same issues. They “repaired” it promptly and returned it with a note stating they replaced the barrel and magazine, said they ran 30 rounds of a mix of Aquila and CCI Mini Mags with no issues. Yesterday, I went to the range and here is my latest experience with the LCP2:
Out of 100 rounds of Aquila 40 grain solid nose, I had three failures to feed and one failure to fire.
Out of 100 rounds of Armscor 38 grain hollow points, I got two failures to feed and three failures to fire.
Out of 60 rounds of Federal 38 grain hollow points, I got two failures to feed and three failures to fire.

BTW, all of the ammo was high velocity.

Also, I’m going to attribute the failures to fire on bad ammo because striking them a second time did not set them off.

I really want to like this pistol but when my Phoenix Arms HP22 is more reliable with absolutely no feeding issues and one half the price, It makes me think about trading it for something with a better track record, like maybe a revolver. I have heard there are no feeding issues with a revolver. 😉

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the exact problems as the OP. Sent it back to Ruger sighting the same issues. They “repaired” it promptly and returned it with a note stating they replaced the barrel and magazine, said they ran 30 rounds of a mix of Aquila and CCI Mini Mags with no issues.
Hi Garpo, I too want to like this gun. Please, don't forget to take the poll above. From the poll it seems the majority are not having problems then others of us have nothing but problems that Ruger can't seem to fix.

Makes me wonder if one of the plastic molds is off dimensionally. If they have 8 molds and one is off, that would line up with the poll results. It just seems weird that so many run really well and some are plagued with light strike and feed and extraction/ejection issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought the gun was fantastic. I really liked mine. Today the trigger started to screwup. Now for some reason I have to pull REAL hard on it to get it to fire. The trigger is all the way to the overtravel button, and the I have to pull hard to get it to fire. This is the fourth ruger out of the last six that has to go back to ruger. Two were replaced because they were unfixable and unsafe. I have one of the new SP101 on order. I think I will cancel that, and just keep the old rugers that I have. No more new rugers

·
Registered
785 Posts
bearhawk, I did take the pole; however, I'm the person who voted "mine is a jamomatic and needs to go back to Ruger" but that was before I sent it in. If you can, move it to the same line as your vote.

I'm going to give it one more chance by returning it in hopes that Ruger can "fix it". If not repaired to my satisfaction, I may have to consider other options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Garpo,
The poll is setup so that the user can change their vote at any time. I can't change it, only you can as a user. Hope you send yours back again and hopefully they figure out what is causing the near 1 in 5 guns to be duds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called today about my gun as I put in a request via their online form on Monday evening, 6/15/20. They finally responded to me on Friday, 6/19/20 after 5 their time saying I needed to call them. What good is the online form other than wasting a 4 days?

Long story short, the gun will start it's trek back tomorrow for the 3rd time. They may or may not replace it but I just ask that whatever they send back works reliably. They couldn't see Youtube videos on their work computers (IT has it locked down) but the CSR was able to watch part of the video I made somehow and she didn't like that it had been back twice and was acting up like it was. It sounds like they are very aware of the "light strike" issues plaguing some of these LCPii in 22LR. She asked if I could send her my movie file and I did.

I'm wondering if they should rename the gun from "Lite Rack" to "Lite Strike" haha?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I updated the poll with two options that exist. I knew they sometimes replaced problem guns (although you do have to pay an FFL to transfer the replacement gun) but I did not know an option existed where they would send you a check for the purchase price (you send them your receipts) and they keep the gun as a refund program. I doubt the second one happens often but I found out it is an option. I guess they probably do that when they deem you a "pain-in-the-butt customer" which I'm guessing they think I am as a refund was the first option they gave me, not the replacement option.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a mkiii with the chamber cut crooked to the bore. It shaved every bullet and made shotgun patterns. First time back, they replaced the sear and mag disconnect (not related to the problem, nor a problem themselves). Second trip back, a technician actually looked at the gun and verified "it should be destroyed". Ruger gave me the option of keeping the junk gun (no "refund"), or having it replaced with a new mkiv. I don't like the design of the mkiv, but figured I would try it and sell it if it couldn't win me over.

Ruger reimburses FFL fees up to $50. Ask your FFL for an electronic receipt to make it easy to send to Ruger.

About 100 flawless rounds thru the mkiv, and then it became my friend's "new toy".

As far as your problem child, check the "problem child" thread. I'm certain I'd have your pistol running like a well oiled sewing machine in short order. (poor mag release = problem)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Test Enginner, I'll check the problem child thread. I'm probably going to have Ruger replace my gun. I did complain about having to pay the FFL fee and they said pretty emphatically they will not cover that expense. Because I was complaining at having to pay that fee they did offer me a free magazine which is a $20 value and my FFL charges me $20 so I'm almost OK with that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts