Ruger Forum banner

If you own a Ruger LCPii in 22LR, has yours run without problems?

• Mine was and is a "jammomatic" even after it has been back to Ruger.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine was and is a "jammomatic" even after being back more than once.

• Ruger refunded the purchase price after I sent receipts to them and they kept the gun.

• Total voters
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Why did you have to go through an FFL? When I send mine into either Walther or Ruger it comes back to me. Unless there is something different with dealing with a replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If it's a repair they can send it directly back to you. Ruger sent this LCPii in 22LR back to me via Fedex both times. In the replacement email though they stated, "Please be advised that we are required by law to transfer a replacement through a federally licensed firearms dealer". That is different than the last gun they replaced for me because when they replaced an SP101 in 1991 or 1992 they did ship that directly to me too. Something changed in the law I guess.

I'm sure glad repairs don't have to go through an FFL as that would be getting pretty expensive quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ll be following this thread; my first range report was very poor; 200 rounds of CCI MiniMag 36gr and 1-3 failure to feed per mag through it all. Very disappointing; Ruger wants the gun back, but I have 200 Stingers I want to try before I do- I want to see if it’s ammo related / just a picky gun etc. one brand isn’t enough for me to call it a dud but it has zero light primer strikes, ONLY failure to feeds.. could be my grip I guess I can barely get my ring finger on it for a solid grip.. a mag grip extension is high on my list of wants to help with that.
I will say it was amazingly accurate. And fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,736 Posts
I am not as educated as some on rimfire and semi-autos. Can anyone explain to me why you would use hyper velocity ammo in a short barrel or any .22LR semi automatic pistol? What is the reasoning? What benefit do you get if any? What impact does any hyper velocity ammo have on the firearm? Just asking for some data here and attempting to get my head around the logic if there is any.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is my belief that the manufacturers want hotter ammo to properly cycle the firearm- as in lower velocity ammo doesn’t have enough oomph to eject and feed the next round via inadequate slide action. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
491 Posts
rickclark28 said:
]
I am not as educated as some on rimfire and semi-autos. Can anyone explain to me why you would use hyper velocity ammo in a short barrel or any .22LR semi automatic pistol? What is the reasoning? What benefit do you get if any?
The only advantage is hyper-V ammo will help break in new springs faster than HV ammo. So instead of needing around 500 mini mags, you may only need 100 stingers. Broken in springs typically have fewer failures to eject, and sometimes fewer failures to load. However, you will typically get MORE failures to load while shooting the stingers. This is because the bolt/slide cycles a lot faster, and maybe too fast for the magazine to get the next round fully raised to load.

What impact does any hyper velocity ammo have on the firearm? Just asking for some data here and attempting to get my head around the logic if there is any.
Other than new spring break in, every single thing about hyper-v ammo is VERY bad for semi-auto firearms. The bolt/slide hits the stop with WAY too much force as the springs become/are broken in. This creates peening and/or cracking in the frame or elsewhere in the gun.

A guy on RFC forum is currently waiting for a replacement SR22 after hyper-v ammo destroyed it. (And round count really wasn't very high.) Personally, I would NEVER shoot hyper-v ammo in a plastic or aluminum frame gun. A solid steel gun will hold up to a few rounds now and then, but even then - a steady diet of hyper-v is really a "No No" if you want the gun to last.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Several “studies” have indicated that using Stingers in a short barrel pistol is a wasteful activity, and Velocitors are a better round for those that want to use the pistol for self defense. I have run a box of 50 Stingers through my LCPII with no issues except one was a dud.

High performance rounds such as the Mini Mags have shown to be a great round for everyday shooting and have the energy needed to cycle these tiny little pistols. I have a 2013 Walther PPK/S in .22 and it too will fault to perform on standard velocity ammo.

I have had great success with my LCPII using Mini Mags and Remington Golden’s when making sure the rounds are fully seated in the mag, and using a extra firm (two handed) grip. But then too, at 6’2” my hands are of size to allow ring finger to hold the grip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
... one brand isn’t enough for me to call it a dud but it has zero light primer strikes, ONLY failure to feeds.
Mine was problematic with many different CCI ammo (Velocitors, Minimags, Blazer), Federal, Remington, and Winchester, it didn't matter as it choked on them all mostly equally. Mine didn't have the light primer strikes until they changed the slide and barrel the first time it was back. This makes me think the light strike issue is related to some drag on the firing pin in the slide housing. I could be wrong but since the hammer spring wasn't touched in the lower part of the gun and the light strikes happened after the slide replacement it would appear it has something to do with the firing pin itself or the channel it rides in. That's my guess and I hope yours doesn't develop the problem when they change your slide and barrel which seems their MO.

I am not as educated as some on rimfire and semi-autos. Can anyone explain to me why you would use hyper velocity ammo in a short barrel or any .22LR semi automatic pistol? What is the reasoning? What benefit do you get if any?
Since this is a blowback design the belief is the harder you blow it back it will overcome stiff springs and help with making sure the slide travels back far enough to pickup the next round and the faster things will break in. You won't get the velocity advantage though as the powder is still burning when the bullet has long left the short barrel. As someone else stated above, this is why Velocitors come recommended for self defense carry in 22 over the stingers. The same issue is true with .357 magnum loads in a snubby revolver. The expanding gasses are still ramping up pressure but the bullet has left the barrel so all you get is a lot of flash of burning powder without much added velocity. That is why if I do carry my J-frame I carry with .38+P as the velocity is about the same as full on .357 mag. A 6" barrel changes everything in .357.

My take on break in is that some manufacturers push the "500 round break in" because they are machining parts with higher tool feed rates leaving a much rougher finish. This gives them quicker production at the cost of rougher parts. Rougher parts require more rubbing together to smooth out the rough finish. The barrel of my LCPii is very rough with tooling marks compared to any of my many Glocks or Smith & Wesson auto loaders which are completely smooth and also coated. Personally, I don't carry a gun unless I've put 500 rounds through it including at least 200 trouble-free rounds of the ammo I plan to carry. My LCPii that is back at Ruger for the 3rd time has around 500 rounds through it now but it won't cycle any brand of ammo reliably.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought the gun was fantastic. I really liked mine. Today the trigger started to screwup. Now for some reason I have to pull REAL hard on it to get it to fire. The trigger is all the way to the overtravel button, and the I have to pull hard to get it to fire. This is the fourth ruger out of the last six that has to go back to ruger. Two were replaced because they were unfixable and unsafe. I have one of the new SP101 on order. I think I will cancel that, and just keep the old rugers that I have. No more new rugers
Just got the email. Ruger has to replace my LCP2 22. They don't have a very good batting average with me. On a side note the SP101 I had ordered is top notch. I am very glad for that, but I think I am pretty much done with new rugers.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
One thing I would suggest is that you stop trying to cycle your gun by hand. "The round isn't hitting the ejector"? Is there an ejector in these guns?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone here tried the GallowayPrecision.com spring modifications for our LCPII 22? They have youtube videos of pre and post modification that seem to cure all of the issues we are experiencing. They increase rate for hammer spring and extractor spring, decrease rate for firing pin.
I returned the LCPII 22 to Ruger. I documented for them the same FTE, FTF and failure to lock back the slide using 3 separate magazines and even when using high end ammo. They returned it with new slide stop, slide assembly and barrell. The repairs helped significantly but not completely. I am considering the springs and appreciate any endorsments from those with direct personal experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
One thing I would suggest is that you stop trying to cycle your gun by hand. "The round isn't hitting the ejector"? Is there an ejector in these guns?
The reason I hand cycled is that all the problems, except for light strikes, can be duplicated without going through ammo.

Yes, there is an ejector, it is part of the slide release. It is clearly seen if you look at one. IMG_20200802_183112537[1].jpg IMG_20200802_183020419[1].jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Update time o_O

On 8-1-20 I transferred the replacement that came from Ruger. Today, 8-2 I was able to put 200 rounds through it. This one is much better, although it did have 4 different problems in 200 rounds that weren't ammo related. It is a huge improvement and I think most of these kinks may work out with time. The first LCPii in 22lr was certainly a dud!

I had 3 rounds that wouldn't fire even after putting them back into the gun which is no fault of the gun. These were not light strikes as we put them in a bolt action rifle after trying to fire them again in the LCP. They still wouldn't fire. One was a CCI Minimag 36gr (the lot of these that I have has had numerous duds), one was a Federal 36gr bulk pack, and one was a Winchester M22 40gr. All the velocitors I fired went bang although I have had a few duds of those too in the past, not this time. Looks like they all have duds sometimes...as if we didn't know that, and yes, CCI has them too. Even so, there was a problem each time this happened.

The first problem came in the 2nd mag using CCI Velocitors. The slide didn't pick up a new round for some reason. When it went click, I peeked inside and there was an empty chamber with another round ready to come up from the mag. The old gun did this once in a while, even with Velocitors. This gun is new and it was the 2nd mag so I'll forgive that one unless it keeps happening.

The 2nd problem was with Winchester M22 which when the new round was being stripped out of the mag by the slide it cocked to the right slamming the round nose (not HP) into the right side of the barrel face. See photo below. I'm not sure what caused that but a lady friend wanted to try the gun and that could have been a limp wrist issue that she caused. This problem can be an "unknown" as she is a new shooter.

The 3rd problem was an ejection issue, using Federal 36gr CPHP bulk. The empty case did not get thrown out of the open slide but rather laid to the left of the loading round causing the loading round to go right, doing the nose hitting the right side of the barrel face similar to the 2nd problem above. While this appears it didn't eject correctly, it certainly ejects much more reliably than the old gun that Ruger took back. See photo attached.

The 4th problem happened every time I had a dud round. The thing that makes me a little worried with this replacement is this was a problem with the original gun. When you have a round that doesn't fire (whether light strike or dud) the extractor won't grip the round in the chamber causing a double-feed. This one frosts me a bit as this seems to be an issue with this model for me with a sample size of 2 guns. Again, this happened with 3 rounds from 3 different manufacturers.

It took 20 days from when Ruger agreed to replace the firearm until it got to my FFL. He and I couldn't get our schedules to match for over a week. Anyhow, the replacement SN is almost 23,700 more than the first gun I had. I have no idea what, if any, improvements had been made during that time.

At this point, this is mucho mejor, much better. Is it reliable? I have too few rounds to know but I must say it's looking way better than the old one did at 200 rounds. I'll post again after I get several hundred more rounds through it. This is a major improvement to my original jammomatic but it appears there are still problems that need worked out, especially the extraction issue.

IMG_20200802_173048977[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The reason I hand cycled is that all the problems, except for light strikes, can be duplicated without going through ammo.

Yes, there is an ejector, it is part of the slide release. It is clearly seen if you look at one. View attachment 145641 View attachment 145642
Okay, I wasn't sure if it did or not. The reason I said not to hand cycle ammo is because there was a thread on here recently with several people having issues with the rounds jamming up from hand cycling on firearms that worked fine when fired. The consensus seemed to be the shape of the round caused a problem.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,736 Posts
bearhawk, following your journey here and wish you some good luck on this one. The x2 I have have been very good and reliable in the testing phase. The one I have over 1,300 rounds of range time and the only ammo issues are with some Winchester. The only other thing for me that stands out is I have not used many hyper velocity rounds through ours after testing the ammo. Your issues are interesting and thanks for taking the time to share the pain. My hat's off to you for sticking with it. It is a learning curve for me and I hope my LCPII22LR's hold up. So far I am very happy with both of ours. Again-> Thanks for the information.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!
Ammo used to test our LCPII22LR's. No issues and no hyper velocity used other than for testing.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235(go to range ammo)
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN(go to range ammo)
Aquila Super Extra 40gr. 1255fps. CPRN
Federal 22LR 38gr 1260fps CPHP(go to range ammo)
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP
Armscor 22LR 36gr 1260fps. HV CPHP

·
Registered
490 Posts
My LCP II was sent back to Ruger by the gunshop where I got it for light primer strikes. It would have 2 or more fail to fire out of 10 rounds. The only ammo that would fire reliably was Remington bulk HP and CCI MiniMags. Winchester, Browning, and Federal ammo had what I would call light strikes. Ruger found no issues. They said they fired 50 rounds of Agilla and 10 rounds of Federal Target ammo without issues.
I still had issures but decided to fire more ammo through it and see if it would improve. The light strikes got better.
Then another problem started to develope. The slide would lock back on the second or third round with the mag still loaded. That issure continued to get worse and finally it would happen at a minimum of 2 or 3 times per magazine. I called Ruger Customer Service and they sent me a shipping label and presently have the LCP at their facility.
I hope they can fix the gun. I have an old Jennings JA22 that I got at a pawn shop used for less than $50 and it never fails. It will shoot standard velocity, Stingers, Vipers, Yellowjackets and everything between.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts