Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little gun is the most reliable semi auto 22lr i have run across. Its so comvient to carry in either the pocket or waste band. So slim its perfect.
I am going to get the threaded barrel for extra length and fps.
Waiting on the plus 4 mag base plates to come back in stock for more range fun

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep i feel for those that have had issues.
I can get federal punch to run well with mcarbo extra strength recoil spring. I do replace oem spring for all else. I have no issues carrying this weapon. Its just so thin and light its perfect for carry. Now i do rotate the lcr 22lr and my kel tec p17. All three are very close in weight. But the lcpii beats them all for absolute carry comfort. Home is my 9mm or shotgun but for everday civilian needs in shorts or long pants these 3 are my go too. My back thanks me each day. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Very happy with ours and have had ZERO issues with both of them. The one I take to the range has well over 5k with no issues. My wife baby's hers but to it too has been trouble free.
*I too feel bad for those that have had trouble, but my experience has been great from day one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine is very reliable and I removed both safeties, gives it a crisp trigger. I'm even considering removing the paddle from the trigger since I never carry with a loaded chamber. Eats all ammo except the Punch, but with regards to SD ammo, we're talking about 50 to 60 lbs of energy so with a 22 the best defense is to get as many rounds in the torso in hopes of hitting bone, organs, or happily an artery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I almost sold my LCP .22 right after I bought it because the trigger felt like a pretzel crusher. I couldn't hit a soda can 7 feet away. Removed the magazine disconnect & it's MUCH better now. Fun to shoot & accurate for a tiny gun. Also stopped jamming since the mod.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sold mine, it shot fine but 1) the sights really suck and 2) I found it very inaccurate. i guess it’s ok close up and personal, but it’s not even a good plinker.
I thought about buying one, but haven't for the very reasons you mention. I just don't see it being accurate enough to make a fun plinker.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just put some tandemkross wingman +4 mag extension base pads on two if my mags.

They are a bit of a pain to get on. You really have to be patient compressing their spring.

I have shot them in the last two quick funtion check sessions. First time out i had to take one apart and reinstall. The spring was binding.

Second session all is good. The extra grip surface is nice. I was surprised as it took me several mags to get used to it. The pics make it look like they are huge but they fit the hand well and ccw just as good as oem.

I am going to really put some long term range sessions in to test reliablity before considering using them in a ccw situation.

Sorry to hear others had hard time with accuracy. While this is not a target pistol i can keep a sub 3 inch group at seven yards. I am not really putting that much effort in to being uber accurate either. I can hit shotgun shells and cans at even greater distances. Its all about finding the right front sight height adjustment in relation to the rear notch. I have no problems keeping rounds center mass at 20 yards .

With the added 4 rounds in mag and one in the pipe 15 rounds at the ready is appealing. This weapon is perfectly thin for ccw. I forget i have it on my body.

Yep first thing i did was get rid of the mag disconnect. I had taken safety off but put it back on as i was pocket carrying. Now i have just gotten used to it. It travels in a desantis slim tuck at my 2 to 3 oclock postion. Very concealable and comfortable in shorts.

Its convenience is making it my go to all day , any where , any type of dress companion.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I thought about buying one, but haven't for the very reasons you mention. I just don't see it being accurate enough to make a fun plinker.
Fun to shoot at flat paper targets (indoor range), can always unload 10 rounds center mass in no time which is what I bought it for. Not a good choice taking out someone 20 yards away though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fun to shoot at flat paper targets (indoor range), can always unload 10 rounds center mass in no time which is what I bought it for. Not a good choice taking out someone 20 yards away though.
yeah I bought this for 30 ft and closer. Though at 20 yards as long as you can point at a bad guy you should be able to hit him. Especially with 10 rounds. This would go for any pistol, size shouldn’t matter.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well another great range run. The wingman +4 mag extensions are doing well now.

However i have noticed that i am getting a failure to fire more often.

These rounds are a mix of federal eagle, golden bullet, winchester X and tripple X.

I did put thise rounds in my lcr and they were bad rounds. Its just odd. I am getting to the lower 1/3 of my 5 gallon bucket of bullets. Hadnt really had this frequency up to now.

My firing pin is not broken and i dont dry fire this gun. Its has been through several thousand rounds. I did order a couple of firing pins as emergency back up. I think i will install one to see if it's the ammo or firing pin just wore down.

I did notice one thing about extracting a bad round in chamber.

If manually pull all the way back on the slide and there is a magazine with rounds in the gun the bullet will not completely extract. Its like the upward pressure from the rounds in the mag dislodge the extractors grip on the round.
This causes user to have to drop the mag to clear the bad round.

No bueno if you using this little guy in a bad situation and have to clear a round.

Hmm i wander if there is a stronger extractor spring to be had?

Its a shame as this thing is about 13 ounces loaded with 15 rounds. Its so slim and light. Perfect for ccw.

Now the kel tec p17 and lcr 22lr are the same weight loaded about 15 ounces.

The mosy reliable of all three is the lcr but rounds limited comparatively.

So i guess i will be looking for a solution. I am sure ruger has been contacted about this.
I know p17 is almost 100 percent with punch, velocitor and thunderbolt.

Up to now i hadn't really had failure to fire this frequently. Well we shall see how the new firing pin works out.

Going to test the other rounds for reliable ignition and or extraction.

The journey continues.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
My first suspect would be the Remington Golden Bullets. They have been a source of grief for many shooters.

Next try at the range try keeping each brand separate, each mag full being only one brand. Dumping four brands into a bucket makes it impossible to narrow down ammo issues. Banging around loose in a 5 gal bucket can damage the ammo too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well another great range run. The wingman +4 mag extensions are doing well now.

However i have noticed that i am getting a failure to fire more often.

These rounds are a mix of federal eagle, golden bullet, winchester X and tripple X.

I did put thise rounds in my lcr and they were bad rounds. Its just odd. I am getting to the lower 1/3 of my 5 gallon bucket of bullets. Hadnt really had this frequency up to now.

My firing pin is not broken and i dont dry fire this gun. Its has been through several thousand rounds. I did order a couple of firing pins as emergency back up. I think i will install one to see if it's the ammo or firing pin just wore down.

I did notice one thing about extracting a bad round in chamber.

If manually pull all the way back on the slide and there is a magazine with rounds in the gun the bullet will not completely extract. Its like the upward pressure from the rounds in the mag dislodge the extractors grip on the round.
This causes user to have to drop the mag to clear the bad round.

No bueno if you using this little guy in a bad situation and have to clear a round.

Hmm i wander if there is a stronger extractor spring to be had?

Its a shame as this thing is about 13 ounces loaded with 15 rounds. Its so slim and light. Perfect for ccw.

Now the kel tec p17 and lcr 22lr are the same weight loaded about 15 ounces.

The mosy reliable of all three is the lcr but rounds limited comparatively.

So i guess i will be looking for a solution. I am sure ruger has been contacted about this.
I know p17 is almost 100 percent with punch, velocitor and thunderbolt.

Up to now i hadn't really had failure to fire this frequently. Well we shall see how the new firing pin works out.

Going to test the other rounds for reliable ignition and or extraction.

The journey continues.
I don't know if a stronger extractor spring will do it. The 22LR is a long bullet and the gun is designed to extract an empty casing. The issue with most extended mags regardless of caliber is their improper feeding. A good way to check the firing pin is to put an empty casing in the chamber and fire it. You should be able to tell if the pin is hitting hard enough. Typically extractor issues are due to the claw getting damaged or not being machined properly. I wouldn't sweat it too much if you keep reliable ammo in your gun when you do carry. I like the CCI mini-mags, primarily because they have the least amount of wax on the bullet which reduces the chances of the wax getting in the way of operation. Nothing worse than carrying a 22 in the heat and the wax creating buildup between rounds and causing a hick-up in feeding. Back to the original issue. I don't like extended mags for the feeding issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts