Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a LCR 22 WMR a few days ago, fit and finish on the gun is superb. Cleaned it all up well and it seems to function fine, very good looking revolver. Finally got it to the range this morning. The only ammo I brought was Winchester super X 40 grain and it seems like the little LCR is not liking this stuff. Very first trigger pull and a light strike, wow I didn't expect that. Out of a box of 50 rounds I had 6 light strikes, every one fired on the 2nd strike. Accuracy was just ok 3" to 4" at 7 yards and most likely it was because I am not use to this gun and the trigger pull. The light strikes occurred in the first 35rounds then the last 15 rounds works fine? At home I have Hornady 30gr and 40gr and CCI 40gr. Wish I had brought these with, as it would have eliminated a problem with the gun or the ammo. The main reason I bought the 22wmr is for a small light weapon when we go out on the atv's in the woods. It's the perfect trail gun and packs a decent amount of wallop from the 22wmr cartridge. So I'll have to wait until next weekend to make another range run with the LCR, hopefully it's just the Winchester ammo, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for the initial report. I've been eyeing one for about a year now. It really does make for a nice, small and reasonably powerful pocket piece. Great round too.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I was shooting in the lane next to a guy who had an LCR in .22mag.
The muzzle blast and noise from that thing had me convinced it was at least a .38spl, maybe a .357, until I saw him load the rounds in it.

My first thought was that with that much noise, you might was well shoot a bigger diameter caliber...dang that thing was loud.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it's loud and has some punch to it. That small LCR is the perfect platform for the 22wmr. I got her all cleaned up again and going to try some different ammo and see how it shoots with something besides Winchester. If it works well with different ammo, she's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I picked one up for the wife this past Friday. We both shot it about 100 rounds and like it a lot though she needs to get used to the trigger pull. No malfunction it went bang with each strook of the trigger.

·
Registered
384 Posts
There are 22 mag rounds for short barrels on the market which may have less muzzle flash, possibly. Having said that, I've never tried the pistol version 22 mag rounds myself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I picked up an LCR in .22 WMR myself. The trigger was very gritty at first but is smoothing out now. Still not as good as the LCRx, but OK. Here are some chrony results:

Hornady FTX 45 gr: 1147 fps

Speer GDHP SB 40 gr: 1216 fps

Win. PDX1 40 gr: 1250 fps

Maxi Mag 40 gr: 1149 fps

Hornady lists the velocity as 1000 fps from a 1 7/8" barrel so I was pleasantly surprised. PDX1 was 1295, no barrel length listed. Lots of muzzle flash from the Speer even in daylight. Recoil is minimal, offhand at 10 yards I can put all the rounds center mass rapid fire, it's a nice little revolver. Edit: Also tried Win. Super X later, it shot good but did not have the chrony set up that day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: I've had this revolver out two more times with different ammo. Hornady vmax, CCI maximags, and Armscore. Everything fired and performed excellent except the Winchester, every other round was a failure to fire but with a second hit fired. The trigger is smoothing out nicely and its pretty accurate for a 1 7/8" barrel. It's fits very nicely in your pocket. I'm really liking it now that I got the ammo situation sorted out, I just need to steer clear of Winchester ammo.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I have had the LCR 22 mag for awhile. Never failed to fire no matter what ammo I have used. Fun to shoot, and at 7 yards It does a good job. I use it as a back up for my EDC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts