Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first posting here, I apologize if it is not in the right place. I recently acquired a LCRx in the .327. Mainly going to be a carry gun for me. My father is getting the regular LCR version of the .327 and wanted me to see if anyone had used the Buffalo Bore Heavy 130 grain in the LCR before? He is mainly worried about threats from cougars, bear, insert other large animal. Would this be to ambitious of a bullet for the LCR, if so what are thoughts on the 120 gr from Double Tap? Or any other suggestions for the intended purpose? Cost is not that much of a concern. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Big cats and bears....12 gauge pump with slugs and/or 00 buck...
That's no place for a 32 cal revolver even if it does say magnum .
I've seen what a big cat can do at our local zoo , in 45 minutes an escaped Jaguar killed
5 alpaca's , 2 foxes and 1 emu...big cats are killing machines and very good at it.
If I'm in big cat and bear country, I'm going with a 12 gauge and lots of shells.
Gary

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm a huge fan of .327 FM. Buffalo Bore 130 grain is a great round, and recoil doesn't seem as bad as the AE 100grn, at least to me. That said, if I lived near big cats and big bears, I would carry a .44.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently purchased an LCR 327. Put a Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip on it for a little more size.

So far I have tried the following ammos:

AE 100 gr - a tad tough on my strong hand ...actually hurts....lol.
AE 85 gr. shoots well and is comfortable.
Hydrashok 85 low recoil. Good shooting and comfortable.
Buffalo Bore 100 Gr JHP...very accurate and comfortable.
Buffalo Bore 130 gr hard cast (I though I was ordering the 100 gr and have 4 boxes of it. I experienced a definite hurting hand and could only tolerate two cylinders of it
Underwood xtreme Defender. Very good and very accurate and comfortable to shoot.
Federal 32 H&R 85 gr and 95 gr. Both very good shooters. No recoil.
Speer Gold Dot 100 gr JHP....absolutely hurts and I dare not try the 115 gr.
32 S&W long.....lighter than a 22...lol...just for plinking and I could find it locally

I was supposed to have some Double Tap 75 gr Tac-XP delivered today, but did not show up.

I like the LCR so much that I have started carrying it as a back up to my semis. Fits great in the pocket and is light enough to not bother me with the weight.

So far my two carry ammos will be BB 100 gr JHP and the Underwood.

I am going to find a way to "enjoy the 130 gr BB Hard Cast.

The Double Tap may move into a slot in the carrying of the LCR.

My wife purchased a LCR 327 a couple of years ago and keeps 32 H&R Magnum (Critical Defense) in hers. I originally foofawed her choice but after shooting it and doing research on 32 H&R and 327 Magnum for self defense I took a deep breath and ordered it. I have really liked it

Hornady is supposed to have a Critical Defense load available in 327 and I would like to try it if I can find it.

The Pachmayr grip fits my hand better than the original Hogue and , IMHO, makes the 327 magnum more of a pleasure to shoot and more accurate in my hands.

Because of its weight and how good the 327 Magnum has proved to be, I now prefer to carry it as a bug rathe than my Kimber K6S or my SP101 2.25 in 38/357. Still love my 357s though. They may become primaries with the LCR in the pocket as a bug. Hwck, I have even carried two revolvers in my pockets as of late.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in PA and feel comfortable that a .32, 380, .38 will handle anything of a threat in my woods - which the largest realistic threat will be a rabid 30 Lb beast or man... I love my LCR as a hiking / woods gun. I've been tossing the idea around of getting a .327 LCR and loading it with .32 S&W Long SWC.

In your woods with the threats that you described, a Glock 20 in 10mm on up seems more appropriate...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
My EDC is a LCR 327, the 100 grain AE are very snappy in it. I prefer the 85 grain. Have not tried the 130 grain Buffalo Bore that others have mentioned.

The 85 grain is hard to find, the 32 sw short & long are easier to find just a tad pricey ...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I’ve used my LCRX and Single Seven in 327 Federal Magnum for:

1. Ridding the ranch of varmints and feral cats
2. Personal defense
3. Snakes
4. Coyotes

For larger beasts there are better calibers.

For my use it has resulted in one shot kills not considering people in that I don’t shoot at people.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got 3 boxes of Double Tap 327 75 Gr Tac-XP today and shot 1 box of them from 7 yards with my LCR 327. Nice round. Advertised as being over 1500 fps, but not sure out of what length barrel. Easy to tell that it was moving quickly. A little more recoil than my preconceived notions were expecting, but very comfortable. And every 327 ammo I have tried has been very accurate.

I also shot 11 rounds (what i had left in a box) of the 130 gr Buffalo Bore Hardcast with a glove on my strong hand. Very shootable when without the glove a couple days ago that round was punishing.

Still hoping to find the Critical Defense to try.

The more I shoot the LCR 327 the more I am liking it. Makes me wonder what the 357 is like in this platform.......not gonna get one though!

The only negative so far is that most times it is very hard to eject spent casings.

Ammo can be found online, but different vendors have different offerings and prices are not economical.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Heavy bullets for penetration and you can just use long or H&R. 100gr and higher have good sectional density.

No, don't try and fend off a dangerous animal with a small pistol cartridge

1 - 11 of 11 Posts