Ruger Forum banner

LCR 327 back from factory: THEY GOUGED THE FRAME

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Mowgli T. 
#1 ·
I bought a NIB LCR in 327. I discovered that the endshake was so large that the cylinder hits the barrel shank in the forward position. Ruger customer service confirmed this wasn’t correct. Sent it in. New LCR 327: a problem or not?

Got the gun back today. Packing slip says they replaced the entire cylinder assembly and trigger system. The endshake is still causing the cylinder to hit the barrel. AND, they managed to gouge the polymer frame nice and deep, I suppose to teach me a lesson?
This is not the first time Ruger ‘did not make it right’. I had to send a GP100 back 4 times for rebluing.
I’m at my wits end here. Not sure what I’m going to do about this gun.
Bicycle part Line Carbon Font Rim
Bicycle part Line Carbon Font Rim

See less See more
#5 ·
Give them a call and find out what's going on. Not to minimize your concerns but your deep gouge looks like a minor ding to me. Not trying to insult you but your expectations may be too high. You may be expecting Mercedes,Rolls Royce quality out of a Chevy, Toyota product.

#6 ·
"Teach you a lesson"
Man, I would hope there was no malicious intent, I would also agree that's a small "ding"
You said you sent a GP back 4 times?
Do you send a lot of product back to Ruger?
Not making excuses, but , some employees may have an attitude (inexcusable as it may be) to a customer whose (repeated) complaints they may see as trivial.
Ruger produces what I consider to be "working man's guns"
Fit and finish can be rough, but still in spec.
Have you considered Korth revolvers?
That would be a product someone looking for perfection should consider.
And at the cost point, minor complaints are justified.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. The ding in the polymer is cosmetic.
The original problem persists, and is not cosmetic. THE CYLINDER HITS THE BARREL SHANK when the cylinder is pushed forward. This means that when the gun is fired, the recoil slams the cylinder face onto the forcing cone. This is an unacceptable result in any revolver, budget or not.

Finally, the customer service rep's words were: 'The cylinder should have at least .002 clearance when the cylinder is pushed forward'.

#8 ·
I'm far from being an expert but I am not shy about expressing my unlearned opinion. When the gun is fired the cylinder moves backward away from the barrel. The force or counter force of the bullet into the forcing cone and barrel further causes the cylinder to move back and stay back. Upon the initial entry of the bullet into the barrel the gasses escaping from the shell and cylinder still push the cylinder back.

Reactions: Sr40ken and Kenny53
#10 ·
I would wonder if if trying to fix the blemish/ding/gouge would cause more damage? If the gun isn't mechanically correct send it back. I would talk with Ruger CS first in addition to an in depth review of You Tube. I know it is frustrating to buy a brand new anything and have problems it. Please keep us posted.

#13 ·
I you hadn't put the red arrow in the pic, I wouldn't have been able to find the "deep gouge." I'm just trying to give feedback & hope it helps to alleviate your thoughts of intentional damage at service dept. I don't think they were trying to "teach you a lesson." They'll take a gun back as many times as necessary.

#15 ·
Coming from my aircraft structures and materials training, nope, I ain't buying a gouge. LOL My word it's so small who knows how long it's been there.

#18 ·
It's not a gouge. It's not even equal to a scratched hood on a car.
It would take nothing to put that small mark on the frame and not know it.
I'm surprised no one is crying about the bluing wore on the crane.
I would say some one is bit paranoid if they think Ruger was teaching them a lesson.

#20 ·
I think he did a great job with the pic zooming in on the trouble area and pointing it out. half the time pics are out of focus, have bad lighting or zoomed out so much when you try to enlarge it it gets all grainy.

#22 ·
Admittedly my cosmetic standards are fairly low and especially on gun that will get carried.
I have been accused of paying extra for ugly on a gun destined to be bandied about.
I say when you put that gun to use as it is designed to be used that little dink will become meaningless.
Such is the nature of carry guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.