Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new here and thinking about getting the LCR .38 for carry. I like the size and weight of it and have no interest in the 357 model, so please don't recommend it. My question is with it being made from aluminum and polymer, how durable do you think this gun will be? Is longevity something to be expected with this design? This will be my first wheel gun and appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think the LCR has aluminum. The cylinder and barrel are stainless steel. And I think it's frame is also stainless. Only the grip frame is polymer.
Of course I await someone to correct something I wrote in error.

What I do know is that my LCR .38 has at least 1000 rounds through it, mostly handloads, with about 300 +p. No issues.

This light revolver is unlikely to get the heavy use my 686 or Blackhawks get. Even with moderate .38 loads, it doesn't take many shots to tenderize my trigger finger.

Get one and don't fret.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I don't have any LCR, but I do have two SP's. I would not expect any LCR to be a "range" gun, which one fires a couple hundred rounds thru at least per month. I do think the SP's are up to that task. For concealed carry, the LCR seems ideal, and one would want to be very familiar with it at the range for a few trips, then to be carried, hopefully without firing. A couple times a year the LCR could visit the range for re-familiarity.
To me, the aluminum component of the LCR is the only concern. The polymer grip portion doesn't really get stressed. The all-stainless SP's serve both purposes of range and carry firearms. Mine have a few thousand rounds through them, and they are still just infants.
If you plan on getting a "range gun" in the future, then go ahead and get the LCR for carry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies! I'm a Sig Sauer guy but this LCR would be for carry. I understand it's not a range gun and am familiar with its recoil as I have shot one. I was simply concerned with it's long term durability.

·
Registered
79 Posts
wife and I both own a 38+p lcr. we have I bet 2000 rounds each(reloads of 158 grains with 4.5 grains of unique) and 200 rounds each of 158 grain +p defense rounds down the pipe of them. the barrel and the cylinder are rugers high strength carpenter steel and yes the frame is aluminum high strength aluminum . the 357's frames are stainless. I wouldn't worry about it, just get it we love ours and I pocket carry mine all the time....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here and thinking about getting the LCR .38 for carry. I like the size and weight of it and have no interest in the 357 model, so please don't recommend it. My question is with it being made from aluminum and polymer, how durable do you think this gun will be? Is longevity something to be expected with this design? This will be my first wheel gun and appreciate any comments you may have. Thanks!
I am just curious, not recommending.

Why not the 357?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I read somewhere, don't remember where though, that Ruger has a test LCR at the factory with over 100,000 rounds through it. That was several years ago I read that do it would be allot more now if they still use.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have the LCR 38+P and like it. I load and shoot a GP100 6" and SP101 with 4" barrel. I shoot 357 loads in them. Personally I am sure the flash and bang of a 357 in the very short barrel of the LCR would be a big hindrance in a defense situation, if the first shot did not connect.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
moonpup I have both Ruger SP101's & two Ruger LCR's one a .38Special LCRX which I am wearing right now & my .22 Mag LCR. All the necessary parts barrel, cylinder lock up parts etc are Stainless Steel. You treat the LCR the way they are suppose to be treated they will serve your needs very well. At a much nicer weight to carry!!!!!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I don't think the LCR has aluminum. The cylinder and barrel are stainless steel. And I think it's frame is also stainless. Only the grip frame is polymer.
Of course I await someone to correct something I wrote in error.
Well, you did ask for it.

The LCR-38 indeed does use an aluminum cylinder frame. The cylinder and barrel are steel, the cylinder frame aluminum, the grip frame polymer.

The LCR-357 and 9mm utilize stainless steel cylinder frames, hence the extra ounces of overall weight.

One thing which you can count on - even if Ruger may not be great at putting parts together these days, they are phenomenal firearms designers, with incredibly high service factors. Rugers hold top spot for durability and reliability for their models in their respective classes. The LCR, despite its aluminum frame will withstand more abuse than an all steel small frame Taurus. That's not speculation, it's factual evidence I've seen in servicing these revolvers as they are used and abused (and using and abusing them a bit myself).

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
This is sort of asking how long will a felt tip pen last.

Considering it's not a range gun but a CCW like others have said, I seriously doubt any CCW user will wear it out in their life time.

This is based on the fact that Ruger built it and secondly most CCW guns are so uncomfortable to shoot that you'll stop long before you'd ever wear it out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can fire 38's from a 357 LCR. The 357 LCR would be even more durable than the 38 and only a few oz. heavier.
+1 they are only 5oz more and much more durable frame.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'd buy the LCR 38 without reservation. Rest assured, if in the unlikely event you shoot it enough to break it, Ruger will make it right. I don't know of any company now days that comes close to Ruger's customer service.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I think the extra few ounces for the 357 Mag version would be a good thing for recoil, even if you only plan to shoot 38 Spl. in it.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I think the extra few ounces for the 357 Mag version would be a good thing for recoil, even if you only plan to shoot 38 Spl. in it.
The LCR357 is well worth the extra money in my mind.
Having the flexibility of both calibers is hard to evaluate.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 38 LCR that was bought when they were just introduced.
It has thousands of rounds fired without issue.

As people have stated it is not a fun gun to shoot, no light weight 38 is.
My answer was to also get a LCR in 22 lr, that is fun to shoot.
And practice with the 22 has improved my 38 shooting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought the original LCR .38 Special +P model, aluminum frame and all.
I am not worried about wearing it out. The first 500 rounds or so may go pretty quickly, as I continue to get accustomed to the gun and point naturally with it. But, as has been pointed out, this is a lightweight CCW gun that is not particularly fun to shoot at the range.

I bought it for three reasons:

1. The simplicity of a DAO revolver.
2. The weight.
3. The weight.

I cannot even carry an all-steel J-frame, I am too weight-sensitive, and as the first rule of possibly getting into a gunfight is to have a gun, here I am. The original LCR weighs 15.75 oz. fully loaded with 5 x 158 gr. +P cartridges, and, no, I don't want the extra 5 ounces that the .357 Magnum version would cost. I'm very pleased with my LCR.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts