Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any ideas? I've had this for almost a year. Bought used but BNIB condition (no, this wasn't there a year ago)
According to my reloading log, it's seen just under 3000 rounds, all being
cast 158gr
3.0gr Bullseye
chrono'd at 692 fps avg

I wouldn't think flame cutting with this bullet weight but what the hell do I know:rolleyes:

This evening I was taking a close look & at first thought it was maybe lead buildup from all the cast I shoot. Used a flathead to give it a little scrape then a bronze brush & realized it was metal, not lead fouling.

I know. Contact Ruger. I will this week but thought I'd post here in the mean time as to maybe why this happened.
And yes, I'll update when I contact Ruger.

· Registered
6,946 Posts
The cranes on all LCRs are investment cast stainless steel. It's the only investment cast part on them, according to the Guns & Ammo interview with their designer (posted somewhere here on RF).

Found it:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/a-brand-new-spin-ruger-lightweight-carry-revolver-review/

Both of my LCRs have a flat spot on the crane. You can just see a corner of it peeking out in your photos. I think you'll find, with some careful picking and cleaning, that you have lead build-up and can uncover the flat spot on your crane.

You can just see the flat spot at the top of the crane, right in front of the cylinder, in this G&A photo:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/ruger-lcr/gaap-090300-rug-7.jpg

A maybe better photo here:

http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/ruger_lcr_review_1.jpg

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bearcatter I think I see the flat spot you're talking about in the pictures. Tomorrow I'll pull out the ol' desktop lamp/magnifier for my tired 43 year old eyes & carefully see if I can remove any buildup.....

I couldn't wait lol.

You were right. Just lead buildup. Some carefully scraping & a dremel with a brush on low speed cleaned her right up....minus the scratches from the not-so-carefull-flathead:rolleyes:
I'll keep a closer eye on it from now on. Thanks again.

Rob

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Glad to see it turned out OK. The only cases of flame cutting I've seen have been in the upper shroud near the barrel opening.

3000 rounds of 158gr hand-loaded ammo is a pretty good torture test for the old girl though! :eek:

I'm glad there are some of you doing it, because then I can get an idea of what mind can take. :D

· Registered
864 Posts
spitting lead..

I had a S&W K19 357 do that sort of thing to me, all over, and on the top strap too.
The cylinder bores were shot out, and the lock work was loose.

I've always taken the LCR as a carry a lot, shoot a little..
I wonder if 3k rounds and it's shot out already?

(my ole K frame lived 2 LEO careers before I got it).

One could tell the cases that were shot in that particular K frame of mine that was shot out, they wouldn't fit in any of my other 38's or 357 cylinder bores. Some bores of the cylinder were worse than others, cases from some bores didn't fit in others of that same cylinder.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to see it turned out OK. The only cases of flame cutting I've seen have been in the upper shroud near the barrel opening.

3000 rounds of 158gr hand-loaded ammo is a pretty good torture test for the old girl though! :eek:

I'm glad there are some of you doing it, because then I can get an idea of what mind can take. :D
My thoughts exactly about the flame cutting. Top strap looks good so I imagine it's EASILY got another 3-5k left in her. Probably more as my range loads are pretty light.
It took me about 2k rounds and around 6 months before I got truly comfortable & could shoot poa/poi. My poi was always left 2" at 10yds. Took a while to "learn" to shoot a snubie:D

spitting lead..

I had a S&W K19 357 do that sort of thing to me, all over, and on the top strap too.
The cylinder bores were shot out, and the lock work was loose.

I've always taken the LCR as a carry a lot, shoot a little..
I wonder if 3k rounds and it's shot out already?

(my ole K frame lived 2 LEO careers before I got it).

One could tell the cases that were shot in that particular K frame of mine that was shot out, they wouldn't fit in any of my other 38's or 357 cylinder bores. Some bores of the cylinder were worse than others, cases from some bores didn't fit in others of that same cylinder.
Don't think it's shot out. More of, hate to admit it but neglect I think.
Its my daily carry and I take it to the range at least once a week. I run between 50 and 100 158gr cast thru it each time. Give it a quick look down the barrel to make sure I'm not leading up & then drop my SD gold dots back in.
Also I don't size my casts. Just drop'em 'n shoot'em. That might contribute to the spitting/buildup.
No noticeable barrel leading in this lcr or my gp100 with these casts so I've never considered slugging the bore or cylinders to resize...Again I think it's just neglect on my part.

Afterall 2500+ rounds without a THOROUGH scrubbing is pretty damn good:D:D

· Registered
6,946 Posts
Glad it worked out! Shame about the scratches, should polish out some from further cleanings, which it sounds like you could do more often?......:rolleyes:

Ruger supposedly put "In excess of" 10,000 rounds of 158 gr +P through some prototypes without any significant wear or dimensional changes. That sounds like yours is just getting broken in?

I'm sticking with 125-130 grain .38s, and I clean my LCR-357 after each fifty round session.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.