Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll,
I just bought a LCR9. The first time I shot it I had problems with it shearing off pieces of the bullet. One piece hit me on my left cheek and drew blood! I also found shards of the bullet on the white rag that I left on the counter where I ejected the brass in the moon clip. I contacted Ruger and they sent me a R/A with a prepaid shipping label. I sent it to Ruger from CA to NH on 8/28 it was returned the following Friday! They replaced the cylinder and the pawl and test fired it. they even sent me the target. Great, expensive, attempt at customer service.
I returned to the range yesterday - experienced the same thing with some reloads from LAX and some Freedom Ammunition Elite loads that kept getting stuck and would not eject properly as well as, the shearing issue. So today I shot some Lellier & Bellot 115 gr FMJ and some Remington UMC 115 gr FMJ. Same problem, shearing and the Remington hit me in the cheek again - yes blood! Send it to Ruger again? Not sure how to proceed.:

Attachments

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I sure wouldn't shoot it again. Im sure Ruger will make it right. I cant imagine after fixing it once already, that they would even attempt it again. I would hope they just give you a new one with a few goodies to help ease your pain.

Good luck my friend.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Ruger is well known for cylinders that are out of spec. When you buy a new Ruger revolver of any kind you need to add a trip to the gunsmith as part of the purchase price. But I would keep sending the gun back until the timing issue is corrected. Reaming the cylinders is something you expect to do to any revolver. Lead flying out of the cylinder gap is not part of the bargain.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Ruger will make it right if you give them the opportunity.
Send it back as many times as necessary to get it right.
It's on their dime.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
Ruger is well known for cylinders that are out of spec. When you buy a new Ruger revolver of any kind you need to add a trip to the gunsmith as part of the purchase price. But I would keep sending the gun back until the timing issue is corrected. Reaming the cylinders is something you expect to do to any revolver. Lead flying out of the cylinder gap is not part of the bargain.
No truer words have been spoken!! As much as I like Ruger's – you have to watch their cylinder timing like a hawk. There are a couple of videos floating around that show them assembling GP-100's. Based on the videos, you would think that every chamber on every revolver they make is being range-rodded before shipment. I have found their single actions to be worse in this regard than their double actions. Bottom line: it just isn't safe to walk out of the store with a Ruger revolver that you haven't thoroughly checked for cylinder timing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts