Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the two, is there a compelling reason to put down the large dollars that the 101's command?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it I guess, but I don't think so. Now if Ruger reissued the SP101 9, I might have to think about it. The SP should be better at the range and the LCR will be better in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Though I have NO interest in any 9mm revolver, one should remember that the SP is all metal. The LCR's have a "plastic" frame.

·
Registered
286 Posts
while I don't own an LCR, I do have a buddy that carries one, and I get to shoot it fairly often. its a good shooter, I was on my 50 yard plate in about 3 rounds. its nmot a bad gun.

the one I BOUGHT however...is an SP101. I do carry it in addition to my glock, and shoot the hell out of it. As far as a 9mm revolver....rather have a 357.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Though I have NO interest in any 9mm revolver, one should remember that the SP is all metal. The LCR's have a "plastic" frame.
"plastic frame"? ... :confused:
"The powerful LCR-357™, 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models are made from blackened 400 series stainless steel." ... :rolleyes:

·
too great for words
661 Posts
If you just want a snubby to shoot the everloving crap out of then an SP101 in 9mm might be worth it to you. Doesn't seem worth it to me though. Even if you did manage to wear out an LCR Ruger would probably fix it on their dime so it mostly comes down to felt recoil. That's assuming you don't want the SP just because.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
If you just want a snubby to shoot the everloving crap out of then an SP101 in 9mm might be worth it to you. Doesn't seem worth it to me though. Even if you did manage to wear out an LCR Ruger would probably fix it on their dime so it mostly comes down to felt recoil. That's assuming you don't want the SP just because.
I would love the SP101 in 9mm and would buy one if available.
I would never abandon my LCR357 and LCR9 because their size allows me to pocket carry in any trousers without printing.
The SP101 is too big for my body size and would print if I tried to carry

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the two, is there a compelling reason to put down the large dollars that the 101's command?
Shouldn't be any different than the 357. SP is all steel, so heavier and more robust. SP has triple lock, LCR has no crane lock. SP is easy to take apart, and no screws. Can do spring swaps,etc. But the LCR trigger is just better. And it's light.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Never had an LCR so I can't comment on them. I have a 11 ounce S&W 342Ti Centennial that I use for pocket carry. Normally only pocket carry on a rare occasion during the Summer.

All other carry is either my SP101 in .357 or the 9mm. No crimp jump with the SP and recoil is very manageable with the weight of the gun.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Not the 9mm, but the .357mag/.38spl.
I compared specs, reviews, and side by side.
Chose the SP because it's built like a tank and I like to shoot a lot.
A little trigger work and the SP trigger is smooth as butter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts