Have you had Bullet Walk Jump Creep Jam on Your LCR 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jammed up my LCR with bullet walking out case. ..

1) Does anyone one have recommendation for best PRACTICE ball nose ammo and best self defense ammo for LCR?

2) What happened
- Shooting my reloads, plated ball practice ammo, not self defense it jammed. After 3 shots, one of my reload bullets poked out and stopped the cylinder. I was able to push the bullet back in and free the gun up. I shot 30 rounds and it only happened once. As you might know the 9m has a taper not a crimp like a 38 Special. I don't over do my taper on my 9mm reloads (for practice only). Ball nose bullets are taller than hollow point to start with.

3) I plan on using Federal HST LE 115 +P or Speer Gold Dot 115 +P hollow point, the same ammo I use in my 9mm pistols (Kahr CM9 and G26). I am guessing NOT using +P will help..... Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've never had a crimp jump in my LCR 9mm and I've had it since they first came out. I've shot factory loads and 124 grain reloads. I carry HST 147 grain for my self defense rounds.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,227 Posts
gmcpilot, Bullet jump is a product of the bullet's momentum versus the weight of the gun so it happens much more often in a lightweight pistol. You can't do much about the weight of your gun but you can select ammo with a lower momentum. To minimize bullet jump (assuming a proper taper crimp), compute the momentum of your ammo and select the ammo with the lowest momentum. In other words, the lower the momentum, the less risk there is of bullet jump.

Momentum = velocity in fps times bullet weight is pounds. There are 7000 grains in a pound so to convert grains to pounds, divide your bullet weight by 7000. As an example, let's say you have a 115gr bullet at 1200 fps ..... 115/7000=.0164, 1200 x .0164 = a momentum of 19.71

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gmcpilot, Bullet jump is a product of the bullet's momentum versus the weight of the gun so it happens much more often in a lightweight pistol. You can't do much about the weight of your gun but you can select ammo with a lower momentum. To minimize bullet jump (assuming a proper taper crimp), compute the momentum of your ammo and select the ammo with the lowest momentum. In other words, the lower the momentum, the less risk there is of bullet jump.

Momentum = velocity in fps times bullet weight is pounds. There are 7000 grains in a pound so to convert grains to pounds, divide your bullet weight by 7000. As an example, let's say you have a 115gr bullet at 1200 fps ..... 115/7000=.0164, 1200 x .0164 = a momentum of 19.71
Thanks I know the physics. I have a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering. That still does not help. Also you can not measure these forces based on bullet velocity... Gun acceleration/movement needs to be measure. If gun is held firm with little to no recoil the forces to pull bullet out are lower. This is related to pistol malfunctions due to holding the gun too loosely (i.e., limp wrist).

Pistol ammo in revolvers bullet creep is not new... The reasons are known. With 38 Spl there is a cannelure or grove in the bullet that the case is crimped into. 9mm does NOT have a crimp only a press fit. The taper of case in last step of reloading is to get the the case Dia. under the 0.380 inch max diameter and parallel with bullet, so it will seat in barrel setback. You can crank the taper down in the die but that is not normal. However I will experiment, as being a reloading I can get another thousands or two taper....

Pistol bullets have the opposite problem with bullet getting pushed INTO CASE due to loading. The bullet hits the loading ramp before going into the breech. Load and unload your pistol ammo enough you can cause the over length to decrease which increases bullet case pressures.

Here are some obvious solutions that don't require pointless made up math... ha ha
1) Use lighter bullet
2) Use standard pressure ammo (not +P)
3) No limp wrist, less gun movement the better
3) Use known ammo to resist bullet walk by recommendation or own testing (see #4).
4) Experiment: (my normal ammo), mark them. I will test the following:
a) My Reloads - 115Gr Rainier Plated, Win 231 Ball Powder, overall length 1.1345 [1.169 max], neck 0.375 [0.380 max] (ball)​
b) My Reload - Modified - Above with more taper, less powder, shorter overall length. Current powder charge middle range for 115 Gr bullet (ball)​
c) Speer Gold Dot 9mm Luger +p 124 Gr Length 1.125 neck 0.376 (hollow point) (Self Defense)​
d) Federal HST 9mm Luger +P 124 Gr Length 1.105, neck 0.375 (hollow point) (Self Defense)​
e) Hornady Critical Duty 9mm Luger +P 135 Gr Flexlock Length 1.132, neck 0.3745 (hollow point) (Self Defense)​
f) Federal 115 Grain FMJ RN Part# WM5199 Length 1.141 neck 0.375 (ball)​
g) Winchester 115 Grain White Box Length 1.1525 neck 0.3745 (ball)​
h) Remington Green/White box UMC 9mm Luger 124 GR FMJ Length 1.104 neck 0.378 (ball)​

I will try and report my findings. I can reload my practice for more resistance to bullet creep. The only ones that count are the Self Defense rounds [ c), d) and e)].

Not a fan of the Hornady for pistols simply because the Fed HST and Speer Gold Dot are better rounds (chrono speeds of Hornady below spec vs the other hot +P defense rounds which meet or exceed spec out of my Glock 19). However if the Hornady proves to be creep resistant and the HST and Gold Dot are not, then I will load Hornady Critical Duty...

Again ANYONE have real experience with LCR 9mm and a specific ammo.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow, that was quite a response right there. With your fancy masters degree in mechanical engineering seems like your issue should be a no brainer for ya.

Good luck.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,227 Posts
gmcjetpilot, You must have slept through the classes about kinetic energy..... or maybe you just don't know beans about reloading and what causes bullet jump. I think you need to find a different forum that is willing to put up with your attitude problem. Meantime, I have put you in quarantine for a month. If you can drop the arrogance, you are welcome to come back, otherwise bye-bye.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I haven't been on the forum in a few days and Wow! This conversation went down hill in a hurry. I was going to suggest that I don't think copper plated bullets ate a good choice for this purpose; they are soft lead and the copper plating is rather slippery. You'd have to taper crimp the bejeezus out of them to hold them in place. But I guess my opinion is superfluous at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.