Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i decided to get the ruger lcr 9mm, the shop called and i went to get the gun. they never even opened it up, waiting on me to do that, i opened it and there she was. but there was not one moon clip in the box, the shop called ruger and they are sending them a set. when i got home i called and the lady i spoke with apologized and even tho i told her the shop was getting them in and sending them to me, she said she would send me a set too. great customer service, has anyone with a lcr 9mm ever got one without the moon clips? the lady said they have got a few calls on this but not many. love the feel of the gun, fits like a glove in my hands. thanks

·
Banned
95 Posts
Picked up one today myself and the gun does indeed feel perfect for me also, mine did however come with clips. Fit/finish quite good; no visible machining marks, cylinder lock is very tight with just a bit of movement when open, trigger really has to be experienced to be appreciated.

The shop also had a lcr .22 wmr and I got that also-one click of the trigger sealed the deal.....

Sure hope there are no range issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up the lcr 9mm about 4 weeks ago from a local sporting goods store on sale. When I pulled the trigger the first time i was disappointed (was used to my S&W performance model). But i found it was bone dry from sitting in the display case for a year. A few drops of oil and about 1500 dry fires and 400 rounds down range and that trigger is light and smooth as butter. The lcr 9mm replaced my .38 and stays in my pocket all the time.

Mine has the original release taller front sights that some have complained about but I like it as is. Works well for my old eyes and the gun can be shot well at 25 yards with a little practice.

Blazer brass 9mm bullets will jump the crimp by the 5th round fired but thats an ammo issue. Federal AE, s&b, and Hornady do not. I still shoot the blazer brass but i only load 3-4 rounds then spin and close the cylinder and start firing. I've found this is good training for me anyway to make sure I'm not flinching or jerking the trigger.

I love this gun. It actually caused me to get the revolver itch and to buy a gently used GP 100 last weekend.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
today i decided to get the ruger lcr 9mm, the shop called and i went to get the gun. they never even opened it up, waiting on me to do that, i opened it and there she was. but there was not one moon clip in the box, the shop called ruger and they are sending them a set. when i got home i called and the lady i spoke with apologized and even tho i told her the shop was getting them in and sending them to me, she said she would send me a set too. great customer service, has anyone with a lcr 9mm ever got one without the moon clips? the lady said they have got a few calls on this but not many. love the feel of the gun, fits like a glove in my hands. thanks
Mine came with the two OEM moon clips.
The OEM Ruger moon clips are the best available for the LCR, so you did well.
Good luck to you -- hope your LCR9 treats you as well as mine treats me.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i also noticed no spent casing in my box, called ruger my gun was made late september so it didn't come with one. any ruger gun made after july 2015 won't have any. i was worried there for a minute, no moon clips and no casing made me wonder whats going on. glad to see mine is fairly new at 3 months old from factory. i know i can shoot without them but gonna try and wait till the clips come in to shoot it, it feels so good in hand i'm really wanting to fire away. thanks

·
Banned
95 Posts
This isn't making me feel good at all, the clips not being in the box is not only careless but a serious deviation with regard to any ISO certification, stopping test firing (if the lack of a spent casing does indicate no test fire) is huge in my mind, real huge-both point to cost cutting big time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This isn't making me feel good at all, the clips not being in the box is not only careless but a serious deviation with regard to any ISO certification, stopping test firing (if the lack of a spent casing does indicate no test fire) is huge in my mind, real huge-both point to cost cutting big time.
they stopped putting the spent casing in because Maryland no longer requires it. i was told that was the only reason they were doing it. they still test fire at the factory the guy told me, just don't have to package and send the casing with the gun. i was told 3 moon clips are supposed to be with the gun, however mine isn't the only one to arrive without any. i was told several shops have called saying no clips, the guy i spoke with said they have been rushed lately more than he has ever seen. he said mistakes like this will happen when things get rushed. i will post as soon as i fire it to let everyone know if the gun is ok, but it functions fine so far. thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
RE: Aftermarket Moonclips. I bought 10 at Gunbroker, they work fine on the range, making quick work of a box of 50. They do not have the slim gap between the loaded rounds, so they aren't adjustable for fit, but then they don't bend as much as the OEM clips.

I also bought the Moonclip tool, very nice workmanship, saves my fingers, loads the Ruger clips perfectly.

When I tried loading the aftermarket clips, the clips wouldn't ride down the arbor, so Clint is making me a custom arbor from a clip I mailed him.

I compared the Ruger and aftermarket clips, and the portion that is picked up by the ejector star looks identical, but obviously is just different enough to cause binding on the arbor. So I'll have two reasonably priced arbors, and a set of range clips and two (all that came with my used LCR) OEM clips for carry.

·
12,955 Posts
I use the Ranch moon clips to supplement the OEM clips. Much cheaper and work just as well. Pick up a moon clip tool while your at it too.

Ranch Full Moon Clip Ruger LCR 9mm Luger Blue Pack of 4
Gotta be careful with the moon clip tool.
I bent 3 moon clips using a moon clip tool to load -- too much leverage.
I don't use the tool to load anymore, but sometimes to unload the fired brass.

I was working very quickly and didn't get the tool into the bullet's extractor groove correctly and ended up bending the moon clip.
They were all the OEMs so I was able to straighten them out satisfactorily with a screw driver.

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
Gotta be careful with the moon clip tool.
I bent 3 moon clips using a moon clip tool to load -- too much leverage.
I don't use the tool to load anymore, but sometimes to unload the fired brass.

I was working very quickly and didn't get the tool into the bullet's extractor groove correctly and ended up bending the moon clip.
They were all the OEMs so I was able to straighten them out satisfactorily with a screw driver.
Good points.

This is the tool I use:

·
12,955 Posts
Haven't used that tool.
Based on videos it is an extraction tool only.
Is that correct?

Here's the tool I bought.

I need to make a correction to my previous post
I was working very quickly and didn't get the bullet's extractor groove into the moon clip correctly and ended up bending the moon clip.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just got an LCR 9mm from Davidson's. It came with three moon clips. However, the crane front latch pin would stick open. Oiled it and worked it a couple hundred times seems better now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts