Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited until I had the new grip and Hi-Viz sights installed for my first range day with the LCR 9mm.

This was my first use of a revolver and any firearm with such a short barrel. I loaded up 8 moon clips with the different 9mm round that I have. I was shooting on the 7 yard line.

First I noticed that this little revolver is snappy. The short 1.87" barrel produces a loud bark of fire and brimstone. My first target shots were on paper, but not grouped.

Since I'm a long-time semi-auto shooter, it took me a bit to get my grip set-up and recover properly.

Aim was off due to the different height of the sights. By aiming a bit higher (just below the 9) I was able to keep impact some what in the middle.

Once my grip was steadied and I found my aim, I was able to get a decent grouping. But the LCR is not a target gun, but defensive in nature. Keeping that in mind I was well within defensive use range.

Ammo:

Federal XM9001 115gr HP - Best Group
Freedom Munitions 115gr FMJ - Sticky Eject
Golden Saber 124gr HP +P - Good Group
Herter's 115gr FMJ - No Issues
Ranger Bonded 146gr HP - Good Group
Seller & Belloit 115gr FMJ - No Issues
Winchester White Box 115gr FMJ - No Issues
ZQI 123gr FMJ - *BAD* Need hammer to eject clip

Most of the ammo had no issues except for a little stickiness when ejecting the clip. But the ZQI ammo required me to tap the ejection rod 2-3 times vigorously with my brass hammer to get the clip to drop.

All-in-all I'm quite happy with my new little revolver. But I will need some more range time to become more proficient.

The below image shows my best group with the Federal XM9001 ammo.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been burning through 50's of WallyWorldsWhite115's for months without ejection issues, same with Critical Duty, so it isn't the price tag or nickleplating that exclusively determines ease of ejection.

I actually switch grips regularly. The stock grip is great for CCW, the Hogue Tamer is great on the range by getting three fingers on the rubber. I haven't tried the boot grip, but I doubt I'd like running 50 rounds.

Nicely, mine shoots to sights at 7 yards.

·
Banned
95 Posts
knurlednut, I think Herter is from the Czech Republic-was it steel-dirtier than others, wondering the same about Belloit-Mexico?

Appreciate that info very much.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
knurlednut, I think Herter is from the Czech Republic-was it steel-dirtier than others, wondering the same about Belloit-Mexico?

Appreciate that info very much.
The brass-cased Herters ammo is S&B from the Czech Republic (says so on the box). I do not think the Herters steel case ammo is Czech, I believe it is still Russian.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
KN I see that you installed Hi-Viz sight on your LCR did you shoot your LCR before your Hi-Viz front sight install?? Just curious if your POI changed with the Hi-Viz sight? My Ruger LCRX now wears the same front sight. It sure helps in low light situations. BTW nice group there!!! Do you like the larger grips?? I have to shoot standard pressure loads thru my LCRX .38 Special too much recoil! Good luck to you!!!:D;)

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KN I see that you installed Hi-Viz sight on your LCR did you shoot your LCR before your Hi-Viz front sight install?? Just curious if your POI changed with the Hi-Viz sight? My Ruger LCRX now wears the same front sight. It sure helps in low light situations. BTW nice group there!!! Do you like the larger grips?? I have to shoot standard pressure loads thru my LCRX .38 Special too much recoil! Good luck to you!!!:D;)
Yes, the sights were changed first. I wanted to become accustomed to the new ones immediately. Money well spent for these old eyes.

The larger grip was changed first as well. I could tell that my gorilla sized hands (8-1/2) wouldn't do well with the smaller grips. They are a bit bigger, but don't pose any issues when carrying.

*sorry about the late reply*

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Hey KN not problem we all have things that come up glad to hear you like your LCR. I need to get out and try out my LCR .22Magnum!!!

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Thanks for a good range report.
Have you decided on defensive ammo?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I picked my LCR up Wednesday night and went red eye shooting at the department range.

Shot great. I out about 100 rounds of Speer Lawman through it. Had 2 walk out of the crimp. Didn't use those any more because I did a reload prior to shooing the 5 rounds. Round 5 walked out and was still in the cylinder and I was able to load my second loader in. Luckily I noticed the powder in the case with no round.

I the shot about 200-250 federal HST, mix of 124 and 147 grains. No issues with either of these. Good amount of recoil, but very accurate and no crimp issues. Great little gun. I used my Simply Rugged holster for my SP101 for the qualification and when the gun is in there, it feels like am empty holster compared to when the Sp101 is in there.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
I shot mine for about 6 months and then installed a Pachmar pro grip on it and saw a tremendous improvement. Much easier to control and more comfortable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts