Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great little KLCR, but the 9mm with moon clips is really intriguing. The quick reload removes some of the reservations over having only 5 rounds. I am seriously thinking of consolidating calibers and going with the 9 over the 357. I would trade the 357 with boot for the 9. I also have an LC9 and other Ruger 9s so the commonality of ammo would be a nice convenience. I don't shoot much anymore, just keeping home and personal defense tools. Think I am crazy?

·
Banned
151 Posts
9mm has a lot of recoil,,,careful about bullet jump in the cylinder,,9mm has little crimp...in 357 u can shoot 38.....

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I have both an LCR9 and an LCR357.
My EDC is the LCR9 and I like having the LCR357 as a backup.
As mentioned in a previous post, the 9mm has a little more recoil than the .38 Spec and there is the possibility of crimp jump.
I carry Hornady Critical Duty 9mm+P 135 gr Flexlock.
This round uses a CANNELURED BULLET WITH CRIMPED CASE which ensures no bullet setback.
Check the specs here:
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 9mm Luger+P :: 9MM LUGER+P 135 gr FlexLock® Critical DUTY®
I have certainly not fired as many Hornady as I have reloads, but no crimp jump with the Critical Duty.
In more than 2,100 rounds fired I have experienced 7 crimp jumps -- all were reloads and the rounds sit right in front of me here at my desk.
I have not experienced crimp jump in the last 400 to 500 rounds, so maybe I was limp wristing.
At least 3 of the crimp jumps occurred while shooting one handed with my left (weak) hand.
I like having one of each! :)

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
A lot of us as we get older want to consolidate guns & calibers. So maybe a 9mm LCR is a good idea. My budget feels good to have the one LCRX that I have right now!!!

·
12,955 Posts
A lot of us as we get older want to consolidate guns & calibers. So maybe a 9mm LCR USA good idea. My budget feels good to have the one LCRX that I have right now!!!
As a matter of fact, I mostly fire my LCR9, LC9 and Glock G26 -- all 9mm.
I like the 9mm ballistics, and the availability and price are excellent

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Well .380 is a 9mm bore as well so yes 9mm a popular caliber I still prefer the revolver end in .357/.38special

·
Registered
22 Posts
Be aware that there is currently no replacement sights for the LCR9. It uses the same shorter sight as the LCR22 and 22 Mag. If you use the taller sights, such as those on the 38 and 357, the point of impact drops substantially. I confirmed this by trying an XS sight on my LCR9.

·
12,955 Posts
Be aware that there is currently no replacement sights for the LCR9. It uses the same shorter sight as the LCR22 and 22 Mag. If you use the taller sights, such as those on the 38 and 357, the point of impact drops substantially. I confirmed this by trying an XS sight on my LCR9.
Interesting.
Thanks for the info.

Edit:
I just compared my LCR357, LCR9 and LCR22 and the sights are identical.
I did replace the front sight on my LCR357 with a green HiViz sight, but the original was the same.
Please explain your point.
Thank you.

Ok.
By looking at the pictures of the different LCR calibers on the Ruger.com website I see what you are saying.
I did not notice a difference by comparing the actual revolvers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a great little KLCR, but the 9mm with moon clips is really intriguing. The quick reload removes some of the reservations over having only 5 rounds. I am seriously thinking of consolidating calibers and going with the 9 over the 357. I would trade the 357 with boot for the 9. I also have an LC9 and other Ruger 9s so the commonality of ammo would be a nice convenience. I don't shoot much anymore, just keeping home and personal defense tools. Think I am crazy?
I read an article that says that in most personal defense situations, the number of rounds that settles the issue is 2-3. So with me, reloading is an issue that can be put on the shelf, and I'll just concern myself with which LCR to get based on caliber. Since I already own .38s and reload for it, and the .38 LCR is 25% lighter than the .357, it'll be that.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Not crazy. I practice caliber discipline as well.
+1 on discipline. Years ago I had too many calibers to reload. Recently upgraded everything but settled on one main caliber, but out of different platforms.

Revolvers with ACP convertible cylinders and pistol caliber lever rifles and carbines made that decision easier than ever.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The LCR 9mm is a great revolver, but I prefer the 357 LCR.
I consolidated my calibers to 9mm, 45acp and 357Magnum.
A 357 Magnum revolver is a must have.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm planning on picking up an LCR 9mm.

I carry a Glock 17 at work. I currently use a Glock 26 for a back up on the ankle, but am transitioning to a motorcycle, and don't want an ankle back up. I'm planning on using the LCR in a belly band over my vest hidden under my uniform shirt. Use the same ammo, and be able to feed an extra 5 rounds from a glock mag if 5 won't suffice. I know they won't eject properly without the moon clip, but if I need more than 10 from a BUG, i'm in trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts