Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a ruger lc9s, but i'm thinking of selling it to a friend. the gun is great and accurate but i just think revolvers are the better gun. he offered me enough for it that i now with the saved money i have can get a lcr 9mm. now the 9mm lcr is the lcr i want, not the 327 or 357. i have over 3000 rds of ammo and growing monthly so 9mm is what i want so i won't have to start buying up another caliber. how many of you have the 9mm?, how has it been?, and would you buy another?. also i will be using this for conceal carry, thanks for any help.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I also have made the decision to go to a revolver for CC.
I have a Glock G26 that is perfect.
9mm, small enough to pocket carry, 10 round magazine, very accurate and never a malfunction.
My EDC however is my LCR9.
It is in a pocket holster on my person all my waking hours.
The ballistics are favorable, accuracy is good for a snubby, the grip fits my hand perfectly and absorbs recoil well.
The moon clips are quick and easy to eject and load - much faster than speed loaders.
The trigger is right so I don't have to worry about an AD or ND and there is no mental function required to bring the LCR9 into action, just instinct from training.
I carry Hornady Critical Duty 9mm Luger +P (or not +P) 135 gr Flexlock.
I also carry two additional moon clips for quick reloads if necessary.
I have 2,100+ rounds through the barrel and it looks and shoots like NIB.
The LCR9 is the best choice for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the LCR9. I only have about 600 rounds through it but no issues so far. After proofing it a few more hundred rounds I plan to include it in my carry.

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
I recently purchased the LCR 9mm and am converting from a LC9 as well. It's my first revolver and I love it. Ammo is cheap and I like the moon clips. The grip was small in my gorilla sized hands so I swapped it out. I also switched the sights to Hi-Viz. Major improvements.

Certain ammo tends to stick, some worse than others. I posted a range report here: http://rugerforum.net/range-reports/137321-lcr-9mm-range-day.html

Like my LC9, the LCR is holstered with a DeSantis mini-scabbard.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll second and third all that was said above; Hogue Tamer Grip, nice holster, DelFatti moonclip carrier for reloads, Hi-Viz front sight.

Easy to stage trigger, but also very smooth if you do the "full pull" without staging.

A lot cheaper to upgrade than a semi-auto. Chamfering the cylinder bores would be nice, but I don't think I want to go challenging Jerry Miculek on fast reloads.

I picked up the MoonClip Tool and saved a LOT of aggravation on mooning and de-mooning for range ammo. A box of 50 FMJ's and 10 moonclips pre-loaded makes quick work of your range prep.

Also carry Critical Duty.

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
I'll second and third all that was said above; Hogue Tamer Grip, nice holster, DelFatti moonclip carrier for reloads, Hi-Viz front sight.

Easy to stage trigger, but also very smooth if you do the "full pull" without staging.

A lot cheaper to upgrade than a semi-auto. Chamfering the cylinder bores would be nice, but I don't think I want to go challenging Jerry Miculek on fast reloads.

I picked up the MoonClip Tool and saved a LOT of aggravation on mooning and de-mooning for range ammo. A box of 50 FMJ's and 10 moonclips pre-loaded makes quick work of your range prep.

Also carry Critical Duty.
Which moon clip tool did you get?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My LCR 9 is two days old and has 100 rounds through it. I was afraid that it would have too much snap, but it doesn't. Shooting it is like eating peanuts. Thank God I have only nine moon clips or I'd be broke.

Watch out for bullets jumping the crimp. Blazer unfortunately do not work well. Winchester White box do.

This is going to be the new carry piece for me. Just ordered the DeSantis Mini-scabbard for it. I'll be giving the J frames a rest for a while unless I need a .357 for some reason.

HiCap

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Most folks that I know of that have the Ruger LCR 9mm like them very well plus with the use of moon clips it makes for a fast & easy reload. Plus your ammo situation the 9mm to me seems like a very good choice. One thing to mention I feel that Hornady Critical Defense loads are very good plus with the 9mm you can probably choose from regular pressure or + P loads. With the LCR revolvers remember that they all are fairly light weight so +p loads might have quite a sharp recoil. I suggest that you try several different loads before settling on what defensive load to go with. This is just a suggestion. Good Luck to you!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
9mm ammo is inexpensive and plentyful. That fact supports an appropriate level of practice.
9mm bullet design advancements make it one of the top performers in personal protection.
9mm rounds are short, making full use of the LCR's cylinder length and barrel for velocity/accuracy.

A well made, well designed, short barreled revolver offers classic reliability and optimal function.

My LCR9mm was selected for these reasons ad well as its compliment to my 9mm auto loaders. I also hand load, and staying with one caliber is beneficial.

These are the reasons I have one. Others may have different criteria.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts