Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the LCR 9MM as a Christmas gift to myself after a lot of thought. I went to the range a few days after my purchase to shoot the gun and make sure how the rounds I chose shot. (Federal HST 124gr.). To make a long story short I shot 10 rounds of the Federal with no problems at all. I then started shooting with Remington Range ammo, after about 25 rounds I started having a problem with the cylinder properly rotating. My initial thought was the crimp, of the ammo but on inspection was not the problem. I continued to shoot the gun in an attempt to troubleshoot the issue. I would shoot and it would perform well for a couple of rounds and then fail to rotate, at this point if I used my finger and momentarily applied just a little upward pressure on the cylinder and it would work as advertised for a few more rounds and then the same problem.

Just looking for thoughts on the issue. My gun range is the local dealer for Ruger weapons and are looking into the problem for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is the hand rising up from the breech face to stir the cylinder? You can look along the edge of the cylinder to watch the merge of hand and cylinder.

I've heard of hands with a broken or bent tip, or worn down in the frame. As to the intermittent nature; that's a puzzle.

Carbon buildup at forcing cone?
Rough mating surface where the cylinder pin drops into breech face?
Front of ejection rod not latching into front of frame?
Cylinder Arm not flush with frame?

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattle

I also treated myself to the LCR 9mm this Christmas/birthday. I was excited about purchasing this gun after giving it a lot of thought and research. However, when I got it home and dry fired it a few times I noticed a rattle on the housing unit. The rattle is noticeable when I tilt the gun side-to-side. Is this normal?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I also treated myself to the LCR 9mm this Christmas/birthday. I was excited about purchasing this gun after giving it a lot of thought and research. However, when I got it home and dry fired it a few times I noticed a rattle on the housing unit. The rattle is noticeable when I tilt the gun side-to-side. Is this normal?
A rattle from the cylinder is not uncommon. My .22 wmr lcr does it a bit, and I've read of other ones doing it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
LCR rattle is probably the transfer bar which is completely normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gun has been sent back to Ruger, waiting to hear what they find. I could see or find nothing that looked obvious as to what was causing the problem. Playing with my Mark III Hunter in the meantime.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was checking out a new lcr .38 at the lgs last week before buying my lcr 9mm and told the owner, an old friend, "hey, I broke this one..."
Same thing, new gun. Dry firing,almost every 4th charge hole the cylinder would fail to rotate. 9 times out of ten. I didn't check it out well, but did notice the hand coming up. Not sure what was going on there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Received the gun back 1/13/2016 and it now works as advertised. The repair note said that the Pawl was replaced.

Happy to have it back, thanks to Ruger for a great customer service experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
38 crx I think. Exposed hammer in a small body. Carry for my 72 year old wife. Her first Gun at her request. She does not have the strength in her hands for a Auto. Have not bought it yet. She did fire my 38 sp full size and my Judge , Any opinions ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts