Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am thinking seriously about purchasing an LCR in the next week or so for concealed carry. I was looking at the LCP, but after shooting and handling a buddy's I believe I want to step up a level in power. I just don't trust the 380 ACP cartridge to do the job - it may do fine - I just don't have any faith in it.

I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you carry your LCR?
2) Do you have a CT Lasergip? How do you like it?
3) Do you have a Tritium sight? How do you like it?

And most importantly do you have the 357 mag or the 38 spl +p version and which do you recommend? I will be carrying Buffalo Bore 38 sp +p Outdoorsman or Speer GDHP Short Barrel in the LCR.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
I have the LCR-357. I chose it mainly for the extra strength and durability of the stainless steel mainframe, versus the aluminum of the .38 model. It's nice to have the versatility of .38 and .357 ammo, but I doubt I'll ever shoot any .357s. I'm carrying Hornady XTP 125 gr .38s.

I think the extra weight, about 3 ounces, makes the balance better as it's at the front, but not noticeable for carry.

Right now I have two carry options, a Nemesis pocket holster or a Galco Stow-N-Go IWB holster. I like pocket carry better, more comfortable.

I'm happy with the stock sights, and I use the boot grip for carry as it is smaller and doesn't "stick" to fabric like the standard Tamer grip.

Most people don't seem to like the CT grip, as it is a hard polymer that makes recoil more unpleasant.

IMHO, I think laser sights are handy for training, but I prefer to not become dependent on something that needs batteries.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I pocket carry my stock 38LCR and chose it because of the weight which though only about 3-4 ounces can make a world of difference in your pocket.

I love this gun and carry it everday except for the rare occassion when I have to put my LCP back into rotation because of clothing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the .38 sp LCR usually in a IWB Stow-n-go also. Works for me. Pocket carry didn't work out for me. Seemed to be too large of a mass in my jeans pocket to look right or feel right.
The Hogue rubber grip is on it . The boot grip was too small for me to be able to shoot comfortably.
I carry Golden Saber +p in it. The recoil is sharp but manageable.
I recommend the .38 spl version. Don't want the hassle of cleaning stubborn rings out of the cylinders from shooting .38s in a .357 sized cylinder.
Anyway, that is my 2¢ worth.
The LCR is a really nice little revolver. You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you have decided that a lightweight revolver is your choice, then the LCR is your gun. I won't argue the 38 or 357 debate, but the LCR 22 is also a great choice for trigger/target practice. I have the 38 model (purchased before the 357 existed-so that was a non-choice) with the CT laser. I love the combination and couldn't recommend it more. The Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster works very well for me. I recently purchased the LCR22 for practice and love it. In short, you can't go wrong with Ruger's LCR line.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I am thinking I will get the 38 spl +p version with the Tritium night sight and Hogue Grip. I am going to order the Boot Grip to try also. I have been thinking of carrying in a Simply Rugged Pocket Protector in my carpenter pants of loose khakis and then in a Silver Dollar Pancake in the regular style jeans.

For those of you that pocket carry, how has the printing been? I really don't care much about printing most of the time, but I don't want it to be obvious I have a gun either...

Thanks!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have the 357 but carry Critical Defense 38+p. When the LCR gets carried, it's either in the pocket with Nemesis, or a Smart Carry. I have a IWB for it, but now have other guns I prefer to carry IWB now.

I got the XS Tritium Dot on mine. Love it.

I also have an LCP for when all my other guns are too large for my dress. While not my first choice, I think it will do the job if the need arises too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys I am also considering the SP101 357 Magnum 2.25" as an option. I don't think I would mind the weight since I carry a lot of stuff in my pocket normally which will be thinned way down to just a knife and extra bullets in the left pocket and pistol in the right pocket.

I am kind of worried about the longevity of the LCR since I tend to shoot all my guns weekly. I will be putting a 100 rounds a week through the pistol. I don't want to wear it out in two years...

I am going to keep this thread going and start a seperate thread on the SP101 for the same advice. Thanks for helping out!

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I have the LCR 38+P with the XS tritium sight (which I love). I pocket carry, loaded with 125 grain Golden Saber rounds. No issues with printing or bulk with most of my jeans--though I do have one pair with apparently smaller pockets that doesn't work so well.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have the LCR .357 and I too chose that for the extra strength of construction and it gives me another ammo choice. While I don't always shoot .357 I do find it easily managable with the Hogue grip.

I just purchased a Remora Holster and while I have completed my ccw paperwork I am waiting for it to arrive. I will use .357 when I am in the backcountry and .38+p around town.

I have put over 1000 rounds through it and have had no issue keeping it clean using the shorter .38's.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Oh.... and I do plan to change out the front sight although I have't gotten around to that yet.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Ruger warns that the XS sight will shoot low, in the listing on the Ruger Store website.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,281 Posts
The SP101 will carry easily on a belt, but tends to pull down on my pockets when I tried to pocket carry it. Nonetheless, it would still be what I would choose between the two. Just a whole lot more gun.

I pocket carried the LCR with Night Sights for a while. It didn't print badly, just need to make certain you get pants with large enough pockets and loose enough to avoid printing. I just used a Blackhawk #4 fabric holster.

A screw was walking out of the crane latch and it would cycle with the cylinder open. Sent it to Ruger and they patched it up, but I had moved on to something else, so it guards the safe these days.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have the 357 (KLCR), which I bought both for the additional weight to reduce recoil, and because my carry load is a moderate .357 (short barrel Gold Dots). My most likely threats are likely to be big and chemically impaired, and I want to be sure my hollow points open (those who have chrono'ed it including Grant Cunningham typically find an additional 2-300 fps over +p). I do practice with 38s, +p's, and 357s.

Sadly, I believe I have nearly every holster ever made for the LCR, but as of today I am mostly using the Simply Rugged Silver Dollar OWB. DeSantis and Galco also make good OWBs, and I also occasionally use the Stow-n-Go IWB. I don't have the laser (not legal in Chicago where my LCR [legally] lives some of the time). I use the Tamer grip since I found the boot grip inadequate for managing the 357s, at least for me. I did install the XS Standard Dot, which I like a lot. If you read the XS instructions, recommended sight alignment is different from the original sight, which may be why some have trouble shooting low. Note also that those not familiar with snubs or specifically with the LCR often initially report that it shoots low ... or high ... or right ... or left. Multiple threads on this on the forum. But with correct sight picture for whatever sight being used and disciplined trigger control, has been very accurate for me. Some variation with various loads, but really not much, and nothing significant at SD distances. I've run 2000+ rounds through it and at least as many dry practice cycles with no problems. I do view it as a reasonably priced tool; like my other tools if it wears out, I'll replace it. But doesn't look like it will be anytime soon...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have settled the question today. I went to the local gunshop and dropped the LCR and the LCP in the pocket of my jeans and the LCP disappeared while the LCR bulged quite a bit. I normally wear looser carpenter pants, but sometimes wear regular jeans and the LCR just would not work with them. If I have to carry on my belt it will be all steel. I ordered an LCP with Lasermax and a Desantis Nemesis Holster earlier. This will be my EDC if it proves reliable and will serve as a BUG to a larger weapon during the cooler months.

I will begin shopping this weekend for a SP101 357 Mag or something similar. I am going to go all Stainless OWB carry or a coat pocket carry with the larger weapon when weather allows and keep the LCP in the right front pants pocket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the market for a .357 LCR and thought I was ready to make the purchase but yesterday I shot an S&W J frame .357 with the Crimson Trace grip laser and absolutely loved the laser sights. Having the button for the laser right under your finger activated with your natural grip was way more helpful for me than I would have realized, especially with such a small gun. I tried shooting with the laser on and off, at a few distances from 10 to 25 ft, with both .38 and .357, and cycling all 5 shots fairly rapidly I was definitely more accurate with the laser than without. The $650 price tag is causing some serious heartburn but for people like my wife or myself (not military, police, etc. just average citizens who go the the range once a month) it's just easier to imagine being able to successfully use the gun for defense under stress with that feature.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.