Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family owns three Ruger LCR 38 +p revolvers they were purchased as carry guns and are well suited for that purpose. While cleaning the LCR's today I found that all three of the gun's Crane Release Button Pins had backed out significantly and had to be screwed back in. Has anyone else experienced this? Also I had a difficult time locating a screw driver to fit the slot and recessed seat. It may be something that everyone that owns an LCR should check after shooting. We only had approximately 200 rounds through each handgun.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
My 38 never had it happen. My 9mm did after the first shooting, hasn't happened since.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Same here, only my LCR9 had the screw back out.
A drop of blue Loctite took care of it.

A 0.050" allen wrench head fits it exactly.
My LCR357 and LCR22 have different screw heads -- one is straight and am not sure what the other is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
They all seem to do it. My LCR9 did it and my new LCR38 did it. Anyone with an LCR should be keeping an eye out for this screw and the top bolt nut. Blue Lock tight should help it a bit.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
On the brighter side, consider that whatever loosening of a screw or two after a good number of rounds (on your Rugers, not mine [GP's and SP's]) is nothing compared to all the screws on a Charter Arms (any kind/version) which loosen after a dozen rounds or so, no matter Loctite or not. I know there are loyalists to that brand, but not I. I "retired" a Mag Pug which I bought before I knew how bad they are.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just checked my LCR .38, and sure enough that tiny screw was starting to back out.
Found a small eye glass screw driver and tightened it back up.
Sure glad I read this post, or else--by,by tiny screw!
If it starts to back out again, then a dab of blue Loctite is in order.
Thanks to all you sharp eyed posters. Screwed it all the way in tight, correct?

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
My LCR 38 had the same problem. It was one of several problems that I sent it back to Ruger to fix. It has worked fine since it was returned. Mine was a very early issue. Sad to hear they've not modified the design to fix it over the past 5 years.

I've not yet noticed the problem crop up with my LCR 22WMR or LCR 9, but I am watching for it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My KLCR .357 did it once. A drop of blue locktite fixed it for good. Stays put now even after piles of full snort magnum handloads.

·
Banned
586 Posts
Super stiff cylinder latch.

Found an allen wrench as described above.

Backed the screw almost all the way out.

Then back in.

Latch is now worse than before.

Feels like the problem is internal and dragging or scraping.

This gun is a horrible example of LCR and Ruger quality in general.

Very stiff trigger pull as well.

I've owned 3 other LCRs and compared this junker to my Mom's.

The numerous posts on problems with LCRs shows a real problem @Ruger.

On the other hand..the 3 inch LCRx that I handled at the Range had super sweet
trigger pulls in both DA and SA, and also much smoother than my current LCR.

How does one send a gun into Ruger for repair?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had same problem with my LCR .38+p as well. Screwed it back in and keep my eye on it. Have no such problem with my aluminum and stainless Smith 642. Just sayin.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crane Release Button Pin

Noticed the same problem today at the range. After about 500 rds the Crane Release Button Pin appears to have worked itself loose. That may relate to my larger problem of the Crane Release Button being stuck, and not being able to swing the cylinder out to unload the 4 spent casings and,of course, the one live round. Cannot complete a trigger cycle with the Release Button Pin stuck. Yea, can't ship back to Ruger with a live round.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just tightened

KLCR had the same problem, just tightened it last week.

My new problem? I used a cheap allen wrench and the tip broke off and I cannot get it out of the screw head. The screw is tight, but I will need to find something to get the broken allen wrench out of it. Broke flush with the screw head. Cannot notice it without "trying" to see it.

:mad:

My fault for using cheap allen wrench.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts