Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello from a new member and thanks for having me!
I recently purchased a 3" target model LCR for my dear lady. I wanted her to have a decent combination between a full size wheel gun and a snuby so she could get meaningful practice and still have a gun that it is light and concealable. I also did not want to get in too deep cost wise until I see "how" involved she gets with firearms. The 3" LCR with adjustable sights fit the bill nicely and I am surprised at the quality level for the price point.

I felt sure we went through a lot of handling at the LGS before purchasing but now after several range trips she simply can't get the cylinder latch down enough to release and open the cylinder.

I don't seem to have much of a problem but for the size of the thumb button it does seem quite stiff and gritty. This, of course, is a no go for an SD pistol and I would welcome any feed back others have as to the same problem and any fixes that have worked. If I can't resolve this It will have to go as she struggles greatly to engage the latch.

Thanks for enduring a long first post, your patience is much appreciated...

·
Bang Bang
383 Posts
My KLCR is also hard to open.

Practice makes perfect and will help to "wear" in parts to smooth up.

Good reason to go shoot.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
The LCR cylinder release button is stiff, but I only seem to notice it when someone posts about it.
I never notice when shooting.
Might want to contact Ruger and see if there is something you or they could do to make it easier for your lady.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I noticed on my early .38spl LCR, when the latch would get very hard to open it was due to the small screw/pin backing out slightly. Others have had this same issue. Tightening the screw fixed the problem for me. You might look to see if the latch screw (visible from underside of the latch) is fully tightened. Some have used blue lock-tite to secure the pin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My cylinder release latch screw has backed out twice with very little shooting. Know to check for that now when cleaning the weapon

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All thanks for the quick replies! Appears to be an Allen head, does anyone remember what size key it takes?

Again much appreciated.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't get a chance to look it over for a few days but dug out the .050 Allen key and the blue Loctite. Ready to do battle... I will give an update.

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, took the screw out cleaned it up and reinstalled nice and snug helped some as to smoother but still too much pressure required for her to not struggle with it. The problem is overcoming the ejector spring back pressure VS the size of the detent button VS her thumb strength. I can make it work OK but anyone else know of any women having problems with this or know if a larger detent button is available after market?

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts