Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, looking for some advice on grips for my LCR .357. The standard Houges are ok, and I've also tried the LCRx 3 finger non grooved grip. They were ok too.
I REALLY like my daughter's Smith Model 60 3 finger smooth laminated grips. I shoot that gun really well, but I like the LCR trigger a bit better. The main difference between the two is the width I believe. Surprisingly I seem to like the thinner grips much better. It seems to me that all the LCR grips are a bit wider. Houge made the new 3 finger groove grips, but they still look wide and "sticky". Does anyone have experience with the new grips? Are they much different than the standard Houges? I guess a thinner laminated or wood 3 finger grips is what I would like to see.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Actually, if I would have searched a bit I could have found an answer. It looks like the new G10s are not rubber afterall, but are a slicker laminate AND were reported to be a bit thinner than the standard Houges. Sounds like I'm ordering a set. A bit pricey, but hopefully will be similar to those Smith grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are exactly where we were a few weeks ago, grip selection to optimize our LCR's.

We have several LCR's.
Neither of us like the lack of a pinkie grip on the stock 2 finger tamer grip.
So I ordered Pachmayr, G10 Hogue, and the LCRx 3 finger no-groove (78030).
The G10 Hogue i got is this one:
https://www.hogueinc.com/store/prod...ed-hammer-smooth-g10-g-mascus-blackgray/18796
It is slightly less secure on my pinkie grip than the LCRx grip. It is slightly thinner than the two finger Tamer and no rubber cushion, so akin to a wood grip in a composite material. I didn't get the smooth version, still wonder how that one would feel...
The Pachmayr (02482) is thicker than LCRx grip, and slightly more angle to the barrel than the LCRx grip in my hand. It is comfortable to hold.
Personally, I like the secure "full grip" feel of the no groove LCRx grip best, with the Pachmayr a close second.

My gf also CCW's an LCR, and I had her try all these grips. After trying them all she preferred and had me install the LCRx long grip on hers, and also picked Pachmayr a close second.
Having said all that, we both have small hands, and grips are a very personal thing, so you might differ. All the grips have something to offer, just that for us we prefer the secure feel of a no-groove full grip. We don't like having finger position dictated by grip shape. For us, it was worth the money to try them all. Having choices on the market is great for us LCR owners!

My ankle carry LCR has the stock two finger Tamer for size reasons, all others now have the LCRx grip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put a pair of G-10 red lava piranha grips on my 9mm and really like them. They are a little pricey but they are Hogues and well worth it IMO. Love that little LCR, never leave home without it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put a pair of G-10 red lava piranha grips on my 9mm and really like them. They are a little pricey but they are Hogues and well worth it IMO. Love that little LCR, never leave home without it.
QUESTION FOR Steve T
Do the G-10 grips stick to your clothes like the factory grips or are they non-snagging like smooth wood? I'm trying to find some non-snagging grips for my LCR.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUESTION FOR Steve T
Do the G-10 grips stick to your clothes like the factory grips or are they non-snagging like smooth wood? I'm trying to find some non-snagging grips for my LCR.

thanks.
From my research the G10 material is a laminate material which is smooth like wood. I ordered the smooth G10 for my gun, but they do make a G10 in "Piranha" which looks to have more of a pattern on the grips which may aid your grip from slipping.
I'll report once I get mine installed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUESTION FOR Steve T

thanks.
The piranhas grips have a pebble like texture and are not smooth. I believe Hogue makes the same grip in a smooth texture. I carry it in a Desantis Super Fly pocket holster and it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the smooth G10 grips on my LCR. They do not snag in my pocket like the stock tamers. The grips are not slick in the hand at all. G10 is a popular material for knife grips and they wouldn't put anything on a knife that didn't give a good grip.

My ONLY complaint is that they are not as comfortable recoil wise but then I didn't expect them to be.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just checking back in after my first range visit with the new, smooth G10 grips. I definitely like these better than the standard Houge 2 finger grips, and the Houge LCRx 3 finger grips. They are slimmer and just all around feel better in my hand with the 3 finger grooves. They are smooth which I personally like. I would, however, love to try the textured version just to feel the difference. For now these work great.

I was shooting mid range .357 loads and can honestly say that I felt like I was in complete control. The recoil was not bad. I shot probably 50+ rounds and could have kept going.

I would definitely recommend these grips to anyone looking for another option for the LCR. These grips bring the LCR very close to the feel of that S&W 60 my daughter has.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts