Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. Couldnt make up my mind, so I got both. :)
These two lightweights did their small part in crashing the
Federal computers last "black friday"
After a couple of months & alot of research I was torn between the 2*
So I figured hey' .. nothin like a b.u.g. for my b.u.g. :eek: :rolleyes:
.. Picked em up at the local Cabelas' last night.
Can't wait to take em for a test drive next weekend!

~ Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would appreciate it (and I think others would too) if you did a review on them. I have read plenty of reviews on both guns but dont recall one review where the individual doing the review actually owned both.

I have a 642 largely because I found a like new, no lock, molon labe version used with a good gun case for $325 and smith has such a good rep for J frames I didnt see where I could go wrong. However, I may end up with an LCR one of these days.....

Either way congrats on the guns, I am sure you will enjoy them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey' thanks for the comments guys.
I am really liking the looks' & feel' of both these sweethearts.
But I must say that after about 40' or 50' dry fires each, the
LCR's trigger is noticeably smoother' as I have read in many reports*
My next big expenditure' after a couple more paychecks will be
a nice pair of hearing protection muff's for I am plagued with
severe' tinnitus, I am leaning towards the insanely expensive
Pro Ears Gold', but till then I will just head out to my favorite logging road
& shread some paper plates' before attending the local range.

Will give you guys my thoughts in a week or two.
Thank you'

~ Joe

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not to get too off topic but could you double up your hearing protection? Not sure if that would help with tinnitus (dont know what that is) but you could get some ear plugs and cheap muffs and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
That's a good solution to the problem! Got 'em both. That's what I'm talkin' about! :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
tinnitus sucks! i use both in-ear and muffs-cant hear much else but i have my own range so i dont need to- anywho i want the 642- cant wait to read how the stack up side by each!!

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Looks like a pair to beat aces.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a 638 J frame (has a hammer that doesn't stick out). Not my favorite as with +P ammo, it's like shooting a hand grenade. Think I'm going to sell it for another Kahr..lol

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Nice pair of .38's Joe!!! Good luck and happy shootin' with both ;)

I've been doing some serious wishing on an LCR .38 Spl. for while...the S&W looks inviting however...let us know what you think of two after "the dance".

·
Registered
239 Posts
I used to own a S&W 638-3 and an LCR.
Both were .38spl models. After many trips
to the range, the LCR stayed and the 638 left.
For me the LCR had a smoother trigger and
handled recoil better. Nothing wrong with the
638, but I liked the LCR better.
I now also have a S&W 649 (stainless version
of the 638) and I like it so much that I sold my
SP101.
So now I have my heavy and light weight snubs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jealous! I've been trying to make the same decision for months. Had to budget a reloading set up along with Christmas this month, so won't be doing the John Woo thing like you! I loved the LCR I tried at the range, but think I'm gonna go with the 642 after the new year. Let us know how they perform at the range!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
My youngest son is a Federal Agent(NGIA) & carries a S&W 642 as an off duty gun & loves it. I have shot about 100 rounds through it & just cant hit consistently. I shoot the LCP & my Taurus 738( both .380) much better+get 2 more rounds. I would still like to get a J-frame so I can get better with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I originally went to buy a 642 at my LGS. The guy there suggested trying the LCR. He said that after buying the 642 I would have to pay a gunsmith for a trigger job to accomplish the smooth trigger pull that I would get with the LCR. After 100 rounds I really enjoyed the LCR. The rest is history, but like you I still think about the 642.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I have them both as well. They are both good guns. I like the 642 better. Mine is smoother and fits my hand better. I have always been partial to Smiths.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Beautiful !! You're now the proud owner of the 2 finest snub nosed revolvers in the world.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Take the 642 to a good gunsmith for a trigger job and compare the two. I bought the 642 and had the work done after the first range session. Big difference. Tried out a LCR in the LGS because of what I heard about the smooth trigger and was not impressed.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I own both the LCR .38spl and the 642. The LCR is certainly more comfortable to shoot, handles better and has a superior trigger out of the box, but is bulkier for pocket carry, and some holsters that claim to fit the LCR really don't. It's trigger is easier to lock up when not fully released. As far as aesthetics go, the LCR won't win any beauty contests against the 642.

The 642 can be had for cheaper but needs a trigger job to approach that of the LCR's negating any cost savings, and I've found it's trigger pinches my finger if I shoot it the same way as the LCR. A big plus is that the 642's slimmer profile carries easier and their are far more holsters and after market grips available. Plus, the homely LCR cannot compete with it's handsome, classic styling. Lastly, The S&W J-Frames are a time honored proven model where as the LCR is still relatively new.

There are pros and cons of both models, and each can be made to fit into a CCW regimen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I originally went to buy a 642 at my LGS. The guy there suggested trying the LCR. He said that after buying the 642 I would have to pay a gunsmith for a trigger job to accomplish the smooth trigger pull that I would get with the LCR. After 100 rounds I really enjoyed the LCR. The rest is history, but like you I still think about the 642.
I have the opposite "problem". I picked up a 642 because the price was right but really want an LCR to try out.... Maybe we should trade for a week....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts